1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Happily Ever After by Jeconais - Teens - Gabrielle

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by bornagainpenguin, May 25, 2008.

1. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Bah, it's okay. Not great but adequate. I'll give it a 2.5/5 until it improves a bit.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Gab topped it up with some Whisky.

3. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

QFT! oh and after reading this post I wanted the ability to give rep back so hard I could taste it...

--bornagainpenguin (still waiting for more of story before making any judgments)

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Meh, it was alright. I think I've grown out of Jeconais' shit, though. 3/5

5. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Not bad but not good either.

2/5

6. DoubleE

DoubleE Third Year

Not my cup of tea, but it is still too early to see where he's going with this story. It is fluff, and I thought that wasn't really popular on this forum. Still, this is definitely worth it for the lulz. I'm not sure this story can stand on its own for the plot. Regardless, it is still way too early to tell.

7. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

Wait, what? I'm agreeing with Kai Shek? No way.

/me goes to slash his wrists.

8. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

It's too early to vote at the moment, but Jeconais writes very good stories when they're stories that he intends to finish rather than the one-shots or stories that he believes won't work. After reading a lot of darker stories, it's good to read something fluffy.

9. BrewBreaker

BrewBreaker First Year

It's a pretty good beginning, especially seeing as how he intends this to be a fairy tale. I just hope this doesn't crash and burn like White Knight, Gray Queen did.

10. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I generally like Jeconais' stories, but I just couldn't get myself to like this one. It comes off as forced to me. It's not as good as some of his other works.

11. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

The opening doesn't come across as being forced; however, it does appear weaker. A weak opening for Jeconais is still better than over 90 percent of fanfiction stories.

12. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

The thing is, most of Jeconais' stuff reads the same these days, doesn't it?
    There was a midsized story about a Veela princess a while back, and Hope, and this is proably going to be very similar. Doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, but his mid-sized stories are better than the 100k+. I just think the sweetness with nothing else happening will get too much after 4 of these chapters (and he seems to indicate there will be 8, around 100K).

We already know what Harry will be like, so I think it will really depend on whether he can accomplish several of the following: quality humour, interesting Gabrielle, challenging bad guy, etc. I think it has potential, but from experience, Jeconais' longer work tends to get worse along the way.

13. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Jeconais's work always features a Super Harry paired with a strong female character, so I'm not too worried about Gabrielle. That being said, my major concern with Jeconais is that his strong female characters appear to be pretty much interchangeable, but I suppose that's because he's a writer who's willing to write different ships.

As far as that Veela princess story is concerned, it's one of his drabbles that he doesn't intend to complete. The challenging bad guy might be a problem, but fanfic writers have shown that this character isn't needed when done well (e.g., rorschach blot's "Make A Wish" and to a lesser extent, nonjon's "Black Comedy"). As far as his longer works are concerned, that issue is something he has in common with a lot of fanfic writers (and to be a bit snarky, JKR): knowing when, where, and how to stop-- but that's only a minor concern.

14. Jeez us

Jeez us First Year

Basically.

Always good to read a fic with a Harry you like rather than one who's a whiny bitch.

Anywy, fic was typical Jeconais, love it or hate. Fluffy, leaving you with a good feeling. Yeah it's not dark, but positive fics with a good pairing and a Harry with a cool personality is always fun to read. 5/5 from me.

15. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

...Sounds like he's not doing a bang-up job at it, if his female characters are all interchangeable.

16. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

That was my whole point regarding Gabrielle. It's not whether she'll be strong, it's whether she'll be interesting to read. That said, he's perfectly capable of doing it, but he's been writing so many harry/veela ships in the last few years...

It's actually when the main pairing involves one of the side characters in canon (eg Gabrielle, Daphne Greengrass, Pansy Parkinson). Except I'm not even sure he does anything else... (probably did a while back).

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  17. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Oephyx has given an good explanation.

He's done the main characters (Ginny and Hermione) as well as Cho, Hannah (Red and Yellow is a good fic), Luna, and Padma (Object Lessons is also good).

Ah, okay. I misunderstood, and obviously I agree with you.

18. BrewBreaker

BrewBreaker First Year

A lot of Jeconais's longer works have weak endings because a lot of times he ends up taking like a 6+ month break from the story when he's only a few chapters away from finishing it.

19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I was under the impression that Jeconais was writing things pretty much to completion before starting to post. If true, this might improve somewhat.

That said, I forgot where I read it--I'd thought it was in Jeconais's master plan, where he maps out the last fanfiction stories he intends to write, but having just re-read it, I don't find it mentioned. It does appear he's got over 310 pages of Happily Ever After written though--unless he's penning in a font size for the legally blind, the intro we're discussing is only a tiny portion of this.

20. BrewBreaker

BrewBreaker First Year

This is the author's notes from the beginning of Chapter 6 of Hope.

Author Notes:

Well, a bit of a confession before we get to the story. I've had to edit parts 1 and 2 slightly to fit with where I am going with this story. I blame taking a 5 months break before continuing it ;) Anyway, the Quidditch tournament was cleared up, and the other thing was only minor.