1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

I second that, dude.
    Been checking twice a day to see if it has come out..

2. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

One word:

Spore

Or any god-game in general.

EDIT:

It seems I have, once again, clicked the wrong button at the wrong time.

Whoops. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  3. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Okay chapter 12 is up. Hope you enjoy.

Jim

4. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Great read as always. Some of the dialogue seemed a little stilted, McGonagall's in particular, but the duels more than made up for it. Nice to see Harry finally proving his own and kicking ass. Hope your novel goes well.

5. Boo

Boo Auror

Now i'm sad. Nothing good to read for over a month.

Great Chapter. Glad to see Draco get what he deserves.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

"who is Sarah underhill?" = GENIUS

4.9/5, for not submitting to DLP peer pressure by opting for the mark of the cur instead of the butchering, err....duel, I mean.

"who is Sarah underhill?" = GENIUS

4.9/5, for not submitting to DLP peer pressure by opting for the mark of the cur instead of the butchering, err....duel, I mean.

7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Nice update, Jim. I liked the duels, and I'm very interested in the way Harry is going for a subtle approach with Fleur. I somehow can't see Fred and George backing down from the destruction of their goods, either. They may not have proof, but we all know they can guess who did it. That'll be interesting...especially if Fleur mentions the womanizer comments Hermione made about Bill to the long-haired, eldest Weasley sibling. I can only see the feud getting more heated and more intense. Good Job.

8. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

I've searched the internet; the only thing I could come up with was a 2006 thriller called Final Move; someone played a character called Sarah Underhill.

So, I must ask: Oh noble jbern/other DLP users, who actually bothers to leave their houses... who is Sarah Underhill? In the name of our respective kitchenware?

EDIT: Who is Sarah Underhill?

9. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

I loved the originality of HP's response to Fleur's emotional troubles. Instead of feeling for her, he shrugged it off as "teenage angst."

Way to break a cliche.

++

Oh yeah, nice use of Transfiguration in the duels.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

*cough DobbyElfLord *cough*.

11. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

I wish he had transfigured Krum's wand into a live grenade.

12. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Sarah Underhill was a Ravenclaw. First mentioned in chapter six. (The reason for how she plays into things and why she is important is mentioned in chapter eight).

I figured I'd state the obvious, as some people cannot remember details like that from previous chapters.

13. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I think he meant where Jbern got the inspiration for the name from, rather than actually forgetting who the character is.

In which case, Andromalius is right. The name is meant as a tip of the hat to DobbyElfLord, who had a similarly named character in his fic, "Altered Destinies".

14. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

The "Sarah Underhill" in Altered Destinies ended up marrying Harry/James. Intentional parallel?

EDIT: @KlavoHunter: That would either be THIS STORY or nonjon's A Black Comedy.

15. KlavoHunter

KlavoHunter Second Year

I remember reading another story where "Sarah Underhill" was a girl that Snape had gotten pregnant at the end of their 7th Year, and her and her family were slaughtered by as part of Snape's initiation to the Death Eaters - not to mention wrapping up a loose end that Snape surely didn't want hanging around.

16. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Actually Klavohunter that's the Sarah Underhill from this story. It's why HJ is tampering with the badges. Between the badges, comments to Rita, and his protest to the Board of Governor's HJ is trying to run Snape out of Hogwarts sooner rather than later.

Yes it's a tip of the hat to DobbyElfLord. I enjoy his stories and occasionally converse with him via email.

Originally, I was going with flogging. Aaran St. Vines was the one to originally bring up branding as a possible punishment. It was in keeping with the whole concept of how archaic the rules behind the tournament are.

Jim

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Loved the update, Jim, and it was worth the wait. The switching spell was brilliant and Harry's modifying the buttons was pure win.

I'm looking forward to what this "Mark of the Cur" will be. Branding "HJP" onto his hand would be entertaining, but so would be putting the image of a penis or the words "I like boys." I think an un-removable brand that magically appears as the most embarrassing thing for the moment would be brilliant--rather like having Hat around all the time to belittle him.

18. claypigeon

claypigeon First Year

Personally, I would like to see the mark as something with hereditary properties. It would be great if every future Malfoy was born with that same mark on thier hand, that would make it fitting in my book.

19. Uthra

Uthra Squib

Since the ‘The Cur’s Mark’ is the only permanent punishment, I am glad the goblet in his infinite wisdom chose it. I just see two problems with the concept:

- What prevents Draco to just wear a glove over it?
    - How is it a real humiliation when nobody recognizes it for what it is? In chapter 10 only Hat had any idea about it. What would keep little Draco from advertising it as the 'Mark of Excellence' a few years down the road? Because I doubt the Mark will state "I like boys" or something similar childish...

20. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Fantastic update Jim, duals were excellent and I like the way you're going with Fleur starting to respect HJ. I was hoping though that the bet between them would still be carried out, have both dress up since HJ lost due to disqualification and Fleur got beaten soundly. Be a good photo imo ;)

As for the branding, yep I'm grinning. Malfoy could try to hide it with a glove but I doubt anyone will think it's a mark of excellence if Rita runs a story on it, which she most likely will.

Good luck with your novel mate and I'll be looking for an update in a months time.