1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Learn to spell characters' names right.

2. Boo

Boo Auror

I think it was Narcissa or Lucius Malfoy. They could been informed by Fudge what the surprize task was.

Hagrid waited till the two people that caused Draco to branded were right up at the Dementors door. And if it doesnt work Hagrid gets in trouble again, giants and Dementors are hated a little more which would cuase them to them favor Voldemort

3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Your profound wisdom has made me see the error of not paying attention to my keyboard. I'm relatively sure most people can see past the "n" that I used in place of the "m". Want a cookie for your venture into douche-baggery?

4. oephyx

I thought it was a typo at first, but you did so well to hit the 'm' key three times all perfectly already, so I thought you probably knew how to find it by the time the fourth 'm' came along.

On topic, I don't see why Maxime would ask Hagrid to get Fleur killed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Oh Shit, Here We Go!! It's On!! TYYYYYPPOOOOOO WAAAAAARRRR!!
    Typo War, Typo War!!

Typo War's On Everybody!!

It's Going Down; Shit Is Going Down!!

(Yeaaah C'mon! Here We Go!)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  6. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Causes and all that? So far, we've heard someone blame it on everyone but Dumbledore. hey there's an idea...nah. I'm going through the people that would be able to convince Hagrid to do something so monumentally stupid. He'll lose his job and go back to Azkaban if it's not part of the task in the first places. I'm going with Maxime and DD as the only two that could realistically convince him to pull off a stunt like this.

As for typo wars, does anyone actually give a damn enough to fight over that?

7. oephyx

I suppose they might be able to convince him no harm would come upon Harry, but I don't see how. He wouldn't willingly harm Harry, imo. I don't think he was convinced by anyone, it's definitely seems to have something to do with magic, Imperius is as good a guess as any.

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

This is DLP; we fight over dumbshit all the time.

On topic: I seriously doubt Hagrid can succumb to the Imperius Curse, at least not without him visibly fighting it after a few seconds (a la crazy Crouch Sr.). Much easier to motivate him through coercion, and I'm sure Maxime can be very convincing...

Maybe she's Voldemort's emissary to the giants?

9. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

Why can it only be the Imperius curse?
    There must be some mind altering potions and other dark curses that are more subtle, but if used right, not less able to get the job done.

And if worst come to worst, it still can be polyjuice,
    a bit lame, but if used in a proper explenation a twist with potential.

10. oephyx

Hagrid would have to be very OOC to be convinced to harm Harry permanently.

Crouch Sr. and Jr. both fought it over time (ie, weeks), not immediately, and they probably had harder minds to dominate than Hagrid. He might have fought it for a few seconds, we wouldn't know.

11. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Can't remember if the explanation is fan-on or canon that it's easy to make you do something you WANT to do with the Imperius but much more difficult if you don't want to do it.

Polyjuice is a decent guess, IMO.

Jbern said that this Hagrid is different from the canon Hagrid, so it stands to reason that Maxime would be as well.

@Blaise - You remember the saying about fighting over the internet and the Special Olympics? I agree with that sentiment.

12. Harsh

Harsh First Year

I checked book four and the lexicon (which refers to the instances when the Imperius was mentioned in canon), and neither source uses that explanation...so I'm pretty sure it's fanon. Rosmerta, for example, probably didn't want to give Katie Bell the amulet in HBP, but Malfoy still easily Imperiused her to do it.

Interesting idea with the polyjuice...it would hurt for someone like Lucius Malfoy (a typical Death Eater) to polyjuice into Hagrid, though.

13. Boo

Boo Auror

All they would have to do is get Hagrid drunk. The Imperius would probably be easier to use on an intoxicated mind.

14. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

This is from nonjon's Black Comedy, I think.

15. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

While polyjuice is a good twist, I'm doubting it simply because Hagrid is a half giant, and hence an unknown variable when added to the brew. Remember what happened with the cat hair.

I'm pretty sure the giant half would have some effect on the potion. It's not only not Human, it's already inherently magical.

Besides, I'm sticking with the most likely case scenario here.

I mean so far, only strong will power can combat the curse. It works on Goblins, people, insects... I don't see why it couldn't work on Hagrid. As someone already stated, he isn't exactly hard to trick.

And no one can trust a person once accused of being under the curse simply because they can be using Oclumency to hide the fact that it was them the whole time.

It just makes the most sense...

Edit:

In response to the whole, Dumbledore, or Maxine convinced Hagrid to do it. Hagrid maybe easily manipulated, but even he would question someone asking him to free dementors... even dumbledore.

I mean he did spend a few weeks being a lunchable to them. And there's no way someone wouldn't notice him being unsubtle. Hagrids no James Bond here...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  16. oephyx

Another typo right there. You can blame it on Korisovra's hands if you like :)

Edit: was that deliberate?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  17. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Splling is for faggs!

18. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

More like several years for Crouch Jr. and months for Crouch Sr. Sirius was still in Azkaban when the Crouch's pulled their jailbreak and Junior didn't break the curse for good until the World Cup. Senior was then put under sometime between the World Cup and the attack on Moody by Wormtail and Junior. So we have proof that if you can't break the Imperious immediately it can take several years to wear down.

This has Canon support though: Harry didn't start to fight the curse until he was given an order (Junior!Moody telling him to jump on to the desk). But we have to take that with a grain of salt as Harry is the only person shown in Canon to just shrug off the Imperious. Everyone else in the class had problems with it and no adult Wizards and Witches seem able to break it right away.

A bartender/cougar that falls under the curse from a student and stays under it for several months is not exactly a great example to use. This is why she is a Bartender after all and not an Auror. Plus we don't know if Draco took Imperious lessons over the summer.

Most of this Canon-Imperious speculation is moot however as this is JBern's fic and he can do whatever the hell he pleases.

19. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Oh snap... no he dident.

I'm pretty sure knowing occlumency would help when performing the curse...simply because its your mind vs theirs...

Malfoy to his credit could perform it before Harry which probably gave him a boost when cursing Rosmerta.

Though I'm not saying occlumency is a guarantee against the imperius.

Frankly I figure its like priori, between the victim and the attacker; there's always a question if it will succeed or not. Given a sufficiently strong willed attacker I think even Harry would succumb.

20. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I disagree. He was able to throw Voldemort's off and we all have to agree that Voldemorte had one hell of a will. A 16 year old against a 70 some-odd that managed to stay in one piece mentally after being a wraith for 13 years?