1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Meaning of Father by The Obsidian Warlock - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Gasperk, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Gasperk

Gasperk First Year

Title: The Meaning of Father
    Author: The Obsidian Warlock
    Rating: Fiction Rated M (MPAA Rating/Portkey Rating R)
    Genre: Romance/Mystery
    DLP Category: Independent Harry
    Pairing: H/G (through Chapter 5), H/HR Afterwards

Summary: H/Hr; Post DH; Answer to the Super!Hermione challenge set by DarkPhoenix. As Harry unravels the legacy left to him in the form of the Deathly Hallows, Hermione is drawn deeper into the mysteries of her growing power. Driven by his love for Hermione, Harry prepares himself for a battle he knows he cannot survive. (From Portkey/Author's Summary)

Link: Portkey Link - http://fanfiction.portkey.org/story/7764

Found this by accident the other day, and finally got around to reading it. So far it's 5 chapters and about 62K Words, so they're decent sized. Takes place after DH, but without the horrid Epilogue. It's nice to see someone other then Harry bein' suped up. Mostly Independent Harry with a nice death of the relationship between Harry and Ginny. Also includes a more political and organized Harry, which in my opinion, makes for a good character after DH.

I didn't see this up anywhere, so I thought it would be a nice addition. The author is still working on it and is currently working on it as well as some other stories. If it has been up on the site before, then my sincerest apologies.

If anything, it's a decent read.

2. Neo2b

Neo2b First Year

I tried, but I just don't give a fuck about Herman.

3. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Truth, and thus, I am not going to read it.

4. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

So we don't like Super!Harry fics.... what makes you think we'd want a Super!Herman fic?

5. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

I will try to force myself through it only to read how he dumps Ginny. Man, it better be worth it.
    P.S. Does that mean that Herm ditches the male Ginger?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  6. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

A very well written fic, particularly the new idea of magic becoming harder for wizards all over the world, and the part about Hermione using memory charms on Ron, and Vicky. However, there are several things that don't make sense. Harry suddenly is a very good occlumens, who can play mental cat-and-mouse games with Hermione (who is a very good legilimens). Is this canon in book 7? (I have not read Book 7).

Secondly, Harry does not seem to be using his brains for much, when it comes to Hermione. The resurrection stone gets him a chat with his mum and dad, who tell him to trust the bushy haired girl; ergo, Harry trusts her implicitly. How nice for Hermione!

I will be keeping an eye on the story considering that it has several potential plot ideas.

Final score 3.5/5.

Regards,
    Maidros

7. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

Most people here won't read it because, "ZOMG!!!!! HERMAN!!!!111eleven!!!!"

I'll give it a go, however.

Says the guy who read seventeen chapters of Hermaphrodite!Hermione.

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Voldemort dies from cocaine. That always makes me smile, Voldie can't handle his blow.

I'll give it a read, review will come later.

9. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Portkey fics tends to have a pussy!Harry who can't even fart without Hermione's approval.

10. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Not all Portkey fics are bad though. I'll give it a go, but I don't like super!character fics at all so don't expect much from my review.

11. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I found it to be a story that kept me reading, wanting to know what happens next.

12. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Hmm. Hermione fics are somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

>.>

I'll bite.

Plus I like the author's other story.

Edit: Rating. 4/5

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  13. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

To my susrprise, so far this fic is unexpectedly good.

First of, Harry seems mature and confident. He's a solid above-average wizard and he isn't Hermione's puppet, which is a pleasant surprise.

Hermione is quite powerful but, for some reason, her talents don't bother me. Everything she does comes out naturally.

Author's writing pleases me to no end too.

I won't mark it until I get to the last chapter written but so far so good.

EDIT: I really like the fact that Harry doesn't angst about things. No self-loathing shit, that's refreshing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  14. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

What do you expect from a site that ships Draco/Ginny?:banana:

Anyway, I've found myself liking this fic. Hermione's powerful, but so is Harry. I'd say, now that Voldemort, Bella, Dumbledore and Snape are gone, he's the best dueller in the country.

Not only is this an Independent!Harry, but it looks like it's also going to be Political!Harry. Unlike a lot of Post-HBP H/Hr fics, Harry isn't the obedient puppy, lead around on a collar by Hermione. He is, however, extremely close to her (sharing your thoughts will do that to you).
    It has the cliched Ron-tries-to-Avada-Harry plot, but that's dealt with in a way I've never seen before. Also a twist on the standard Ron/Luna relationship. It might also interest you to know that Hermione's as adept with memory charms as Lockhart.

Ginny is close to the bitch we all know and love; he's an excerpt:

Harry dumps her, to no one's surprise. But since it's Portkey, she'll be redeemed at the end and find true love. Probably with a redeemed Draco.

We see a new faction, which I've honestly never seen before: the Vatican. Dirty hypocrites. Looks like there's a real mystery forming, too. We get some very intriguing glimpses of angels and demons, and Harry learns to fly.

I'm hesitant to give my rating for this...

...what the hell. 4.5/5.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Portkey.org, and occasionally visit the site to read good fics. Just not Draco/Ginny ones.;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  15. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I'm actually really enjoying this fic. It's extremely well written with a great characterization of Hermione and Independent!Harry. Hermione being super-powered doesn't really bother me at this stage, but if she starts throwing people around like they're rag dolls then I'll be highly annoyed.

I'm also enjoying the Political!Harry part of the story. Any good fic where Harry dabbles in politics should always have an intelligent/cunning Harry who doesn't take shit from anyone, while doing what he needs to to achieve his goals. That is pretty much what I look for in fics, and this one has them.

4.5/5

16. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

All in all, I enjoyed this fic...

If you skip those parts of "I always trust Hermione despite her trying to confund me and obliviating almost everyone" of course...

Besides that, we have here a powerful Harry (but not oh so much) due to the training, with some wit to him and also a political Harry...

The characters are quite well developed as is the grammar and writing style...

Skipping the pairings and a few other things here and there:

4/5

17. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

She was Obliviating Ron. Who gives a shit?

18. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I decided to try it...it was far better than I had thought it would be. The super powers are a bit annoying, but they seem to be all part of this ultimate mystery. She doesn't fight for him, Harry fights for himself. In a way, it's a Powerful!Harry story since he put some effort into learning new spells and being able to cast his own perfectly. His confidence also carries well, he doesn't take shit from anyone.

4/5

19. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Heh I started off at portkey, I still like their idealized version of Hermione. Still, it seems to me as if everyone else over at portkey was paired off just to get rid of them. Back before Luna everyone was shipping H/Hr & R/Lavender or Parvati.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can handle a powerful Hermione, so long as Harry is still better. Is that the case in this fic? And I'm not speaking politically or anything like that: I'm talking about his magical skill.