1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Ever notice how, when you are insulting someone by comparing them to a given animal, the animal is almost always female?
    * cranky, didn't sleep well, and looking for a fight *

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thats not necessarily true. Cur doesn't refer directly to a bitch, in fact it could well mean a male dog (is there actually a specific name for them?). As an insult it implies that you are driven by your instincts, generally your baser instincts, which to me implies a male dog, rather than a female one.

3. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

So, you always think of a woman when you call someone a:

Dog?
    Jackass?
    Assmonkey?
    Bullqueer?
    Chickenfucker?
    Big floppy donkey cock?
    Cock face?
    Rat's ass?
    Hog? Pig?

Me questions Banner: what kind o' ladies do you know? Are they man-ish?

4. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Actually, I have noticed that. And I find it semi-amusing, in a sexist sort of way.

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

In dog show catalogs, "dog" refers to full adult male. Bitch
    Horse race programs, "horse" means full adult male. Mare (fat and unintelligent)
    Cow stupid and clumsy.
    "Bull" isn't usually an insult: it's aggressive and powerful. Sometimes impulsively clumsy.

Species insult and gender-neutral:
    hog, rat, jackass, monkey (couldn't find gender specifications for monkey on wiki.)
    Donkeys ARE known for their generous size.

I figured "cockface" was comparing the person to a human body part, not a rooster. Chickenfucker: I never heard it before and I could have gone my whole LIFE without coming across that one - I would have been happier. HOW did anyone manage to come up with bullqueer? The creator never spent much time on a ranch, I can assure you.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lolwut? Had a little too much wine Banner? Maybe you should put the glass down and get some sleep. Or at least pick something better to argue over. :/

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

LOL yeah, cockface was a stretch, I admit. The gender neutral ones, IYO, are names I've never called a woman.

Not knowing chickenfucker means you have not seen the comedic glory that is Super Troopers. Bull queer I heard on Shawshank Redemption. You're probably right about being wary of that scriptwriter's choice of insults, as that movie also gave birth to "fuck stick"- no clue what that is, exactly.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  8. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

No, no, no!
    When you are cranky or irritable is the WORST time to pop off about something important! Hurling insults about trivia is just blowing off steam. No harm, no foul. Yell about leaving the cap off the toothpaste or the fact than men leave hair Every Damn Where in the bathroom. No permanent damage, and everyone will forget it by morning. And trust me, your partner will STILL leave the cap off the toothpaste the next day.
    NEVER touch something sensitive when you aren't ready to be careful. Don't discuss money or bedroom activities and especially not your in-laws! And don't make important decisions or burn bridges when what you are actually focused on is your low backache.

9. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

That would be the 9th level. That is where Brutus, Cassius and all those branded as traitors languish forever with Satan who is chained there. The 7th is the level for violent people, guarded by the Minotaur. There was an interesting online quiz a while back, probably still around hypothesising which level of hell you belong in, or whether you go to purgatory on your trip to heaven.

As a side note, the 5th is guarded by the Fallen.

10. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

A reasonable point. So let's look at the greater punishments in comparison

Okay, the thing we see here is that the punishments are of a sliding scale type.

The duel can go from a minor one (first hit)... to one to the death (depending on how aggrieved the injured party is) and the fact is that it can't be declined. So that's pretty hefty

Next is expulsion... which would be pretty severe considering no other school would likely be able to take them in so they're pretty much condemning them to a life of poverty.

Next is indentured serfdom for 3 years. Holy shit... serfdom in the middle ages? Serfs could be killed out of hand pretty much back then and be bought and sold like chattel.

finally one tenth of all the wealth and properties of the offender's family.

All of these punishments are FAR worse than a little mark that inflicts pain if you act baddly. All you would have to do to stop being punished is stop acting dishonorably.

Seems to me that it'd be a lot less bad than being made a serf under middle ages conditions for 3 years or costing your whole family 10% of everything they own.

Besides, with just the mark having a lot less recognition and stigma attached to it in the modern age compared to when it was a stiff punishment, and the goblet being magical and intelligent... who knows... a little enchantment on the mark might well be seen as reasonable by the cup... to compensate for it not being as shameful today as it once was.

