1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

Er, no Vesvius:

Their seats (and Hat) are outside the circle.

2. Snow

Snow First Year

For a while I thought that Hagrid's part had actually been a part of the task. Maybe a fake out to see how the champions truly react to fear without the assurance of the dementers in their cages. But that of course would depend on just how confident the ministry is of their control over the dementers. Pretty doubtful now.

3. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Maybe it's just my thought process, but Cedric and Aimee should have had plenty of time to get back to their seats by now. And it states that Athena was beginning to crawl back.

And it also states that the barrier sealed the six of them inside.

Maybe it's just how I'm reading it.

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

So I was right. In that case, that explains why the dementors were there, which was what I was trying to explain.

5. wyeth

wyeth Guest

Jbern did write that when hagrid jumped onto the stage the entire thing shook, so its posible that one of the wands fell off the table and onto the floor before the ward was established and the wand is on the inside of the thing. This way the six stuck on the inside have a believable way of keeping the dementors away if one of them notices. A twist to this scenario could be that someone notices the wand but cant get to it before the dementors get between them and the wand.

6. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I wonder if maybe Hagrid's actions were part of the test? It's unlikely, I know, since every one of the tests have been corrupted so far, but maybe the idea is to separate out the Champions who don't panic?

Frankly, I have trouble believing that either the Ministry or Dumbledore would approve of having actual Dementors In The Great Hall, with eleven-year-old children. Harry can't be the only one with a severely traumatic experience. In a group of five hundred or more children and a hundred or more adults, there HAS to be horrible memories in plenty. You can expect some students to end up with screaming, vomiting, down-on-the-floor-kicking nightmares after something like this.

Edited to add:
    I just reread that last scene, and it states that "all six of us" were trapped in Hagrid's ward-cell. The spell will only last a few minutes, but that's plenty of time for the worst to happen.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  7. Harsh

Harsh First Year

The stage is rather far away from the audience, though. Considering the distance between the cages and the audience, the dementors shouldn't really affect the children that much. In PoA, Harry only suffered from the memories, and fainted, when the dementor stood at the entrance of his train compartment. Even Remus, in PoA, said that people only suffer from the dementors if they were to get too close to them.

In regards to a possibility that the Imperius curse was used on Hagrid...would such a curse actually affect him and uphold? He has giant's blood, and as shown from his resistance to Umbridge's curses in OOTP, curses don't affect him normally.

8. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

They could have gang imperiused him like how dragon handelers gang ra-stupify dragons.

9. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

OT: A while back, I played RPG games with a group of friends. We experimented with a "Random Personality Aspects" chart. It was a massive thing. I ended up with a borderline kleptomaniac twist to my HE MU/Th, as well as a strong interest in lucky items and totems. That was pretty fun to run. We weren't supposed to announce the results: that way the other party members would have to work it out by observation.

We played the traits, with more or less enthusiasm according to the player's interest, until we figured out that one of the clerics was ... umm... afflicted with
    *clears throat*

dragon necrophilia.

Use your imagination on HOW we discovered this. The whole group lost interest after that.

10. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

that relates to the topic at hand how?

11. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

*blinks* Wut?

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

huh?

13. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The banned Tri-Wizard Tournament task.

14. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

You would have thought that challenge would be the hottest tickets on eBay. People are strangely unpredictable. Must be a British thing.

15. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

EDIT: I have since realized my reply only made me facepalm. Ignore this post.

But I will add that watching sex with dead dragons is not my thing. Strange, I know, but I do like to break the stereotypes of my age.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  16. pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73 Third Year

perhaps Hagrids greatest fear has something to do with giant rights (since he is half giant).

17. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I don't thing Hagrid is going to start up his own spew...

His connection to giants seem to be limited to family... He seems to see himself as a wizard first and foremost, if not a very powerful one.

As to his magical resistance...

I don't think it will cover him for all spells. The big three I would assume are in a class of their own, and something to get past Hagrids innate resistance easily. I think its mostly minor stuff like stupefys or other childish spells.

Rowling just didn't want the other wizards to use better spells since she wanted Harry to use his classics for the DoM fight and beyond.

18. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Aye, agreed. I think spells like stupefy might take a number of them simply based on his size, however a spell like Imperius affects the mind... Harry's resistance to it is based solely on willpower. I don't think Hagrid has the sort of mental fortitude with which to withstand an Imperius curse, he's never exactly proven himself to be the smartest bloke around.

19. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's not really about being smart, because Canon!Harry is obviously an idiot, but apart from that I agree. Hagrid has shown himself quite easy to dupe, and he succumbs to persuasion just as well.

20. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

So, do you think that Madame Maxime put him up to it? Or is it just another gambit from Voldemort?