1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Ties of Blood by WolfMoon - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Andro, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter and the Ties of Blood
    Author: WolfMoon
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None as of yet
    Chapters: 19
    Words: 112,561
    Updated: July 15, 2008
    Published: April 30, 2008

Summary: On a dark summer night, Harry walks straight into a situation that will change his life forever when a strangely familiar vampire saves from him a Death Eater. AU sixth year; some Canon; no pairings as yet.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4228543/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Ties_of_Blood

This is the rewrite of the older version, which was already accepted into the library. The writing quality, descriptive imagery, etc., is exceptionally high in my opinion. I haven't read the old version so I don't know if there are any significant changes, but the rewrite is nearly 20,000 more words further along.

The author notes were somewhat surprising because the author said he didn't quite have a fixed plan for the story.

And before any says, I meant to post in the thread for the older story, but that was after I stopped myself from posting a new thread, but I left that tab open, and picked the wrong one, so I donned the ninja-editing garb. -.-

Checked by Minion, March 30, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
  2. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

Has being saved by a vampire been added to the list of cliches? Yet another story with Harry being saved by a vampire.

I have not read the story, so I won't give a rating, but the beginning is certainly inauspicious.
    Regards,
    Maidros

3. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Is this the one where the vamp is his ten-greats grandfather who's in the vampire council, if so I remember it to be not too bad, but I read it a long time ago.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I read the old version but got sick of the writing style and so gave it up... I'll have to work myself up to reading this one then.

5. shadownin

shadownin Fourth Year

Seems quite interesting so far, although I've only read 2 chapters.

The overall quality of the fic is good; the writing style is polished, no obvious spelling/grammar errors and the chapter size is decent.

Another plus is that there's over a 100 000 words written.

Overall 4/5.

6. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Read the first chapter and that whole shock of Harry's where anyone that looks like him he thinks is his dad is quite annoying and the awkwardness of it I have to run away from. Can read further. However, for those who are not me, I urge you to go further and then come back and tell me what you think. *grins*

7. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

The first few chapter are fairly shitty in a slow moving plot and excessive character interaction between HP and his Great grandfather 10 times over way, though this is definitely better then the last effort he did of this story.

I dislike the use of vampire HP in most fics because you cant help but continually read that he is uber in all ways, this though, this has him pretty much above average but not death dragon above average with a slowly increasing power rate and growing intellect.

4/5.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I enjoyed this story immensely.

Harry isn't too powerful, despite the vampire issue, and it is a very good story overall.

I give it a 5/5. This is a Vampire!Harry story that is actually good, and that in itself is worth a 5. I admit that the interaction with Charles is a bit tedious at times, and lasts for a bit longer than is enjoyable, but it was necessary for the backstory.

I recommend this for the library.

9. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

*stares at the seven replies, only two of which are from people who have read the fic in its entirety*

Is anyone else tempted to actually read the fic and rate it?

10. shadownin

shadownin Fourth Year

I forgot to edit my earlier post, but I have read all of it. I'd still give it the same rating, and it's worth a read.

11. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Its decent enough, Iv added it to author alerts. The political Harry is done fairly good, short chapters but a fast update rate is good also. Author has given Harry some new abilitys and so far we have yet to see them in action, don't really like to Fleur/Harry scenes tbh don't know why :s

Overall ill rate it a 3/5

One thing that really bothered me:
    His grandfather tells him he was in slytherin when he went to Hogwarts, the only problem is he is 5,000 years old. Hogwarts is 1,000 years old.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  12. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I've read the old one and I recall thinking it wasn't half bad at the time, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement to try the new version though. Tell me there shadownin, do the vampires still used a 'bloodstone' to store their power? is Snape's kid still a Vamp that harry 'takes under his wing' so to speak?

13. shadownin

shadownin Fourth Year

Yup, both are in the new version. Although the bloodstone hasn't really been a big part of the story so far.

14. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

Thats what makes this story failtastic.

I believe there is a potter law on the subject somewhere.

So lets rack up all the fail in list form.

1. Blood stone - Makes it so that Harry doesn't have to feed often. (6 months on a mouthful of blood.)

2. Harry not being a full Vampire. He gets all the benefits and no hindrances.

3. Snape has a child.

4. Snape and his child are important to the plot.

5. Harry has a laptop and uses it to find websites run by halfbloods and muggleborns and chat the up about magic. Breaking the statute of secrecy over his knee with a sickening crack.

I can't remember anymore off the top of my head.

1/5 Bin if I could.

15. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Snape's child is a serious downer, and the writing went corrupt in the later chapters.

Blaise being an "amused and calculating onlooker" was alright in Nightfox's fic, and immediately got old afterwards.

Scaled down to 3/5 now.

16. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I like it, if only for my vampire fetish. 4/5.

17. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I hate that cliche. Hate it. All the slytherin characters that aren't Malfoy end up being characterized as that.

If he's in Slytherin, his entourage (He always has one) will inevitably include Blaise, or one of the other wallpaper characters, and they all go around being just like "The Golden Trio" except sneakier. Which pretty much means exactly the same.

/rant