1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and The Dark Knight by Denial and Deception - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

1. Seriously? Fuck Potter Law. I've seen stories that follow it for the most part and still suck ass. I've seen stories that don't follow it and are damn-near amazing.

But, for form's sake: Potter Law XXIII (more or less), and a potential violation of XXVII in the future chapters.

2. Contrary to popular belief, the Joker isn't the main focus of the Batman series. There's no Batman Law, but if there were, what do you think would be numeral I ?

You don't want to read about Sirius as the main character? Good, me neither. I also don't want to read about Neville as the main character - which he is, 'cos he's the Dark Knight.

I know it'd be so hard to manage Harry as the Dark Knight, seeing as how Bruce Wayne's and Harry Potter's lives have no parallels-

Oh.

2. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Well, ok so they're both orphans, both have rather large fortunes (well, that's speculation on Harry's side but meh) and that's all that comes to mind aside from the fact they have fight/have fought evil.

Neville in this makes a good Dark Knight. When writen by a good author, either as canon Neville, or a Neville with guts, Neville is an enjoyable character to read. Harry as TDK would be just as good, if not better, but then he'd be all pussified if Sirius was the Joker because he wouldn't want to kill him.

Who else could we have aside from Voldemort as a villain though? Penguin? Ginny as Poison Ivy? I don't know. I agree with you Bliase, but i'm still going to read, just because Denial's good at writing and I like Harry as the Joker. As long as Neville turns into a badass and not the canon-Neville, or Draco becomes evil again, then it'll all be good.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

That's taking it way too far.

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I feel this way too, for the most part, but rule one is the way to go virtually 100% of the time.

Truth be told, since this is Harry Potter and Harry is the joker, I assumed he'd be the focus (dangerous, I know). So far, but for Neville's back story, he has been.

Glad that's settled... :awesome

Lulz.

The main differences between Harry and Bruce Wayne are that Bruce grew up as a pampered rich kid whereas Harry grew up as slave labor and Bruce Wayne had a choice about whether or not to fight crime, Harry, being a child of prophecy, was simply fucked. Other than that, they're fairly similar in many respects.

No, he'd be conflicted, like all interesting heroes are (unless the author was douche, then he would get 'pussified'). :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  5. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Exactly. Are these the extremes we really want to go to if Harry was TDK?

Warlocke - Well, this is true.. but I still find Harry as the Joker more interesting; Sirius didn't snap, Harry did :p

6. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

You know, the costume George was wearing in Chapter five reminds me of the costume worn by Candlejack. I mean-

7. Chaotic Harmony

Chaotic Harmony Third Year

Candlejack?

Who the hell is Ca-

8. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Not for me anyway.Potter Law I rings true but for very few exceptions. Most of the non Harry-centric fics I've read and enjoyed are one-shots. Multi-chaptered ones would only work if the character is interesting enough. Tom Riddle is one fine example, and I suppose Dumbledore is another.

Neville, bad ass or not, simply isn't interesting enough to me. His character is quite bland, even if he did grow a pair in DH. Having Neville play an almost equal role in a fic to Harry is almost more than I can accept.

I also didn't really like the idea of simply writing TDK scenes but tweaking them and replacing them with HP characters, but since that was your intention from the beginning, I can't really say anything.

This fic serves more as light, casual reading for me rather than a serious one.

9. Andro

Exactly. This has constantly been one strong portrayal of Joker away from being another run-of-the-mill story. An actual crossover might have constituted a much better story, with Harry and the Joker existing as distinct entities, an original plot, etc.

10. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

5/5 tl;dr

I'll just dupe most of my review to the author:

Oh, GOD, that was good.

I always liked Neville - I thought JKR never used him properly, and canon!AD, when he decided he had his Chosen One, completely ignored the fact that until Voldemort marked Harry, both infant boys were equally likely to be a hero.

I *love* the concept of the two of them working together against Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Vigilante Law and vengeful Chaos united against a common enemy - lots of plot possibilities there, especially during a civil war. The best part is that Joker won't make much distinction between the DE and the Order, although none of the Order has actually been physically damaged, yet. The victims of violence will be the torturers and murders and those who allow the DE free rein.

