1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FF7: Crisis Core for PSP

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Subcomandante_Taco

Subcomandante_Taco Seventh Year

My reaction is completely opposite to yours when I replayed FFVII on my PS2.

When it first came out, I didn't really like the game. Thought it was pretty boring, and messy.

Now, a few years ago when I began replaying it on my PS2, I thought it was pretty damn awesome. Still do.

As for the rest of FF series... Six is great, Seven the best, Eight I didn't like, Nine I hated, Ten I really enjoyed, X-2 I somehow managed to enjoy a lot, and Twelve is meh for me.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I never owned a playstation so I had to borrow the console and FFVII from a mate who never had the patience for it. I didn't finish the first disc of VIII, and never bothered with any of the later ones. I tried FFVI on an emulator a couple of times but never got into it despite numerous rave reviews. The topdown, 2D, old-school graphics look was a big turn off for me.

FFVII and Golden Eye both rocked my world back then. I had to borrow the consoles and games (the best we could afford was SNES and a few games), but I loved them. Especially 4-way split-screen Golden Eye. I was the first in my circle of friends to figure out circle-strafing. Fuck, yeah.

FFVII was more of a lonely love affair. I never found anyone in my home town who liked it as much as I did. The FF gameplay formula revolts me now. The only FF sequel I regret not giving a chance is Tactics. I might have liked that one, who knows.

You have no idea how goddamn disturbing that is.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  3. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

Just a quick by the way, Aerith is the original name for Aeris. It wasn't translated to Aerith originally for marketing purposes. They let it be Aerith in this for some consistency internationally. Why they didn't do that previous is stupid. But there you have it.

And Vash is right. But the story for Crisis Core really is enjoyable. The ending cutscene(s) last for maybe thirty minutes and kept me glued to the screen.

EDIT: FFT has the most well put together story of any FF to date. You should get War of the Lions, its remake, if you have a PSP. Same as the original with several fan-services.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Actually I kinda liked FF9. I mean the character designs were not all that great and it was the first time the hero wasn't a warrior/soldier but I found the story interesting to keep me hooked. I also happen to be a sucker for a fairy tale like setting so that probably helped it along.

I hated FF8 it felt like after the giant they created of 7 they just needed a bridge between 7 and 9.

Ten and its sequel were a fucking nightmare, but Auron was kinda cool, and I really didn't mind Yuna from the first game either, second game Yuna was fucking stupid.

Never played eleven, I hate mmorpg.

Twelve would have been kick ass if...

1. No Van

2. No Penelo

3. They actually had character classes

4. Stricter limits on the ability bored.

I get a tad overly excited when something goes my way, if my Grandma is to be believed my Uncle was the same way, I get a kick out of how uncomfortable it makes people feel.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  5. Subcomandante_Taco

Subcomandante_Taco Seventh Year

Agreed on all four.

Van is like an even more irritating version of Tidus, and Penelo an even MORE irritating version of Tidus.

I liked the idea of gambits though.

6. Cruentus

Don't care. Aeris was how I first saw it and that was what I used ever since. Besides I find it funny that she's named after the god of war:D

7. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Ares=/=Aeris. They're similar, but not that similar. Also, I agree with you on the first part. Aeris is how I first saw her name, thus she can never be anything but Aeris to me.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

5. Balthier dying in a fire. Gods, I hated him...

9. Cruentus

I didn't much care for him either =, but when you compare him to the wrongness that is Van and Panelo I find I just don't care about enough to hate him.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never really gotten in to FFXII, and I'm a fucking huge Final Fantasy fan. It's just too damn long - feels like there's a cut scene every ten minutes. So you have a good graphics system, whoop-de-fucking-doo, and I share the hatred of Vaan. He's what, 14? And he bosses around adults? No way.

That, and I really hated that they took out the original battle system. At least with the battle screen I had a chance to run away if I was getting my ass kicked, without having to worry what I was running away to. FFXI was different, that was online, you can't really have battle screens in a MMORPG. Not that it makes any difference to me. Last MMORPG I played was Planetside.

Other than those two I've loved every other FF I've played. Haven't gone further back than FFVI though, I've gotten used to the FFVII+ graphics, so goin back to SNES graphics ruins it for me.

Aekiel

12. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I wouldn't bet on a FFVII remake. It would cost too much and take too much time to make it, they'd have to start over from scratch, plus they have other game they need to make first. The tech demo was just that a tech demo. They did it only to show off the graphics for the ps3. They did the same with the ps2 and FFVIII.

But to stay on topic I saw too many negative things about it to even bother buying it. Really sounds like a game for fanboys.

13. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No, it's a game that makes fanboys. There is a huge difference. I suspect that most players had never heard of Final Fantasy before FFVII blew their minds.

FFVII was the first Final Fantasy game to be released on the playstation. It's one of those phenomenal watershed games that changed the way people looked at and judged video gaming. It still inspires nostalgia amongst those who played it.

14. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

FF7 was the only game I played through several times.

FF8 was payable but had a shit plot.

Never bothered with 9.

10 was great. Blitzball was my favorite mini game, almost a game by its self.

I dont have a PSP so...

15. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

I've been making my way through Crisis Core and loving it. The battle system is ok but no WAY would I want it in a FF7 remake. The randomness factor in both limits and leveling just annoys me on some occasions.

Will there be a FF7 remake? I assume that Square would be morons NOT to. As said above, people would buy a peice of garbage if somebody slapped the tittle FF7 on top. I fondly remember playing FF7 late into the night.

And really wtf do you mean you needed multiple playthroughs to understand the plot? Yeah there were were some major plot twists but it was easy enough to work it out if you explored a bit for background cutscenes.

Heh, I acutally liked the name 'Aerith' better than 'Aeris' :)

If they were going to make a remake I would love either a FF7 remake or a Chrno Trigger remake. Either would be orgasmic.

16. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    I wish they'd bring Chrono Cross and Trigger over to Europe, it kinda sucks missing out on 'one of the greatest games of all time'...
    Why weren't they released in Europe, anyway?