1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Elementary Calculations, by KCourtKat

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Banner, May 12, 2008.

1. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

A logical person would see the progression of events and be able to interpret the likelihood of Snape sabotaging him or allowing him to be injured while in his class. He would logically come to the conclusion that Snape only understands superior strength and guile. Ergo, threaten Snape with obliteration and make sure he realizes the consequences, bluff or not. So logically, an excellent move in a game that will most likely last for his entire time at Hogwarts.

2. FollowTheReaper

FollowTheReaper Professor

Oh, I most certainly want it to last for his time at Hogwarts...

3. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

What I hate most about this story is how the dialogue is written. Terrible. I'd never imagine any the professors talking they way they are here.

4. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Chapter 11 is up. I like this story more and more ever since snape's 'accident'. This chapter has some more of that Harry.

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Ruthless and intelligent. This Harry is not going to be led around by his emotions. It'll be fun to watch what happens to him the first time his hormones sneak up on him and force him to have a crush on some pretty-but-vapid girl.

6. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Small update. It's a short chapter. This is almost a carbon copy of the troll event in cannon.

7. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

That was chilling. Poor Hermione, still being used.

8. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    *sigh* Damn it, the author pisses me off sometimes, he goes from nearly killing snape, which was lulzy and awesome. To not doing ANYTHING.

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Hermione as a pawn, how original!

Oh wait.

10. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

My thoughts exactly...

The whole Evil!Manipulative!Dumbledore thing is so over done and so freaking annoying.

11. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Technically, Dumbledore did set Harry up to fight and die pointlessly with no real hope whatsoever of actually winning against Voldemort in canon rather than trying to see, if, you know, the Horocrux in Harry's head could be removed or the connection it had to Voldemorts soul severed. So, even though it is a bit cliche, it's also pretty close to canon.

12. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I'm not talking about that type of Dumbledore, who genuinely cares and does whatever he possibly can to do what is best. I'm talking about the '*evil cackle* I'm going to recruit a precocious 11 year old to spy on Harry Potter because he doesn't like me.' That type of stupidity just irritates me. Yes, he is manipulative but he doesn't recruit 11 year olds as spies, he's the greatest wizard of the freaking century, at the very least, he doesn't need some 11 year old's help.

13. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

He hasn't recruited her. He's encouraged her to seek a friendship. The fact that he gains much needed insight into Harry's mind is just a... bonus, if you will, to helping a lonely girl find friendship and much needed company within Hogwarts halls. There's nothing bad about that.

Oh, and the fact that he needs this sort of info so he can genuinely save the Wizarding World by manipulating Harry into a situation where he will get killed, removing the horocrux within him, is unfortunately needed for the greater good.

14. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

I loved the scene with Malfoy on the train. I don't think I've ever read a story where Harry is polite to him without falling over himself to suck up. On second thought, it is very interesting how Harry manages to be polite to almost everyone, including Voldemort. 4/5

15. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Eh, I get what you are saying but I got a different vibe from what was written. I hope that I'm wrong.

16. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I personally loved how Dumbledore didn't send everyone into danger like in canon. Using Hermione as a tool to get inside into Harry's character will hopefully just be one move in a long and complicated game, where things seldom go perfectly according to plan.

17. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I expect this version of Harry to be cautious and not let Hermione get close enough so she would be a useful spy. The two girls he is already friends with don't know anything really damaging about him. Also she is way too immature for them to be BFFs like in canon.

18. M2J MandalorianJedi

M2J MandalorianJedi Squib

But still do, on occasion. I'm not the biggest fan of Dumbledore, far from it most of the times, but I'm getting pretty tired of reading Manipulative!Dumbledore fics where he is completely inept and does nothing but try to accomplish things to his own ends.

I rather like this version of the Headmaster, and as long as this fic doesn't degenerate into some form of Dumbles Bashing, I'll continue to enjoy it.

I liked the entire sequence w/ Snape in the abandoned corridor and how he underestimated Harry, thinking him being the "Golden Boy" he portrays himself in public.

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    New chapter up.

Some more jovial!Voldemort, and Harry dealing with Sirius and Remus in the end.

~~way too mature Harry, but then again, I can't stand childfics. And intelligence is always a bonus. I'd give it a 4/5

20. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

I liked how Harry calmly considered killing Hermione one day, and then sitting with her like a good friend later.