1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Like Some Song You Can't Unlearn by BJH - PG13

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by The-Hyphenated-One, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

* snarl *
    jamorg, you got me all excited, thinking there was some news.

2. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

Fic has been updated.. Though the recent chapter was kinda short and predictable

3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Yeah, I found it on ficwad and got all excited....and then I read it. Fucking cliff-hangers! I'll give the fic a 4.5/5 overall and a 3.5/5 for the new chapter.

4. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Cliffhanger.
    Cliffhanger.
    Cliffhanger.

I'm just dreading another long wait before we discover what Ginny is doing.

5. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Aww, it would be awesome if Tom sucks the rest of Ginny's soul out. Harry's got to fail at something, why not this?

6. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

It's a foreshadow that harry is supposed to fulfill the same damn role... Yet again.

$20 says that the GOF makes a re-appearance. The veil may or may not.

/Pessimism

7. BJH

BJH First Year

Well, you lose. The GoF played out two years before Harry makes this appearance, Cedric was used to resurrect Voldie. And the Veil has no role in my plot.

You are right in one sense though, one underlying theme of the story is the relentlessness of fate, how sometimes regardless of our actions we are compelled to be who we are. Snape is an ass, Dumbledore is a manipulative bastard with good intentions (the most evil of villians) and Harry can't help his "saving people thing".

BJH

8. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's a fair point. I said in another thread that cliche's aren't cliche's if they have an actual point, and the same holds true here. 'Repeating' things in canon is cool, so long as we don't end up reading the books over again except for a few things that Harry has (ta da!) already solved.

This is one of the fics I'm keeping an eye on, and though as has been said, Narcissa showing her true age was a bit of a downer, but it worked and makes sense, and points for not making 'ZOMG perpetual deaging potion Black sisters'

4/5

9. darkendlight

darkendlight First Year

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

You are the best necro-poster ever.

11. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Well done, sir.

12. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

This one is going to my favorites.

13. Portus

Portus Heir

The description of Harry and Narcissa in chapter 11 was hot; the figure-eights gave me a boner...:twisted:

I despise "irregardless" - it's clearly a double-negative, but it is in the dictionary, so I can't say it's necessarily wrong to use.

I agree that Harry seems inexorably drawn or "fated" to play a similar role in this universe to the one he came from. I suspect that in light of that, Dumbledore will be killed at some point, but there's no guarantee, since the Potters have lived an extra fifteen or so years as compared to the canon universe.

I really liked the story for the first 6 or 8 chapters, and I still like it, though not as much. I have to think that Dumbledore - who is not an idiot, regardless of his bad decisions - would be more adamant about finding out the truth about Harry's past, especially when this new professor, who obviously never attended Hogwarts and didn't know these kids beforehand, knows things no one else does. I mean, how would a new professor know Luna was being bullied for so long, not to mention his knowledge of Luna's pearl necklace? [At this point, a real Dark!Harry would give Luna a replacement pearl necklace...]

I didn't enjoy the preachy/soapbox!Harry, but overall, if that aspect can be toned down, and the action stepped up just a bit, I'll be more than happy. Not that chapters 14 and 15 didn't have action, but there were a few filler chapters before that, especially when going over light-and-dark magic.

So yeah, I recommend this story, but I hope we get updates more frequently than every six months, since chapter 13 was posted in August of '07, 14 was posted in April '08, and 15 this month. That usually means an author is stuck trying to write themselves out of a corner they wrote themselves into, or is running out of ideas or motivation. I hope that isn't the case, because I think the writing is well above average in this story.

14. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Probably one of three fics that are updated at this speed that I still read. The new chapter, while not up to the standard of some of the previous ones, was a good addition. 4/5

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Eh, somehow I always skipped this story. I first discovered it back when everything but H/G was unthinkable, and therefore passed it, and later never picked it up again.

I did so now :)

And, eh, it's not bad. I prefer Harry more restrained, but since Dumbledore can't/won't pick up on Harry knowing way too much, it's alright, I guess.

Not so much of a fan of Unforgivables-were-developed-for-medical-purposes, and Harry philosophising about Dark Magic (although the second part of that, the ways to power etc., was fairly interesting, as it wasn't the usual 'There is no Dark Magic'-speech) ... but then, BJH has realised that himself and said there will be no more of that; so we’re good.

And, of course, Harry/Narcissa is a very welcome addition. Goes a long way to keep my interest on the story, as it looks (or looked) a little bit like there was a lack of direction, the story was simply drifting, with no real goal -- Harry had exposed Pettigrew, freed Sirius, helped Luna, and then ... nothing.

I hope BJH has or gets an idea what his aim with this story is, tightens the plot a bit, and then we'll see. As it is, because I like Harry/Narcissa, 4/5

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, just coming into it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love these types of fics. Sure, there are gaping plot holes all over, and it just doesn't seem realistic, but nevertheless, I do enjoy reading them.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I read it, couldn't really get into it.

I feel like everything that's happened has been a vehicle to (a) write Harry/Narcissa smut and (b) wax philosophical about how the wizarding world and its key figures sucks. Nothing much is happening, really; the random Death Eater grabs are meh-worthy in terms of holding my attention.

Dumbledore not being insanely suspicious of "Harris" is stupid. Unlike fake Moody, his actions have no past experiences to hedge against and rationalize.
    2/5 for being rather boring.

18. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

It is just a reason to write a Narcissa smut, but I am not complaining. As for boring that's probably because there a lot of more exciting, and hilarious fics out there than this one out there.

I ran into Crippled Hero by bloodyangel666 and Naked Hero by akora, not sure if i got the names right, before I read Erasing History and didn't find Erasing History very entertaining, but thats because of the bias I built up from the previous two fics.

Just a theory.

19. BJH

BJH First Year

Hmm, so many things to comment on... I could do it the correct way and quote each post and reply but I won't. I'll just do it the simplest way.

First, Parvati's use of the accepted but still technically incorrect "irregardless" was deliberate. She was striving to appear haughty and just as intellectual as her sister and like with so many people who do this it backfired.

The Narcissa/Harry smut is not the reason for the story but it is one of the most fun parts. There will be a couple more of the intense scenes to come.

Harry will be engaging in some creative DE removal and his Dark side will come to the fore.

Dumbledore IS suspicious of Professor "Harris" but he also thinks that he is the prophesied one so he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. As a result he will do what Dumbledore always does, next to nothing except manipulate others into doing what he himself should have done in the first place.

Did I write myself into a corner or run out of plot? Nope, the plot is fully laid out and right on track. Did I run out of motivation? More accurately I allowed myself to be distracted by other ideas and bunnies, few of which I will likely write. One is a neat Harry/Padma and Parvati tale, or is that tail? Another pair are what would happen if wishes came true? Or more accurately why we should be careful what we wish for. What if harry's deepest wish, that his parents were still alive, came true? How would that change things? Would he be happy knowing that his parents didn't love him enough to sacrifice themselves for him? Would he be happy realizing that he is not an orphan but instead was abandoned? Secondly, what if Snivellous's wishes came true, what if Lily survived that Halloween? How would he react and what would be the implications for Harry?

Finally, when is the next chapter coming out? When I can figure out how to write a realistic conversation between two drunken men without being too drunk myself to write it.

BJH

20. darkendlight

darkendlight First Year

You could always get drunk and just tape yourself.