1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Team 8 by S'TarKan - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Mrriddler, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Title: Team 8
    Author: S'TarKan
    Fandom: Naruto
    Rating: T
    Pairings: Naruto/Hinata
    Chapters: 22
    Words: 255,693
    Updated: Sep 6, 2013
    Published: Jan 2, 2006
    Status: Semi-Abandoned (S'Tarkan publishes one chapter every other year or so)

Link: Team 8
    Summary: What if Naruto had been selected for a different team? What if he'd had a different mentor? Who would guess the consequences would be so large?

I checked the list twice and couldn't find it. I'm rather surprised it's not up. Even though it has been losing some of its luster even in my eyes, I figured it's worth at least a four.

Just got updated to ch. 19 so it was a nice belated x-mas gift. I'll let people read it so I won't go into specifics.

The content is probably boring for most readers here but I haven't been around for a bit, and S'TarKan's writing is always above par so I enjoyed it. There was a lot of talking and the way he handled and dealt with some of the intra-village relationships leaves much to be desired. But it is a T rating I guess so some of that is understandable.

The great saving point for this chapter (for me) was the end. The way he handled it was quite ingenious. With the million and one chuunin exams out there, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen this overdone subplot handled quite like this. I think it took a bit of finesse and it was perfect for Starkan who likes to try new things but keep a storyline that is comparable to canon.

Checked by Minion, February 11, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Ksai

Ksai Third Year

I like this fic and it's in my favourites...

But there is one problem that is becoming more and more obvius in the latest chapters.
    When Starkan started to write his fic it was simply a masterpiece. Very few fics could compete with this story in 2006. And writing style and execution was very high in Naruto verse at that time.
    But after two years many things changed in Naruto fanfics. Standarts have risen drammaticly. And what was once one of the greatest story is just another good fic now.
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm so tiered of reading about abusive teachers, evil council, civillians who paint "demon" on his house... Naruto - Hinata romance seem's so cliche, that it actually hurts my teath to read it.

If you somehow haven't read this fic and would like to enjoy it - the only way you'll be able to do this - if you leave all your sceptisism out of this story. Dont try to pick up plot holes in this story or try to find any negative sides. Just read and try to find what you like.:)

3. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I agree with most of this, highlighted sentence aside.

Naruto fanfiction for the most part remains a steaming cesspool of vile, rancid waste.

The biggest problem I see with this story is the same one I have with NoFP. It's just never going to end at the rate he is moving the plot forward and the rate he updates.

It's been over two years and we're just now out of the Chuunin Exams, and while the story is exceptionally well-written, it's nothing particularly special plot-wise.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

>.> I'd say fanfiction as a whole is a cesspool of vile, rancid waste. I don't think Naruto is anymore vile, it's simply larger. One of the largest fandoms I think, at least by story count (perhaps only beaten by HP).

Standards haven't risen so much as we grow sick of tired plots and worn writing.

5. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

NaruxHina seems to be rapidly approaching the point of HxG when it comes to mainstream fandom. Less and less people like it because more and more people take the easy way out and follow the cliches. It CAN be done properly, but you don't see it very often.

The only thing that really bugs me about T8 is SuperAbusive!Hiashi. Yes, Hinata's life hasn't been very good, but a lot of authors take this to Dursley levels. -,-

EDIT: (And you know, I've made mention of how oddly similar Naruto and HP are before. RxHr = SasuSaku anyone?)

6. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Thankfully you won't have to see this play out since Kishimoto pretty much cemented NaruSaku in 429/430, assuming he decides to go there.

7. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Good God, 218,684 words and he's still just wrapping up the Chuunin Exam arc. You can find books that have covered entire wars with far less words than that.

Sssssllllllooooowwwww.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

And updates take eons. EONS

Seriously, good story, but it's so unbelievably slooww.

9. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

This story is responsible for getting me simi-interested in Naruto.

I read it over Easter Break, my only knowledge of canon was gained from glancing at an article somewhere on the Web. I was, naturally, totally amazed. In the past few years however, many prominent concepts here got turned into clichés´s. The slow update rate certainly doesn't help.

quite a few readers and authors are understandably disgruntled over all the hype, but I feel the story still stands on its own, due to solid writing and some outstanding sequences.

10. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

This reeks of that other fic of his. Y'know, the HP one in which Harry + Ginny = lurve beyond compare.

