1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Herryk

Herryk First Year

reminded me of the time when a friend threw a dummy grenade during a live fire drill, and they had to bring out EOD to check it out, took three hours, a robot, and a four man team to discover it was rubber....lol

Congrats on the baby girl, and a belated B-day to you.

The ending was priceless, and can't wait to see the fallout from it. I don't think the hat will give up the golem, should have placed a sticking charm to the hat afterwards and let him go to the ball..."Dance with me bitches!"

2. dyslexicfaser

dyslexicfaser First Year

Not even Dumbledore thinks of everything, I guess.

As for the golem... one would assume they represent an enormous expenditure of time, money, and knowledge (done by HJ, a magically-powerful wizard with decades of experience - subjectively - under his belt, over the course of six weeks). This would put them outside the reach of the average business, but not for the school or Gringotts or the like. Who's to say Gringotts needs golems, with access to guardian dragons and such? Or else, perhaps they have installed such things. Harry doesn't really know the extent of the protections in place, there.

I forget - are the animated suits of armor being used in defense of the school fanon or canon? It's been awhile since I read the books.

EDIT: oh, and as always, great chapter jbern. Your 'boomjuice' intrigues me and I wish to learn more.

3. Boo

Boo Auror

I think Mickey-G used them to defend the castle in DH. Actually i think everything was used in the defence.
    But seeing as everything is written from Harrys POV it probley got two lines and then went back to him worrying about his friends, Hogwarts, how its not fair and how he was gonna get everyone out alive.

4. azrael

azrael Professor

Yeah, McGonagall animated all the armor and statues and set them to defense, and yes, it only got about two lines.

My take on the golem is that it is a bit more robust and permanent than just an animated statue, such as what Dumbledore did in the DoM.

5. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Like I said before...the gargoyle that guards the Headmaster's office. Heck, my oldest son called it a golem the first time he heard of it.

Fanon has imbued that thing with much more than it originally showed, up to DH, where it jumped down from its perch and marched off, on its own, without McG 'activating' it.

6. Seer

Seer First Year

Would it be possible to perform wandless magic while transformed? Apparition or banishing/summoning, for instance.

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

No, that's stupid.

8. Seer

Seer First Year

Don't reject it out of hand before considering the benefits. Going around as an animal with the ability to still blow the crap out of stuff could make for an excellent spy - or keep Harry from being bound and gagged again.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You haven't recently read MissAnnThropic's Vox Corporis, have you? (Wandless magic from animagus form = power He knows not).

10. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    I don't believe that was the point he was trying to make.

Sure it would be useful, but it would also be cliche, unnecessary and any explanation would be bullshit.

11. Seer

Seer First Year

Ah, sorry. I wasn't aware there were actually fics that used that already.

12. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I suppose it would, if the totality of the story took place in a setting where such animals wouldn't stand out. Unfortunately, the temptation to make Harry a jungle cat prowling around Scotland is too strong amongst authors.

Call me boring, but any spycraft should involve silence and invisibility. Loads easier to accomplish than trying to become an Animagus, then learning to shoot stunners outta one's claws, y'know?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  13. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

QFT. Reminds me of some monstrously huge fic where Harry is a Jaguar animagus, called something like Breaking Free, or whatever. Let's just pretend it doesn't exist, eh?

Anyway, back on topic with Lie I've Lived: Obviously, the recent chapter was excellent. Far better than the recent TML update if you ask me, perhaps because all your excellent attention is quite rightly going to Lie and the process of making it one of the most epic fics of all time? Thus if you put TML on hold you'd be able to come back to it with the attention it deserves... Once you've finished Lie of course.

The Sorting Hat should definitely make an appearance at the Yule Ball, I can imagine it dancing with Fleur and/or Dumbledore, ridiculing them in its oh-so-special style.

Oh yes, and congrats on the new munchkin.

14. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Or even just bending in with the surrounding environment.

I have yet to see Harry with a European House Sparrow animagus. Nobody thinks twice about seeing sparrows anywhere, they're like the most common wild bird in existence.

And if you wanted a reason for him to have such an animagus... Well, it would fit in with his desire to be normal.

15. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

*Absconds with the idea like a thief in the night*

One wonders about future generations of Potters and the closet scoreboard. An entertaining way to leave your mark on the school's history I'd say. Not to mention a funny conversation to have with your son.

Yes, I needed something on topic to say to disguise my larcenous ways.

16. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I still want to see a Spider or fly animagus. If only for the spying oppurtunities.

17. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

Darkness Reigns Supreme by Dark-Syaoran had Harry as a fly animagus if I remember correctly. Unfortunatly the fic didn't get far enough to see it in use before it was put on 'Hiatus', still worth reading if you haven't already though.

18. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Haha, I was just looking at my user profile and the bio area that I filled out ages ago has my Animagus form listed as a Sparrow.

What a coinkidink.

19. Boo

Boo Auror

I would think wizard would have to be able to do magic when they turn in to animals.
    How would you reverse self-transfiguration.
    Plus i think somewhere in the story someone said even if you transfigure something it is still the same as it was before it was changed. So if a wizard has magic before changing he should have magic after.

20. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

But the thing is, for the most part, wandless magic doesn't exist in HP-dom, so you would need to be some sort of critter capable of holding a wand before even being able to think about spell casting...