Not saying Jim will even go down this alley... but it's fun to think of ways that a magical punishment could make his life difficult.

11. Lemurian

Lemurian Squib

I'm gonna build on this to clear up the circle matter once and for all.

Traitors are punished in the ninth circle of Hell, Cocytus, which is made up of four zones or layers.

The first layer is called Caina, where traitors to their kindred are punished by being immersed in ice up to their necks.

The second is called Antenora, where traitors to political entities such as a party, city, or country are punished here in the same way as those in Caina, only they can't bend their necks. <---- This might have been what whoever said "traitors to a position of trust" was talking about.

The third is Ptolomaea and is for traitors to their guests. Souls here are immersed so far in that only half their face is visible, and as they cry their tears are frozen to ice, sealing their eyes shut.

The fourth is Judecca where the souls are punished as being traitors to their lords or benefactors. They're completely immersed in the ice and their bodies are indescribably contorted. <------- Could also be what he was talking about.

Satan is punished at the very center of Cocytus for commiting the ultimate sin (treason against God). He is waist deep in ice, and has six wings that beat furiously in an attempt to escape, but only release an icy wind that ensures his punishment. He has three mouths, each of which endlessly chews the body of one of three traitors. Brutus in the left, Judas in the middle, and Cassius in the right.

None of that was necessary, but whatever. I take it upon myself to clarify all things Dante. :)

12. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

It's time I went back and reread Inferno. I'd forgotten just how marvelously rich was the imagery.

Do you suppose that "traitors to a guest" would include betrayal of friendship, or is it specific to violations of the laws of hospitality?

I guess we know where Macbeth ended up. It's odd - Lady Macbeth is actually a level shallower than her husband, conspiracy not being the same as action. Although she is At Least as evil as Macbeth.
    * shrug *
    The corrupting sneak suffered enough while she was alive, I guess. Do the batshit-crazy people get leniency?

Iago is in level two. Or maybe level four, for weakening the defenses of the city.

13. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

A fuck-stick is just another way of calling someone a "dick/prick." The more imaginative insults are a little more esoteric/amusing.

14. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

... and I assumed it was referring to a dildo.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Hog? Well, with pigs, every version is used as an insult. Hog, pig, piglet... and old sow, which evokes much the same imagery as calling someone an old mare, though sow adds 'fat' to the 'old, tired, and maternal' you get with the old mare insult.

As for jackass, that's male. A female ass is called a Jenny (lol, I can almost hear the Ginny insults rolling through DLP's collective mind right now), the young are called foals.

Lucius Malfoy and his inept son could certainly be accused of strutting around like a peacock, which is doubly appropriate, considering they keep the birds on their property. The peacock is, rather obviously, the male of the species, with the female being a peahen.

This being post 411 for me, I suppose it was appropriate that I be informative.

EDIT:
    And how cool is it that it resembles Harry's lightning bolt, bound by walls? In many ways, Draco was constrained by his (and, indeed, his father's) obsession with Harry. It's even the reason he'll now be marked.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    I can see where you're coming from Garret. Would it perhaps make sense for the mark to burn whenever the bearer tries to conceal it? To ensure that it is visible, and thus that the bearers shame is visible.

17. Boo

Boo Auror

It would burn every time he put his hand under his quilt when he slept or when he is putting his robes on.

18. Mordecai

High Score:
    Not necessarily. If you allow for the possibility that magic can have limited sentience, then it would only burn when he is deliberately concealing it.

19. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

Not that that would be a bad thing. The little bastard needs a constant reminder of how he fucked up.

20. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I wonder how the rest of the Sly students are going to react to this? Draco took a nasty and small-minded shot at Hogwarts' second champion, the Whole World knows who did it, and the Champion won anyway!
    Not cunning
    Not Subtle
    Doesn't work to any long term goal
    SURE to be noticed, and tracked back
    Dragging the House name through the mud.

Petty spiteful useless.

I don't remember: did they check to see if Draco had an accomplice?