1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and The Dark Knight by Denial and Deception - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Aug 26, 2008.

1. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Even if the chapter did contain too much Neville, it was good just to read this story again. I don't care what people say, the Author writes Harry!Joker amazingly well, even if parts do seem lifted from TDK.

Looking forward to the next update.

Warlocke -
    My bet's on neither really, but at a push... I'd say the first, only minus the curse - It looks like we might be getting a Harley Quinn after all, but not the one we all expected it to be...

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Now that had not occurred to me. Seems awful sudden for that, though.

3. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Nice update, but a bit slow at points, which is understandable considering the need for set-up of conflict. I find myself agreeing with most of you. Though the Joker!Harry monologues at the beginning and the scene with Hugo were both very powerful and moving, I found the trial to be dreary and not very interesting at all. Nevertheless I look forward to the next update.

4. mathiasgranger

mathiasgranger Slug Club Member

I've always thought the power in the confrontations between the Joker and The Dark Knight had little to do with how they got there, but rather how they would both get out.

While people know who the Joker is in this story, they don't know him or how he'll react at all, which brings its own sort of anonymity to it.

Batman has always been less interesting than the Joker, as Neville will surely be here. But, Batman needs to be the incorruptible hero to play as the foil to the Joker's anarchistic morality plays.

I think in that respect the choice of Neville as the foil to Joker here is perfect. All of the other villains in the Batman universe were all one dimensional in comparison to the Joker, and I see that here also, but even more so in other ways.

Still too early to rate this one, but I like it so far.

5. Denial and Deception

Denial and Deception Muggle

The mere fact that this forum thread exists makes me...smile...

(j/k)

To answer some of the common complaints: I hate Neville, too...

Why do you think it took me so long to write this chapter?

I only really got into the groove and made a convincing Neville (in my mind's eye at least) after I wrote out the drinking scene and the whole "maybe" tirade.

And I only made the trial scene so long (and I really wasn't going for boring...maybe I'm just terrible at trial scenes) because I wanted some more characterization of Draco.

And I wanted the whole element of Neville failing to save Bellatrix to play a more original element, but no one seems to have picked up on that. (pouting)

It was a hard chapter to write, especially for someone who just wants to fucking kill everyone...

Finally, the whole "too much like the movie" concerns...

It's a crossover. I'm manipulating it. I need to do this now, because I enjoy that overall plotline. At some point, both the HP canon story and the DK canon story will end, and that's where I get to play.

As for who's who in parallels...well...I enjoying the guessing game...I'm a cruel fuck like that.

I intend to get the next update up soon...The Joker finally finds some good help...The possibilities are endless...

6. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I have to say that I think that Fleur could be the Harley Quinn in this story.

Reason 1: She's married to a fucking Weasley. That's enough to drive a Veela sexbomb over the moon.

Reason 2: Harry was a fellow Triwizard Champion, and he did save her sister.

Reason 3: Crazy Harry is still better than Bill fucking Weasley. The only good Bill Weasley I've ever read was when jbern writes Bill.

Seeing as how I liked TDK, I have no problem with the story being cribbed for this fic. Having Malfoy as Maroni(?) from Batman Begins works, in a weird way.

The fact that Gringotts and the finances of the Wizarding World is being targeted is actually good. Too many if not all of the Death Eaters are rich fucks prancing around in their robes paying bribes by day and killing people by night. Fuck them all. As for Harry's money, he never grew up with it, seeing as Dumbledore made him live with fucking Muggles, so all his money and the Potter fortune going up in smoke might mean nothing to him.

Dumbledore is also grasping at straws and hedging his bets and being a douchebag. Of course the prophecy applied to Harry. Harry was the one who was marked, not Neville.

Dumbledore needs some Joker gas or some Smilex in his lemon drops ASAFP.

7. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Could've possibly done with a spoiler alert for the first line & reasons, but hey =). Same reasoning as me and Warlocke, I think?

Draco is infact, Harvey Dent, not Maroni =P. Draco has his old 'evil' side so he'd make an... ok Two-Face if Darkness does indeed take that path =).

At first, I thought Luna woul become Harley, as we've yet to see Luna or hear about her, so i'd be interesting to find out how she took Harry's locked up time.

As for Fleur being Harley - Agreed, though I can't quite see why she suddenly goes from loving wife of Bill to seemingly manipualative (depending on how you read the final few lines) info-leech. Perhaps she wants her hands on Harry's gold? He was awarded 2 million Galleons by the Ministry, plus the supposed Potter 'fortune' that people go with. Something just doesn't seem right there...

Ok, so perhaps Harry did put her under the Imperius like he did Hugo, but I just can't see i myself. Harley joined the Joker willingly... maybe he persuaded her to join him... *shrugs*

Either way, Harry!Joker + That much cash = not good.

Still, while i'm bored & on topic... any idea's what/who the Twins have found in their basement? My money's on some kind of... invitation/message from Harry - does he know of their 'loyalty' or not...? You wouldn't think so, but who knows...

8. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    The Malfoy I was talking about was Lucius Malfoy, not Draco.

9. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Ah yes, my bad, forgot about Chapter 4 briefly, well, the Neville area of it anyway, but yeah, it works aside from the blood relation, but i'm sure that isn't going to matter much.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    :awesome

New chapter is awesome.

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

There was altogether too much of the: "[First half of sentence]", the Joker's voice lowered, "... [second half of sentence]" device but otherwise it was ass-rapingly good.

12. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

A good update, and I think a few of us will except the shortness due to the AN at the bottom.

It was interesting, seeing how everything's starting to come into play though. Not quite how I thought
    Fleur (a possible Harley Quinn? Look likely to me) and the Twins would be used, but well.. it was different!

So, with the events of the latest update, I'm beginning to wonder who else will become 'Clowns' for the Joker, or more likely, what else is going to happen. Eagerly awaiting the next update.

13. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Uhhh.. What?

But yea, nice update. Some of Joker's conversations with the Twins seemed unnecessarily dramatic and overblown. I really liked the action scenes. In the scene with the Joker handing George the trunk, your use of "he" was a little confusing and took one or two rereadings to understand which one you where talking about. Besides that, I enjoyed the chapter. Looking forward to updates.

14. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

This is absurd.

There's already somebody in canon perfectly set up to emulate the Joker, and Harry Potter is not that person. In addition, which other reviewers have already pointed it out before, superimposing of BB/DK plotlines almost directly over the HP-verse is stupid. D&D really is a talented writer, but the idea of Harry as the Joker or Neville (LOL) as the Dark Knight just doesn't work IMO. It makes no sense for him to be pissed off at such a large group of people he associated with.
    The Dursleys? Sure.
    Death Eaters? Obviously.
    Fudge? Should've killed him on sight.

His friends? No.

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of Batman that's affecting my objectivity - who knows.

2/5

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  15. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Offtopic- JustBlasie pray tell who is perfectly set up to emulate Joker in Cannon?

Ontopic- As a whole i like the story but the author is making Harry way too much like The Joker in TDK. So for that alone 3.5/5

16. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Gee, I dunno. Who spent 12 years in Azkaban despite his innocence?

Who had grown up surrounded by "darkness"?

Who had a history of pulling pranks, and in one case doing a prank that went too far?

Who has the same barking/laughing trait, from canon, that had to be forced on this story's Joker?

Who was pulled away from the crime scene, when arrested, laughing his ass off ?

It's only because someone proposed the Joker!Harry (yet another facet of insane!Harry that is constantly fapped to) that most ignored the more obvious choice of Joker.

At least D&D didn't make Luna = Harley Quinn, thank goodness.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  17. Torak

Torak Death Eater

ah point taken but I just don't see Sirus as Joker maybe its just me

18. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

The fact that Sirius is dead kind of takes it all away, but I can see where you're coming from Blaise, just Sirius in canon to me, seems too... 'old' to be the Joker. Not that i'm saying that would hinder him, but Sirius came out of Azkaban relatively sane compared to Harry in this story.

As for hatred gainst his friends - If I were Harry, I'd be angry at, if not 'insane' why? - Well, they never tried to get him out, they didn't fight against his case because he 'admitted' to the crime. Though if they knew Harry that well (they must do as they did go to school with him for 5 years in this one..) they'd fight the case; there's no way Harry would kill his family despite how much he may hate them.

They left him there to rot & aside from the Twins, nobody gave a damn or tried to do anything, so Harry in all fairness, has every right to be pissed off at them.

Luna as Harley Quinn did spring to mind here, but personally, I can see Fleur becoming Harley, even if she is under the Imperius at the moment.

19. Denial and Deception

Denial and Deception Muggle

I think a Sirius!Joker story is an awesome idea and I think you should run with it, but that's not my story. I'm just sort of a Harry-centric kind of guy.

As for the whole friends thing; I will address this AGAIN in the next chapter to what I consider to be its fullest extension, but understand one thing: Harry is gone. There is no Harry. The "demonstration" at Ron and Hermione's flat served to simply illustrate this fact. It was supposed to be the final way of saying, "I'm not Harry."

As for the whole "he would have just killed these people immediately" thing...

The Joker is not out for revenge. What does he have to avenge? It's not personal.

The Joker is a curse upon the wizarding world. He's an "agent of chaos". All he wants is to watch the whole thing burn. The thing is, he wants them to light the match themselves.

The mere existence of the Joker IS Harry's revenge.

Character replacement...Fine, it's character replacement. It's a crossover, after all.

Besides, it's just so damn fun!

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Potter Law I

Who the fuck wants to read a story with Sirius as the main character?

Yeah, I'm sure there's somebody who does, after all there's also an audience for Snape/Harry slash too, but who really gives a shit? :confused: