1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Agreed. I was just throwing that out there for discussion's sake. And I was completely pissed. ;) To be perfectly honest, I remember nothing of Talos' character, I thought he was the Centaur until halfway through the fight. I read through all the Dresden books in a week and didn't absorb very many of the little details.

2. Jaba

Jaba Backtraced

The redneck infested area of Fl. Panhandle
    Nice update. Been waiting for this one for a while. The only problem was the fight. Talos was a bit over the top with all the flips, etc. Overall a nice update. 4.3/5 for now.

3. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

It's been awhile since I read Summer Knight but I remember Talos, like someone else already said, as being the ninja of the crew, leaping buildings in a single back flip type thing.

Personally, I thought that Harry entering the deal was spot on. He knows that he is risking getting in over his head but he thinks he can handle it, and quite frankly he needs a few powerful, knowledgeable allies so that he has a chance to get home. So it's getting close to damned if you do and damned if you don't territory.

Overall, a great update as always.

4. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Damn this was a good chapter! Watermage, the more you successfully integrate Harry into Dresden's universe the more I can't wait for their inevitable encounter. Harry (Potter) bumping into the gatekeeper should be pretty interesting as well... Especially as you seemed to be hinting that the Gatekeeper has magic similar to that of Harry's dimension

On a sidenote, seeing Harry's warning that
    in conjunction with your sig made me think that perhaps Harry will see the events of Summer Knight as a betrayal on Aurora's part, leading him to make good on his threat and intervene before events come to their otherwise expected conclusion.

Or perhaps not, all I'm hoping for is a Harry/Lily relationship. So Aurora needs to be out of the picture dammit!

5. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Aurora doesn't need Lily specifically. She could use any mortal.

6. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Finaly, the forum was practicly dead for so long.

Great update, I'm wondering if Aurora did something else to make harry react that way, or is he still carrying the anger from the earlier deception.

Can Harry kill Aurora considering he's made a deal with them?

I like your lily/harry interactions; Its realisticly uncomfortable.

And Aiden isn't pushing my punch button anymore...

All in all I really like this chapter. No complaints.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And updated, interesting update, dunno how much I liked just jumping ahead 3 years, but its too early to tell anyway. Otherwise, nice update.

What was charmed flame? Sounds kinda like a ripoff of cursed fire, fiend fire.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm guessing it's a less destructive but easier to control form of magical fire, probably considered less of a Dark art than Fiendfyre.

Anyway, good chapter. You have a talent for leaving chapters such that we are always begging for the next one. Not quite a cliff hanger, but definitely not a resolution.

Also, am I right in saying that you've changed the timeline a bit in terms of the events of Summer Knight? As in, pushed it back a bit.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Knowing the Sidhe she probably did something else to piss him off.

You explained charm fire perfectly. I didn't want Harry to use Fiendfyre so I came up with something less overkill.

Elaine and Dresden will only be about 26 in this, so I'm off a year or two in the timeline. I think they should be at least 27 or 28 during SK, but no one is really sure.

Eventually in the next few chapters there will be one called Two Years Ago that will address events from the past. It will answer some questions caused by the jump in time.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Man, I hate when guilt-trips work. Makes Harry seem like a kicked puppy. Can't Lily die now, plz? :)
    Yeah... he's backing down at the first sign of hurt feelings. God, lol. One of the reasons I hate stories where Harry meets his parents.

Anyway, rest of it was good.

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was a bit confused with the time jump, but knowing that the reason is coming clears that up well enough. Other than that, great chapter.

12. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

You good sir, have just made my night. I liked the interactions between Dresden and Harry. Similar people tend to rub the wrong way sometimes. I really liked that little twist at the end. Keep up the good work!

13. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I'm getting confused. How much time has spanned between chapters 9 and 10 (I know probably only a day or two separates 10 and 11)?

What happened between Harry and Aurora? Is she somehow his wife, or has Ginny (Heaven forbid!) somehow come into the play?

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Lol, I was just about to read the chapter and decided to read the previous one first when I saw this:

“This is not a time for jokes,” she snapped, eyes flashing. “Do you know that Lord Zhu is the lord of a whole country full of life force sucking vampires?” Lily leaned forward, staring at him grimly. “Jade Court doesn’t play games, Harry. Surprise and fear are their main weapons. They take the breath from your body, and with it come your life force. You would age faster than you could scream.”

15. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

¿Wife? One wonders how that came to be. It was, however, a great chapter. :)

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Harry-Harry interaction was interesting. It might have been frustrating, but (being a HP lover over a HD lover) I'm secure in the knowledge that HP could do things that would make Dresden's jaw drop. Though I keep having to remind myself that "Awaken Sleeper's" magical system for HP is not how I conceive of HP magic, so that levels the playing field a bit.

17. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Great Chapter. The wife part at the end really threw me for a loop, but it was still quite interesting. I liked the interactions between the Elaine, and the two Harry(s). However the part about the hugs near the middle seemed a little awkward to me. Just my opinion.

18. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

May I ask what your thoughts are about what Dumbledore did at the cave entrance (blood doorway) and further into the cave, when he found the chain?

I really liked the chapter. The bit about breaking in = black clothes made me chuckle, and for me at least its the little touches like that, rather than the LULZ-inducing moments, that really make a story stick.

19. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

It was three years between 9 and 10. A day seperates 10 and 11. The next chapter will clear up the Harry and Aurora marraige. It will be called Two Years ago and will take us back to that time.

Ginny will come into this story over my dead body.

Can wizards in HP sense lingering energy? Honestly, HBP is a blank space in my mind. I only vaguely remember the cave scene.

20. TehLicha

TehLicha First Year

This totally made my day.

As stated earlier, the interaction between Harry-Harry-Elaine is just excellent. And I love the little quips. Great job.