1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Denarian Lord by Shezza 88 - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by XxEnvyxX, Jun 29, 2008.

1. TurnCoat

TurnCoat First Year

His patronus could also take the shape of Meciel. Shezza this stuff is epic, just wish it was updated as frequently as DK in it's final days

2. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Though whether or not Harry could produce a patronus is questionable, didn't we see his Fiendfyre take the shape of a bone wyrm in the battle against Voldemort? Therefore, it's conceivable that his patronus would be a bone wyrm.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Okay important question.

Kincaid versus Potter one on one in close quarters. Whos gonna win?
    Ima go with the half demon. Potters one bad son of a bitch but Kincaid is Kincaid.

4. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Awesome update Shezza. Now I have a craving for some steamed dimmys.... :D

5. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Probably Kincade... though its conceivable that they might end in a draw.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, that just sparked off an idea for me. Hellfire twisted or not, but imagine if harry's patronus was of meciel, and the patronus actually was a part of meciel, ie she could control it.

That would be interesting.

Of course, hellfire patronus really does sound awesome too.

7. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

And suspiciously not like HP. Patroni are glowing white animals formed through concentration on an extremely happy memory. Methinks hellfire would not mix well with that.

8. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I don't know. Just because it's a happy memory, doesn't make the memory inherently good. What I mean is, some people's happiest memory may be kittens and rainbows and other stupid shit like that. Harry's, on the other hand, is most likely a memory from a battle when he killed an enemy. It could also be when he picked up the coin, but with how much he loves to fight, I'm betting it'd be the memory of him killing Vesper or something. If he uses a memory like that, Hellfire could work with it.

But then we'd have the whole super-duper patronus that can kill dementors, which is never a good idea. At least it wouldn't be fucking golden.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm of the opinion that Harry doesn't need a patronus because he's got a Holy Sword(TM) that can kill Outsiders. What's a measly dementor got against that?

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We aren't really debating the need of a patronus, I was merely curious as to why he cannot produce one.

On that note, does a patronus have to be inherently good? I thought it was just based of positive emotions, which I am pretty sure is all that is needed, since Dementor's leave only the negative ones.

I don't have any deep seated desire to see harry casting a patronus of doom, it was just something I thought of while in an incredibly boring philosophy lecture.

11. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Why can't Harry summon a patronus? There's no reason why he couldn't, other than perhaps the lack of skill or determination to create one (the only reason Canon!Harry could make one was DeusEx, everyone else spends a while learning it) – or more importantly the lack of a happy memory.

I don't know about you, sure, I've been happy doing things, but do I remember these moments of happiness? No, not generally.

Harry might have had an orgasm when he killed Vesper, but I think the patronus needs a happy memory that's powerful in his mind. It'll need to be something really emphatic for him to successfuly manage one, I think. Much of his life has been shitty, so, when presented with the idea of 'think happy' I think Harry would have trouble doing anything other than 'thinking spiteful' or 'thinking rebellious'. He's stubborn and 'insensitive' like that.

12. kraytkiller

kraytkiller Second Year

Canon Harry was a dumbass with a shitty life on the other hand, but he was able to summon a patronus pretty easily...

Of course according to JKR he got happiness out of fucking simple things.

13. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If Meciel can shield Harry from Veritaserum and Legilimency There is big chance she can stop dementors from bothering him (or even sucking his soul since she has strong grip on it). Anyway if I were to guess shape of his hypothetical Patronus it would be Meciel or Bone Wyrm. I don't remember whether JKR said that "Patronuses can only be animals" or "Patronuses can't have human shape". If it's the former then my guess is Bone Wyrm, else it's Meciel as she is certainly not a human.

14. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Am I wrong that canonically, Snape was the only Death Eater who could manage the Patronus Charm? If not, it doesn't speak well for Harry being able to do it, since he'd get similar 'happy thoughts' from slaughter that they do.

15. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I'm pretty sure that you right frank. However, I'm fairly sure that it was said in an interview and not a book.

16. Alratan

Alratan First Year

The Patronus charm sounds an awful lot like a wizardly application of Soulfire. Note that Soulfire is, I think, not channeling power from an external source that someone has given to you, just the ability to use your own soul as a component of your spells.

17. Samuel Black

I think you're right about Snape, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. JKR is going to tell us that out of all of the Death Eaters, not a one of them besides Snape had a strong happy memory? I mean, shit, Snape used the memory of a dead woman. Out of all the Death Eaters, that was the only happy memory?

I'm calling bullshit. Stupid Rowling.

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't recall where it said that only Snape could conjure a Patronus out of the Death Eaters, though to be fair my Deathly Hallows isn't the best. Quoteage?

19. Samuel Black

I have no idea where I heard it, I just know I heard it somewhere. For all I know, it could have been a fanfic. I'm thinking it was an interview, though. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Here's the link.

If you don't want to read that whole transcript though, I've copied and pasted the actual quote.

Samantha: Was snape the only death eater who could produce a full patronus

J.K. Rowling: Yes, because a Patronus is used against things that the Death Eaters generally generate, or fight alongside. They would not need Patronuses.

That's stupid. Just because they don't need them, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to do it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  20. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Notice how rowling somehow manages to swing the question a certain direction every time she answers questions...

Most of the time leaving us with more questions to elaborate on the original one.

She never specifically said they couldn't only that they had no reason too...

Somewhere, someone is writing a fic where they use the fact that Snape can produce a patronus to prove he is a good person and a super skilled wizard. Who also happens to be Harry's Farther/Lover/Mentor/Butt-Rape buddy.

I would think if your a criminal in the wizarding world, and you know that if you get caught your going to be guarded by these creatures, you'd want to know how to produce the only thing known to defend yourself from it. I mean if you can somehow manage to get a hold of a wand, no matter how slim a chance that is, that charm would be infinity useful.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008