1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Magical Relations by evansentranced - T

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Xiph0, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Title: Magical Relations
    Author: evansentranced
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor, I guess. I'd say Humor/Adventure.
    DLP Category: Humor.
    Pairing: None.
    Chapters: 57
    Words: 205,583
    Updated: January 27, 2013
    Published: March 18, 2007

Summary: AU First Year onward: Harry's relatives were shocked when the Hogwarts letters came. Not because Harry got into Hogwarts. They had expected that. But Dudley, on the other hand....That had been a surprise. Currently in 3rd year.
    Link: FF.nazi

Pretty damn good. Don't even read the summary, just go read it. Has kept me entertained for the afternoon. Was surprised it wasn't in the library yet. :)

Checked by Minion, February 23, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'd rather put it in General.
    I certainly enjoyed reading this one. Writing style was proper, characters seem to reasonable and I really liked the idea of someone else being able to learn parseltongue.

Overall 4/5

3. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

It's been said before, but being able to learn parseltongue is lame as fuck.

The whole point of it is that it's a magical language and the only people who can speak it are Slytherin's descendants, meaning that it cannot be learned or imitated.

Harry was able to speak it because a portion of Voldemorts soul resided in him....but then again, IRCC, doesn't Ron open the locket by imitating parseltongue in DH?

Goddammit.

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Yes, Ron did.

Which was stupid as fuck.

As to the story, I'll get around to reading it later.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yeah. But that doesn't make it less ass-fucking-lame. Only DH worse.

I stumbled over the story a few times, but always skipped it, because Magical!Dudley sounds about as great as Squib!Harry. But since it's now posted here, I might as well take look at it, although I'm already inclined to distract 0.5 from whatever my voting will be, just for that Parseltongue-thing.

Also, I hope Dudley stays in the background. Very much so.

Edit:
    I can't stand authors who do that. Go decide such things yourself, you twit. It's your goddamn story. About the only thing worse is writing two endings.

And I don't like Harry/Luna, either.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  6. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

4/5 right now, I seen this a couple time but I just skipped it =/ but it's good so far.

I just checked his profile out and he has a poll for the pairing, so I suggest if you don't want a slash pairing you better go and vote. So far Luna is winning but Draco is in second place.

7. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Well it is a nice story but my problem with it, before I even began reading, was the slash coming on the horizon. It'd be rather disappointing to read another good story which has kept your interest for a good 100k words but then makes you run screaming once HP starts dreaming about sucking off 'the noble Slytherin prince'...

Well that gives another 20-30k words more, but then it'd still be a hard task going through them. Just thinking about reading a setting for Harry/Draco romance makes me... damn it here it goes my breakfast...

8. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Seconded, but humorous aspects are certainly present here, the quote below is an excellent example.

Anyhow, I'd probably give this one a 4. If you can get past Redeemed!Dursley males, and Draco and Snape being portrayed in a decent light, you will almost assuredly be entertained.

9. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

It is an entertaining little read. I feel that it is just a little to good to be put in the bin, though it could be a lot better. I like what happens with Petunia.

4/5

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Been following this one a while. Definitely a 4/5 from me.
    Dirty blasphemer.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Definitely a good story; almost how I'd expect the series to progress if Harry had been Sorted into Slytherin, and he did pay a bit more attention to his studies and surroundings. Dudley being a wizard wasn't all that bothersome - I think it just sped up the process of diminishing his douchebaggery that we got a hint of in DH.

The ability to learn parseltongue is canon (lame as it may seem),as is the idea of millenia-old magic being trumped or expanded on (Horcruxes, Moody's Eye and the Invisibility Cloak, etc.), so Anthony finding a way to learn wasn't as bothersome either. Characterization is humorous and true-to-canon, managing to highlight each of their weaknesses without becoming a bash-fic. I couldn't stop reading it once I started.

The poll and the pandering authors notes piss me off, but those are pet peeves, and haven't yet diminished the overall quality of the story. 4/5

12. tywyll fiach

tywyll fiach First Year DLP Supporter

3/5 It's good, but it's nothing really great. It just seems to lack that kind of touch of brilliance. However, the rating may drop substantially if it turns out to be slash.

Grammatically, I didn't catch anything really glaring.

13. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Just spent a few hours perusing this, and it was pretty good. Nothing terribly creative or new, but still good just the same.

I also enjoyed what he did with Petunia. And Dudley is definitely staying in the background, mostly serving just to make sure that Harry doesn't hate his life at Privet Drive quite as much.

4/5

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I actually forgot learning parseltongue was canon. XD

15. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yeah, I think Dumbledore was reputed to know it (why he couldn't hear the basilisk in CoS, who f'in knows), and Ron "fakes" it (one of the most, "Are you shitting me?" moments of canon) once or something.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Ron faked it at the end of Deathly Hallows to recover a Horcrux (not sure which one) from the Chamber of Secrets whilst Harry was otherwise occupied.

17. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

JKR was pulling shit out of her ass in DH, making Ron use parseltongue was just pure bullshit and does not flow with the story at all.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

No, it's really not bullshit.

If a humanoid can speak it, it can be learned - heredity only designates whether or not there's a learning curve. Troll, mermish, giant, Gobbledegook, and the bunch of other languages it was implied that Crouch,Sr., could speak, he wasn't born knowing. Languages, like many of the other things we nitpick about, weren't that essential to the plot of the story, but there was nothing saying that it couldn't be learned.

Can I speak French? No. But I can say hello, call someone a bitch, and invite women to sleep with me - the essentials, really. The point is, there's no reason to think that Ron couldn't mimick the word "open". While he won't be hissing erotic poetry into the ear of She-With-Vagina-Hair, I think we can all get over Ron learning how to say one fucking word.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But snakes don't have lips or tongues like us. Merpeople, trolls and goblins do. That's my issue with it. I don't mind anyone being able to understand it, but only the Slytherins and Harry should be able to speak it.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, i'm half way through.

Either the first quarter was more funny than the second, or I find it far more funny while stoned.

Interesting to read a story where the Dursleys aren't too bad. First one i've actually read in that regard. Slytherin!Harry is cool.

I fucking hate authors that do Polls for ships though, i'd never do something like that, write the story how you want to, fuck reader involvement. ><

Edit: May I was wrong.

LOL