1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Soul Bond Variation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pfeil, Sep 28, 2008.

1. pfeil

pfeil First Year

Important Note: I know you hate Soul Bonds here, but please read before flaming. I suspect it's something that the Ginny haters can have far more fun with than the Ginny-Sue proponents.

I was reading a parody fic the other day where Harry gets soul bonded to Ginny after CoS, and Hermione tells him how crappy that's likely to be, since he doesn't even know her first name, let alone anything important about her. It got me thinking, though. What if Tom's possession was more of his soul merging into hers? It seems reasonable, given the implication that if it had finished, there'd be no way to get Ginny "back".

The idea is then that killing Tom actually ended up killing most of Ginny's soul (or whatever). She soul-binds to Harry, since she can't survive with just a partial soul. (Maybe there was less than 0.5**6, which fanon seems to suggest is the smallest workable, given the supposed horcrux split limit.) So Harry manages to completely take over their shared bodies, with Ginny having no more influence than as a little voice in his heads (that's easily ignored or tuned/occluded out). What could he do with a remote-control Ginny-puppet? (If you can control more than 2 people with the Imperius curse, then I'm sure he can learn to use both bodies simultaneously.)

2. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

Make her jump out a window.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Nonjon could have a lot of fun with an idea like this.

4. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Actually, this gave me another potential idea--what if some part of Memory-Tom's essence had stuck with Ginny, merging with her soul and lending her a bit of his personality/memories? Would that be the possible way she could become "Harry's equal"?

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

nonjon, Xiph? I'm thinking Vash could have a lot more fun with a mind controlled 11-year-old Ginny.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Meh. While mind-control is less ghey than the equality implied by soul bonds, it's still weak as a plot device. I don't see how it could carry a story (even a one-shot) without coming across as dull.

7. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Blaise, you must be joking.

While I agree that a long story about mind controlled Ginny could get dull in a hurry, and a good! let's-work-through-this-together 4eva!Harry would make me choke on my own tonsils... the device has massive potential for crackfic lulz.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's also a brilliant way to have Harry start a descent into darkness. Having one person who does everything you want her too would be a pretty good way to have him want more of the same, though not through soul bonds, I expect.

9. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

First problem: The mechanism of the Bond. Cheap, half-hearted explanations are almost worse than the concept itself, while a well crafted one can make up for it.

Second Problem: Just Blaise hit the nail on the head. What's going to drive the plot forward? An evil Harry could use her as a whore in order to gain money, but what's supposed to distinguish this story from others? Why should authors use this method over the Imperious Curse?

Still, not too bad a twist on an idea that has already been raped to death by fandom at large.

10. pfeil

pfeil First Year

She could make a great spy in an evil-Weasleys/Fumblemore fic...

But yeah, I don't have a plot, just a situation. That's my usual problem -- it applies to the fic I'm (sortof) writing, too :(

(And no, I won't be posting my fic here, since it's Harmony.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  11. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Pein!harry?

...no.

12. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

lol I love the idea, but you would need a larger plot to make it work in a full fic. However a crackfic with this in would be awesome, or perhaps a series of oneshots...

13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh. My. GOD. That is an awesome idea! :D We can even give him the freaky piercings. But a correction. It's Pain, not Pein. Pein was a typo. Or a bad translation.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually, in the raw manga it is 'Pein'. The katakana used are ペイン (Pe i n), and they're used on many occasions so it can't be labelled a typo. Blame idiot translators who should know better than to translate names >_>.

15. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I had Tom Riddle in secret control of Ginny since CoS in this one challenge one shot I did for Thank God You're Here DLP. Didn't use the "soul bond" language for it though.

Still I don't actually see this general idea of having a remote control Ginny as unworkable. It is just a plot device, I agree with the many who have said that. But in context of a humor fic or even a light action fic that may be a lot of fun to write.

Actually it would freaking amuse the hell out of me when Ginny has her period and Harry goes W T F!!

Yeah I definitely feel some humor/crackfickiness coming out of this.

16. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Wait... wouldn't that mean Harry and Ginny are both just Harry? That would mean that any lulz would be squicky as hell. Imagine whoring off your 'puppet' and then feeling it. Euch..

17. pfeil

pfeil First Year

Yes, it would.

But you can get up the girls' stairs easily, to ask all kinda of interesting questions, see fun sights, and start arousing activities. Not to mention the opportunities in masturbation...

18. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

With eleven year old girls? They'd be squealing about Harry Potter if anything. Pretty much the same as mindcontrolling a fan girl.

EDIT: not to mention that they're 11

19. pfeil

pfeil First Year

Well, 12.

And "Ginny" can pretend to talk to Hermione to get to watch Parv and Lav experimenting. Or just use his cloak, I suppose.

Lav & co. would definitely be thinking about it, by that point. Even Harry must have had a few accidents at 13...

20. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

13 is hardly better than 11.

I have a cousin who grew up in our home and she is 13, you lot scare me. She's just a kid!

Edit: then again y'all could be 10 or 11 and "older" women of 13 might...just...do...it...for...you...

-bleaches everything-