1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

It's from "The Wise One"

It's under Harry/ Sirius at ff.net

Really sweet in a way.

I almost fell outta my seat when Dumbledore said that. Because it shows us a mortal Dumbledore, someone who ducks when the shit hits the fan.

I have a question for Jbern.

Is it considered cheating to take in muggle instruments into the Puzzle Room?

Take in an assault rifle, kill off the champions. As only survivor, you live.

2. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I'm pretty sure that *killing* one's opponents won't get you many points. Remember, victory isn't simply accomplishing the tasks - the judges decide what each Champion's performance is actually worth.
    Besides, the assault rifle would only work the one time. Then the rest of the Champions will put up firearm-specific protections during the duels. And if he kills someone OUTSIDE of the designated Trials, then it's murder.

3. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

That's one thing I've found interesting.

And if you kill the other champions, it doesn't matter how little points you get, you win.

With the conflict evident between Muggles and Gifted (Magical), then you would believe that bullet-shields would be taught in third year, not left to independent study!

Nerve Gas?
    Shrapnel Grenade?

Makes you wonder what kinda of defences the wizarding world posesses to stand against the Muggles. Can they stop a nuclear warhead, chemical weapons, biological weapons, nerve gas?

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

You're treading dangerously close to the magic vs muggle tech debate. I personally don't care, but you probably know that there are members here who will bust a nut all over you for even hinting at muggle weaponry being superior to magic.

5. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I asked Jbern how the puzzle room would compare to the canon maze. Here's his reply

I'd imagine that HJP could bring muggle weaponry in, if he made it personally himself. Fabricating each and every single component from raw material etc. Complex modern weaponry? Doubtful. Killing your opponent? I would think that the rules would state that if you premeditated a murder you'd be sanctioned from competing.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Complex weaponry? Why not?

Turning a goblet into a mouse is much more complex than conjuring a weapon IMO. I think the harder part will be actually using it - at least said bunny rabbit works on it's own, y'know? Just because HJP knows what a Smith & Wesson is doesn't mean he'll know how to use it properly. Another problem would be anything electric, of course, since magic phucks with electronics. So yes to guns, but no to tasers.

*shrugs* Pity.

7. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

What about Explosive's?

*Evil grin*

Use a switching spell to change an improperly brewed Draught of Living Death for a competitor's potion, but their's wouldn't have the stasis charm. Boom.

Simple, effective and completely within the guidelines.

*Evil grin*

And inanimate to biological transfiguration is way more difficult than inanimate to relatively inanimate.

With biological entities, you have to ensure all the biological aspects are functioning, etc etc.

A weapon is similiar, but easier since a lot of the time it's inactive, only active when being used.

*Evil grin*

Imagine a "The Marauders Read..." of Bungle in the Jungle or TLIL?

I doubt TLIL would work as well, if just due to the character conflict inherent.

But definitely Bungle.

"Why is my son having...relations with a woman he doesn't even know?"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  8. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

The Puzzle room is an individually timed course. Each competitor goes in alone. The walls have a clearview charm on them so that spectators can see into the room. The goal is to get the dagger in the least amount of time.

The contestants will go in the order of least points overall to most points, favoring the current leaders by allowing them to see how the other's strategies worked.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that one of the first few competitors could leave something in the room...

Jim

9. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Easy, five words from Harry to anyone that asks.

I'm the boy who lived.

That's the thing. Everyone has this over inflated view of him already... he just needs to use it for camoflage.

Sure, the more canny people will see right through it, but what can they really do? Let's say he gets pulled in for questioning before the Wizengamoot. All he says is, "Hey, what can I say? "Boy-who-lived" It's not like I asked to be able to do this stuff. It's a gift." and most of the public would just nod their head and make noises of approval.

They picture his as a great wizard already... so he'd just be playing to their preconceptions a little.

I mean if he hadn't done in voldemort... hell yeah they'd be clammoring all over him. But after karking a dark lord when you're 1 year old, well... it's going to be hard to top that. Anything after that is just "ho hum... yes, we already knew he was powerful...nothing to see here" news.

