1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Best Final Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 26, 2008.

?

What was the best Final Fantasy game?

1. Pre-VI

9.1%
  2. VI

10.0%
  3. VII

35.5%
  4. VIII

13.6%
  5. IX

15.5%
  6. X

12.7%
  7. X-2 (Fail)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. XII

3.6%
  1. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    This is going to sound faggy. Has anyone ever teared up during one of these games? I know, very faggy, and I should kill myself by choking on a dick, but there are some emotional scenes in there.

2. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I did. I was pretty damn young when I first played FF 7, and the death scene teared me up. I was damn young though... Probably 12 or so? It came out in 98 I think, and I played it around two years later.

3. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I never played XII or XIII, but I've played IX, X, X-2, XI, and XII.

I'd probably put IX and X tied for first place. They were both epic games, even if I never did kick IX's ass as badly as I owned in X.

Next comes XI. It was an MMORPG, and I have played better, but it was the first MMO I ever played and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Just the amount of fun you could have once you got a chocobo made this game win.

After that comes XII. The gameplay was so awesome, but it just got repetitive and boring. Unlike X and IX which had beautiful story lines where you actually felt like you were getting somewhere, playing XII until the end was impossible because you just stopped caring.

Finally, X-2. It actually wasn't that bad of a game. It was somewhat amusing at times, and I actually found the fighting to be a bit more amusing than X. The problem was the fact that the game was made for twelve-year-old girls. After playing the game the first time, which had a bit of novelty, and deciding to use a guide my next go around so I could get everything, I nearly took a knife to my wrists and became an hero when I listened to that start up pop song the second time. *shivers*

4. Golbez

Golbez Squib

1: FFIV/FFI
    2: FFVI
    3: FFT/FFVIII
    4: FFV

5. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Is your name based on the Final Fantasy with Cecil as the main character, the one with Rydia, Kain, Parum and so on. Can't remember the official PAL version number, and it was one of the best games.

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The only thing worth getting the guide for is Dark Knight dress sphere or something like that. Dark Knight or something or along those lines were you use the arcane magic.

7. Golbez

Golbez Squib

yeah, FFIV(was called FF2 when it was released on the SNES)

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

AAAEEEEERRRRIIIIIITTTTTHHHHHHH! ;_;

That's the only time a game has teared me up though. >_>

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

For me, FFIV. Even to this day, I never really get tired of playing it. IV was the first 'modern' character-driven RPG I ever played (most, if not all, RPG's on the NES had something of a plot, but generic customized heroes), so the game holds a special place in my memories. That, and Kain is still my favorite Final Fantasy character even after all these years and successive games.

And lol, I never cried for Aeris. I thought she was a crappy character, so I was more or less glad to see her gone. At the time, I was a Cloud/Tifa fanboy anyway.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

My least favorite character of the ones I have played is by far Quina. Quina is the absolute most retarded fuckhead character in the series.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe the character was annoying, but Quina's Magic Hammer (the attack that drained enemy's MP) was the most useful move in the game. I beat Ozma relying on that attack.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I liked Quina, s/he was amusing... It was Eiko that I couldn't stand, bratty little bitch that she was. Phoenix was the only summon of hers that I used too, Garnet was always the better offensive summoner, especially after you got Ark & Odin.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Summons in general were a bit crap, though that may have been because I never really included Garnet (who I in fact named Tifa lol) in my main team. Even so, a level 50 Garnet using the ultimate summon (Ark) should do more than an average of 250 damage.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  14. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

There are a lot of factors involved in determining the damage caused by a summon. With the Boost ability and enough of the right item in your inventory Garnet can rape the shit out of a lot of enemies.

15. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Always get confused because I have the SNES version on erm, the big ass things that they were (can't say disk) but I have it at FFIV on ROM.

Kain was a legend of a character, although he spent a lot of time under the noob Golbez's control which sucked as he was a good character. Yang was one of my favourite because he generally owned people after level forty.

I loved Quina Quan, it was awesome, the most annoying character for me would be Cait Sith.

16. Akuma-san

Akuma-san First Year

I voted for X. I love Lulu with a passion. She is my favorite female character in Final Fantasy. Black mage was my favorite class from the Pre-VI and it just got stronger down the line. For my second favorite I say XII. Basch was great. A man robbed of what defined him. Then Basch was forced to fight even after he was weakened.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Agreed. IX is my favorite as well. It has such a refreshing fantasy/adventure feel to it that appeals to me on some deep level. The characters are great, and the story is pretty epic. What I also love about IX is the gameplay and the battle system. IX probably has the best battle system out of all the FF's. The materia system in VII was alright, but it gets highly annoying having to change it around so often, and there's no real difference in the skill sets between people. The GF/drawing system in VIII pretty much killed it for me, and I also didn't dig the grid system in X.

My rankings:

IX by far
    VII
    X
    VIII

I have some of the earlier ones, but I'm spoiled by the good graphics of this generations' systems. Same thing happened when I tried to play Chrono Trigger. I liked pretty much everything about it but the graphics.

18. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

So yeah have played them all, but in my opinion the best FF for me was 7. The plot was amazing, the music still to this day rocks my mind(one winged Angel anyone?), and the battle system was the best. Materia is the shit. The graphics I admit have taken a bit of a beating from the years, but you have to remember that those were pretty good when the game came out.

After 7 I think it is a tie with 10 and 6 for me. I thought 6 had a awesome plot that was easy to follow, yet at the same time was full of a little mystery and enough twists to make the game fun. The Idea that magic is awesome PWN is cool with me, and like 7 the music was great(The intro song when the credits are rolling is great).

As for 10, the graphics and all that were front row and all that, the characters were pretty cool and all, but the plot felt kind of empty especially after you reach Zanerkind and the game gets all weird. None the less still great.

8 and 9 come next. For 8 I loved the plot, hated the battle system. In 9 I liked the return to the ATB battle system and all that, and the plot was cool, yet I found it annoying that Zidane had a tail.

12 sucked because the main character was a fag. Nough said.

1 was pretty awesome for its time. I still like that game and even still have my original copy. For its time it was unheard off, and I respect it for that. The game was also crazy hard which is something that some of the other FF lack.

so yeah...

19. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

My least favorite part of IX after Quina is Trance. Other than Trance I liked the battle system. Trance was just so damn annoying because you would spend hours building it up and then some little dragon or some shit would attack you and oh shit I just wasted a Trance.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was annoying, but I tended to get the Trance gauge up to about 90% then go into the boss fight, so that you're almost guaranteed not to set it off in any random encounters but one or two attacks from the boss would start it. If they died before that, well who needs trance anyway?