I'm confident that whatever happens to Lucius Malfoy and Dawlish will be the stuff of legends.

Although I have no doubt that the mental and emotional damage Joker will do to the Order will be acute, that payback is for their personal betrayal of Harry. The people who knew Harry should have known better. Joker wants them to pay for destroying Harry: and what use is a dead payback victim? The best payback is endless. If the Order members who betrayed Harry really understood what was happening, they'd change their children's names and send them far away - out of the country, and never make contact with the kids again. That *probably* would be sufficient protection from Joker: he isn't particularly interested in torturing innocents. He has little restraint when it comes to collateral damage, however. Neville will be a strong influence on that issue. Neville, even as the Dark Knight, Will Not support the torture and murder of innocent children.

I noticed that the prison guards are not Harry's targets. They were just doing their jobs, and they strove to make Harry's incarceration as painless as possible within the law. I never stopped to think about what it would do an ordinary decent human being, to know that they are part of the process that is torturing a child. Moreover, they were part of the process that destroyed the child utterly.

All the characters have so much depth and colour. Their motivations are reasonable and their actions are completely appropriate with thir personalities.

You've done a marvelous job building suspense. Even though we *know* what is happening, every chapter is full of surprises. That scene in Ron and Hermione's living room is a fine example - all the way to the end, I was afraid that there wasn't enough Harry left to keep him from killing the children while Joker was making his points.

Harry was probably still a virgin when he was incarcerated, which raises some issues. You mentioned a Joker/Knight pairing: whether they become lovers or blood brothers or close partners, THAT relationship could be fascinating and awe-inspiring.

I have a few minor questions: is Neville an animagus, what happened to Harry's property, where is Dobby, does Joker love to fly, how did Joker get away from Sirius, and how did Joker maintain his health in Azkaban after Harry was lost (if his magic sustained him completely, does it still do so?) Magical post owls are extremely long-lived (I think Molly mentioned that Errol had been her owl at Hogwarts) but if Hedwig even survived, would she recognize him after all this time and all his changes? I presume Joker is a parselmouth. I wonder if he can still cast a patronus, considering that all his most happy memories would have been destroyed by the dementors, and most of the rest of his happy memories would have involved the people who abandoned him to hell. What happened to all the money that Ministry claimed to give him in reparations? I hope he thought to transfer his vault contents overseas before he got around to ruining his relationship with the goblins for all time.

I love it all, and I can't wait for more.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  11. Andro

12. Torak

Torak Death Eater

That update left me with odd chills.

The Joker's greatest fear being his innocent self is quite the twist.

13. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

Cool stuff. I had already given up on this. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

14. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

That. Was. Intense.
    Everyone make sure to leave a review, ok? I don't want her discouraged.

15. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Now I'm not sure If I had reviewed this here or not, but I have to say that I found this fic very good.

I think of particular relevance here is one of DLP's mottos (courtesy of Nonjon), "Welcome to DLP, Your tears make us hard."

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  16. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

Fuck man. This chapter scared me a little, Harry truly is insane and will never go back to being that innocent boy.

But to rip that boggart apart like that? Sweet.

This is one of the most intense stories I have on alert right now, right there along with Shezza`s series and Jbern`s Lie.

I look forward to more, and this fic truly deserves a spot in the library.

17. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It has certain flaws - the major being a crossover with the Dark Knight.

However, it has a certain ... eloquence and atmosphere which puts the "Dark" into Dark Arts.

5/5 so far and probably the best Azkaban so far imo.

18. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

I really like this story,
    all characters seem pretty much spot on here (at least for this story) and I was very entertained while reading this, which is the main reason for me to read something, so 5/5

19. Denial and Deception

Denial and Deception Muggle

I fucking hate the editing features of this site.

Before I bitch any more, I wanted to say thanks for all the reviews; both good and bad.

I'm aware this story is a knock-off at best; I just want it to be the best knock-off ever.

I wish I could do a preview kind of thing; but I have no idea how any of this bullshit features work. Whiskey does not aid the editing process.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  20. Devin Cybrus

Devin Cybrus First Year

I like the story overall but its stuffed to the brim with melodrama and the author is waaay too obsessed with alcohol.