1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and The Halcyon Phantasmagoria by PhantasmagoricBlade - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by e1, Aug 21, 2008.

1. e1

e1 Third Year

Title: Harry Potter and The Halcyon Phantasmagoria
    Author: PhantasmagoricBlade
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Drama
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: Harry/Fleur
    Chapters: 10
    Words: 74.875

Summary: It was all too perfect. A whole new world, and he was naive enough to hope that it would be any any less screwed up than the old one? Too bad he woke up, or he might have even never had to deal with all of the trouble he was now fighting to survive in.

Link : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4488479/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Halcyon_Phantasmagoria

A decent read. The title's a bit a dodgy but the writing is decent enough. Starts off with a nice long 9K chapter. Enjoy! XD

Checked by Minion, September 28, 2015
    Dead link is dead. I added a textfile as attachment.
    If anyone knows where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Lol
    Awesome.

But to the real story; can't wait to see where this goes, and for Fleur to meet him in his new state. Think he'll set her heart on fire? >_>

It's Post-GoF, so it's original enough, and anyway, since someone (read: Mrriddler) can't be arsed to return to writing HP, this Male Veela-attempt is the next best thing. No rating as yet, because there's just one chapter after all, and the whole thing could be screwed up easily, but the potential, ohmigod ... it's definitely over nine thousand.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Excellent. I like it so far. Hope the author updates soon.

Like Sesc, I'll not rate it with only one chapter.

4. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I'm getting a powerful "Secrets of the Male Veela" vibe from this. It's a similar opening, from my mind, but with more depth - so, yes, it was good. As already said, need more to material before rating can occur.

Since SotMV isn't being updated, I have hopes this can fill that void. Just as long as it doesn't turn out to be too similar...

5. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

What I don't like about it is that Harry is still totally trusting Dumbledore. What I do like about it is that nobody seems to know what is going on, and Harry isn't a whiny little pansyass about it.

6. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

I was kinda getting a Psyduck!Harry vibe with the whole "My headache gives me powahs!" thing.

And 'legimency' has always been a huge peeve of mine. Overall, however, the story wasn't bad. I'll wait a couple chapters before I rate...

7. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

I would so read that. I liked it honestly. Too bad I think it's going to go down the road of normal pairings. :( No Holly for me I suppose. 4/5

8. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I'll rate it when it has another chapter or 2 but so far it was interesting.

9. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

lol psyduck!Harry. I would read that too.

First chapter was interesting... but I'm skeptical. Dumbledore was characterized... flatly, the writing didn't really draw me in either.

Second chapter might be better, possibly.

10. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was definitely rather humorous, and that was one of the main reasons I enjoyed it, but at the end it seems like this story is going to turn into some adventure story where Harry is on the run with Fluer from the Veela Nation. I liked it, but I'm not sure if I'll continue to like it. Rating pending.

Ninja Edit: I actually enjoyed Dumbledore's characterization, Chime. They didn't keep talking about his infamous twinkle or make him overly grandfather-like. They made him a delicate leader who is rushed for information and trying to hide it.

11. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Could go either way at the moment, but it was definitely entertaining.

Rating pending.

12. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

This story got a lot of potential. So far it's been great. It's up to the author to make mistakes now. Rating with held until further updates.

13. Lord Mysterious

Lord Mysterious Squib

It is an interesting start that I am sure will keep many of us waiting for an update. It has Fleur so that is a plus. I will be waiting for a few more updates before rating but so far it is at least a 3.5 or maybe a 4 in my opinion.

14. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Updated. The beginning of the next chapter was frightening. Had me worried for Harry's virtue for a few moments.

15. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

After the second chapter, I give this a 3.5.

It has some good ideas and I like how it explores the creepy side of Male Veela.

I don't like the idea of teams of Veela stalking Harry though. It seems a tad too comic for what is supposed to be a drama.

16. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Ditto. :|

The rest of it seems pretty good, but I really don't like that part...

17. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I don't see why everyone needs to see Harry suddenly breaking away from Dumbledore and making Dumbledore a stupid manipulative old bastard. It's overly done and I'm actually glad the author didn't make Dumbledore suddenly evil .

But Harry not being a whiny bitch I agree with you - Finally no Crybag!Harry

Chapter 2 is up and I'm reading now.

3/5

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I actually didn't mind that. I frowned more about them using a microphone, but then again, maybe full Veelas can't do magic. Also, what bugs me is Harry's swearing. He's very reserved in the books in that regard, and while there's no problem if he begins to change that, it annoys me if it comes all of a sudden. Reminds me too much of crappy Dark!Harry stories, where the author tries to convey how very badass Harry is by using "fuck" every other word.

Also, Petunia ... yuck. Couldn't that have been the hot but bitchy older girl next door, you know, the one that Harry always wanted to get one up on, because she was mean to him when he was young? I'm sure there has to be someone like that.

Finally, the whole flight ... I guess we can chalk that up to Harry not thinking rationally. I don't really know how I feel about that ... seems a bit random to me at the moment. Harry on the Knight Bus racing across the country, Lucius popping up ... yeah, I dunno. Perhaps it's just me. I would have liked something different, even if I can't say what. I just hope the flight is a necessary device to advance the plot, and not there just because.

A 2.9/5 for this chapter, 3.5/5 for both chapters combined. At the moment, SotMV is quite a bit ahead.

Edit:
    Regarding the Dumbledore issue, Goddessa ... don't forget that this is Post-GoF. Back then at St. Mungo's, Harry had no reason to not trust Dumbledore. Sirius is still alive, no prophecy etc; basically, at that point Dumbledore is still the Grandfather, so it would have been OOC if Harry suddenly was all mistrustful and stuff.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  19. e1

e1 Third Year

Frightening indeed...

The whole microphone episode bothered more than I'd like to admit. Rather ironical that a simple muggle device can breach wards that Voldemort himself labels "wards of steel". Plus, correct me if I am wrong, I thought magic and electricity didn't mix well? With so much magic around you'd think the microphone would go haywire....

The swearing, on the other hand, didn't bother me quite as much. I personally feel Harry's entitled to swear as much as he wants to after his not-so-pretty aunt attempts to rape him!

Overall, I'll give this chapter a 3.5/5. Hopefully the next updates will come just as quick!

20. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

But what magic? At most a few Apparations. If you were talking about the wards, well then... There wouldn't be electricty in the house, nor in any of the houses around it, so the microphone idea works. And... I was kind of looking forward to HarryXPetunia rape. :( It just hits home the fact that there is almost no chance of HarryXMolly.