It pretty much gives him carte blanc to excel if he uses it right and just downplays things as it being normal for him.

10. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Kentucky, but my heart is still north of here...
    Nice points, Garret.

I always thought he should use that angle a bit more. Maybe he doesn't want to be famous (though with the joining with James it doesn't seem to matter as much) but there are ways he could be more canny. Using the 'I'm the boy-who-lived' scenario...

11. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

Any idea on when this one will be updated? This is one of the last readable fics left.

12. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

In response to Belladonna and the poster before...

Would it be within the realm of possibility for Harry to use said fame to get his wand removed from the Restriction of Under-Aged Magic?

If he played his cards well enough, I think he could. Throw in some...monetary gifts and voila!

13. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I think y'all are giving his 'boy-who-lived' status too much cachet. He doesn't have the kind of political pull you're looking for amongst either the public or the ministry. Hell, even most of his own school seems to dislike him.

He is the boy who lived. He might be able to get away with a wand-for-hire (ie. bodyguard), but I doubt the Ministry is going to be inclined to give him a free pass on wand use outside of school. The Wizengamot wouldn't like to give anyone an exemption from their own laws without a damn good reason, and they already have an allowance for self-defence and exceptional circumstances in the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery.

Yak.

14. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

After reading this, I gave the subject a little thought (about twenty seconds worth), this is what I came up with (and posted in another thread).

15. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

True.

Could also be effective to set up a ward around Ollivanders that places a tracking charm once a pre-magical mature (17 year old) leaves the store with a wand?

Essentially Robo-Jesus, a magical radar. Something magic happens, it crops up and they're dispatched.

Still, if Harry "greased the wheels" with a few thousand Galleons, he could probably get the tracking charm removed, and the charm necessary (personality-wise) is inherent in James' memories.

Fame+Charm+Money= Tracking Charm removed.

And the entire name, "Reasonable Restriction" is a flawed name. Probably a bill introduced by Pureblood's.

Makes you wonder if Bill knows the ward to mask magical emissions. If he did, Harry could potentially get him to lay that ward on #4 Privet Drive.

16. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

You forget that in the current situation the Weasley household are held in very low esteem and in high contempt by HJ and that sentiment is returned in full by the Weasleys. Bill would probably place a hornet attraction ward instead.

17. darkendlight

darkendlight First Year

In an earlier chapter did it not state that when James Potter arrived at Hogwarts he was already a animagus and already new the first three years. If so how did he practice magic at home?

18. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I've always assumed that the more powerful families (or those which had a very powerful member in the not-to-distant past) would have cast unplottable spells on their property. Remember, Voldemort personally hosted a Revel that included at least one torture-murder in Malfoy Manor while minor Draco in residence (beginning of DH.) It's inconceivable that the known DE's weren't under surveillance from At Least the battle at the Dept of Mysteries. The Order would have been gathering information since the graveyard.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Breaches of the Underage Magic Decree are tracked by The Trace.
    http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Trace

The Trace is ineffective in differentiating between child magic and adult magic. So, magical children who are brought up in a magical household can perform magic as often as they like. Their magic is assumed to be that of adult wizards nearby. It is muggle-born children who are most disadvantaged by this law.

This is why magical children from wizarding families, such as James, can already be performing magic before attending Hogwarts.

Yak.

20. liansk

liansk Second Year

Well, that system sucks for obvious reasons.

What's stoping some asshole from taking a bus to some muggleborn's house, AKing somebody there and then leaving?

Since the ministry obviously can't tell one wizards magic from another's (hell, they can't even tell the difference between wizard's and a house elf's magic), there is nothing that stops them from throwing somebody to Azkaban for the misfortune of being the only wizard in his/her zip code.

Ofcourse there's the possibility of a fair trial, but in cannon, they don't even hold those for most purebloods, not to mention some unnamed muggleborn.