1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Happily Ever After by Jeconais - Teens - Gabrielle

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by bornagainpenguin, May 25, 2008.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rock, thy name is DLP.

mjc, get out of our rock.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

Prologue turned me off. Too short and corny for my tastes .

3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Remove yourself from Jeconais' cock and then come back and try again.

4. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Same thing Ikaros Mephisto mentioned:
    In a loud voice, he said, “Those silver lines are connections to Voldemort’s Horcruxes. They are containers for Voldemort’s soul, which was why he didn’t die the first time that Harry defeated him.”

Yeah ... no. Just no.
    Seriously, let's just throw out the knowledge of Horcruxes to anyone who cares to listen. Even the only canon source on Horcruxes, a book called Magick Most Evile", wouldn't speak of it.

That part made me cringe the worst. There some others as well.

In whole; it's good at what it does, but what it does, is not good.

mjc: Shut up, nigger.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I re-read it, just to get a more impartial view. I choked on fluff the first time.

It didn't seem to help.

Writing: 4/5
    Plot/Fluff: 0/5
    Characterization: 1/5 (Out-of-character, but consistent within the chapter. Fucking annoying though. No cookie for Jeconais.)

Averaged: 2/5... well, I might've been too harsh. It's not terrible.

I'll simply rate it as average. 3/5.

6. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Sickeningly sweet, and that's after two relatively short chapters. This story resembles 'This Means War' - I remember enjoying it awhile ago, but I cringe when I reread it.

7. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

So, i'm the troll, because I point out that Sree is making assumptions based on a very small slice of time?

Read the chapter, again to see if I am not correct...the period from when he wakes up to the time they all get together again covers a couple of hours, max.

Replying to Mors, tit for, tat is definitely trollish. Well, then I'm sorry for being a troll...

I think I'll just shut up now and fade back into the woodwork, where my nearly two years on here and very low post count have kept me out of trouble for the most part.

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

mjc, why are you defending a story that truthfully, does not exceed anything in our library currently?

I liked it, but only because I am a sucker for fluff and humor. Even I recognized the cringe worthy parts and the OOC ness. It may eventually be welcomed into our library, but currently stands no chance. In my opinion it is going to be very similar to Hope, which did make it into the library, I just hope that it isn't the same romance with a different plot, and that it brings something unique to the pairing.

As it stands, it is only a 2/5 in my point of view, but I will hardly post a decent review after only one chapter.

9. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Right now, there isn't enough of it to make a real review of it.

On technical merit, it is above and beyond most in the category. That alone should garner it a few points.

There is something about this particular story that makes me want to see more of it before I'll accept seeing it bashed into the dust.

Other than that...I don't know.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Since when is a Calming Potion equivalent to 10 shots of vodka? Seriously, where the fuck do you get these ideas from?

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I guess the real question is this: does the fact that Jeconais has declared that the story is not going to be realistic (it is going to be a fairy tale) exempt him from the criticism that his story is unrealistic?

I'd say no, just as I'd give no leeway to those writers who write in their summaries "I'm really bad at writing!11!" .

12. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Actually, if he said it were going to be a farce, would you be so critical of it from the outset, Taure? Fairy tales are supposed to be unrealistic. So are farces...

Sree, when Harry outright admits that the potion is making him loopy and probably likely to spout the first thought that pops into his head. Remember, alcohol is a depressant or mild sedative, so is a calming potion. If Harry's behavior/personality remains this way after the next chapter, I'll gladly concede this to you.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

I don't recall him ever saying he was loopy. I recall him saying that he probably wasn't very shocked because of the calming potion. You know, because the potion did what its name suggests, calmed him. I know, it's a stretch, but that's my assumption.

Calming Potion =/= Alcohol. I think medicine has advanced far enough, even in the wizarding world, that they don't give spirits to people to heal them. Especially in a school. I refuse to believe Madame Pomfrey would ever give anything like that to students.

14. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Take a good look at the ingredients in most cough or cold medicines...

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

The amount of alcohol in those is negligible. Not enough to act drunk, which is what you're insinuating. The only way to get drunk off of those is to overdose quite a bit.

16. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You have to take beyond the recommended dose for that.

Coricidin Could and Cough, which probably has one of the highest Dextromethorphan content, takes 8 pills to give you a high off of. Beyond the daily recommended dose (4 in 24 hours I think) by itself or just AT the DRD in one go.

You have to purposefully abuse it to get such an effect. And "most cough/cold medicines/ dont have even HALF of the DXH content of CCC. You'd need two or three bottles of Nyquil for the same effect of one box of CCC.

17. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

The hell with it...this argument is getting pretty old. I'm just trying to say that it is possible that potion could have caused it.

Let's just wait for more of the story, OK?

18. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Well, it was a quick and moderately lulzy read. Harry was very out of character, even considering the fact that people had been whispering into his subconscious mind for nearly eight years. Plot hasn't really revealed itself yet, but I'm not expecting any real action. I suppose it's a good story, if you like this kind of fluff. I'll give it a 3/5, because it's well written.

19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think Jeconais has a decent (but not exceptional) start to a story that could prove a bit fluffier than others he's written, but it's too early to tell. He does have the market cornered in "palatable fairy tale" though and I'm sometimes in the mood for exactly that kind of story, so I'll give him benefit of doubt and keep reading.

As others have said, it's really too early to be rating this. Go back and read the first chapter of GQWK or TMW and compare with the rest of the story and you'll see why I'm sitting on my hands for a few more chapters before giving it stars.

20. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

You guys want to know why Harry is OOC?

Because it is more enjoyable to read a comedy with this Harry than canon's Harry, it is also easier to write.

I will never understand why people want an in character Harry when the story, from the start, has a dead Voldemort and is only heading towards Romance and Lulz.

Last edited: May 26, 2008