Also, Hinata is Ginny 1.0. We have to wait before she puts her elbow in the butter dish, but it'll be there.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It's a well written story but it definitely has it's bad moments. Also, the romance is a bit painful at times, nearly unreadable at others.

Something worthy of note, this was the first Naruto story I read where it had a Harry Potter-style shopping chapter included.

It doesn't surprise me, the author formerly from the HP fandom and writer of some pretty cliche stories back in the day.

12. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Definitely would count it as one of the top Naruto fanfics. While the characterizations aren't unique in any way, the plot has more than enough originality to make up for it IMO.

I wouldn't say formerly considering NoFP is still being written.

13. Mage Ronin

Mage Ronin Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

That's the problem with great original fics that have slow updates. By the time you reach a certain point (The Chunnin Exam in 2 years!), most of the fans of the said story have taken it apart and in every possible direction there could possibly be.

By now, the story plot is a bit cliche, predictable, sometimes boring and probably just readable for sole pleasure. It's not a great fic anymore. It's good and I'd likely recommend it as an enjoyable read. 4/5, only because of the quality writing, the occasional creative ideas, and that it was a pioneer of Team 8 fics (taking the bold first step).

14. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Was there ever another reason for reading fanfiction? On another note, it's good, but slow moving. I'd give it a 4/5.

15. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

This story is very slow moving and update speed is pretty irregular and infrequent as well. That said, while it is no longer unique among the fanfic population, I remember a time when this was the premeir example of Naruto fanfiction and the rampant fics that ripped ideas from this story. Still a very good read. 4.5/5

16. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

I think that's quite unfair. I think NoFP is complete drivel especially since the H/G is unbelievably creepy, but Naru/Hina in this is the complete opposite of that. As appropriate for their age, I think the romance is hardly even there and you can read it over inferring strong friendship if you want. If anything I could understand if people thought that the both of them are ridiculously unperceptive and constantly second guessing each others' feelings negatively (a Naru/Hina cliche in itself).

Now if they did an about face with their feelings and start doing it everywhere (as happens in fics) then I would throw up, but there's been plenty of opportunity, so I don't think he's going to play that lame-ass card.

...For what it's worth he had a strong alternative to everyone's favorite Wave Arc.

My only complaint other than abusedHina/update rate is that Kurenai is way too perfect and driving this story onward, but it's at least tastefully done.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  17. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is it sad that I came on this thread more for the fact that mrriddler's not dead than for the actual story? On-topic though, for the most part, a lot of stories worth reading, you're willing to follow for a few years. We're all still jumping for joy when Denarian Lord and DFMP update, whatever perspicacity is naming his sequel, and for lord ravenclaw to start writing that timetravel hogwarts story again. While we love quick updates, the sad truth is that for quality, we do have to wait. 4/5 edit: we're still waiting for secret of the male veela to finish, aren't we? Sadly, sometimes quality writing is quit as well, which leaves us 200k words of most epic cliffhangers ever. Foxhound anyone?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  18. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

This story was easily one of the best 1 or 2 years ago, an easy 5/5. Times worn away some of its greatness, simply because its now so full of cliches. You can't really detract points away from the story for it though, considering it was around before the cliches were around. I'm not arrogant enough to say it created them, but it certainly had its way in creating them. A 'classic' in the Naruto fanfiction world, if you can call anything that yet.
    NaruHina is still my favourite pairing. I'm fine with Naruto with other people, but I can't read anything with Hinata with someone else. Just doesn't seem right considering how much she's attracted to him. And as someone who actually likes the pairing, I feel bits of nerdrage at the implication it's similiar to HxG. But instead of creating a tl'dr, 40-year-old-virgin affirming essay on why it's different, I'll just point out that Hinata's character has remained consistent and unbutchered throughout the series. In my opinion, Sakura=Ginny. Could be because I hate the pink haired bitch though.

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Wat. No, Sakura would definitely be the Hermione of Naruto, as much as I don't really like making comparisons between the two series. Book smart and the female member of the 'Golden Trio' (canon Team 7). Hinata is the one who has the Ginwhore stalker crush on the protagonist. Naruto/Hinata IS the Harry/Ginny of Naruto. My general take on NaruHina is that it's fine for smut, but fails for regular fanfiction.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  20. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

I was thinking about character development there. Incredibly useless into amazing, fantastic superwoman with no sort of development in between.
    Besides, Ginny was only Hinata-like before her character was completely changed. Afterwards she was more Sakura-ish personality wise.
    Gah, I see what you mean with the comparisons now.