1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I'm not drawing my conclusion from canon, as there's not much evidence that she's was detrimental to Neville's development, but from this actual story.

I think in chapter 6, HJ makes a comment along the lines that Frank would be horrified to find out what happened to Neville, in reaction to the difficulty HJ has in getting Neville to go to Diagon Alley. Also Neville states that his grandmother has strict control over Neville's vault, and tells him "If the wand was good enough for your father, it's good enough for you" when he wants to get his own.

2. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

I see Aimee as the 'older sister' figure, or at least becoming that. Especially after all this dragon crap.

I'd like to see Harry present her with a dragon steak, medium well, upon her release from the hospital...and no, it doesn't have to be from that dragon...

3. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I hope it's Frank - from a purely practical perspective, he's the one they need. Moreover, Neville is old enough not to want another dominate female figure. He needs a positive father role: not someone who deliberately drops children into the surf or carelessly out a window. I can see Augusta simply sweeping Alice out of the way, using her role as Matriarch to override the policies of a very young woman who isn't even a Longbottom.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm almost getting the impression that Jbern is leading us on, and is going to pull something entirely unexpected out of his ass. I could be wrong however.

Either way, that chapter was an absolute pleasure to read. I actually reread the whole fic starting yesterday, in anticipation of a new chapter coming out. Damn my instincts were good. :D

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wonderful chapter - 5 stars.

Harry/Fleur interaction was brilliant, and did much to erase my previous fears set in the chapter before. A nice slap in the face to Fleur, and one that can realistically shake her enough to make a dent in her character.

Aimee was also done well - and by this point, kudos for creating an OC that I really do care about. I think that's your strongest point really. Even minor ones like the Flamels and Athena have unique characters, and one can emoitionally connect with them, for better or for worse.

Lots of interesting little side plots. I think you hit the target right on the mark of showing Harry taking up the mantle, and a nice unique twist with the one or the other in regards to the Longbottoms.

Anyway, well done. I'd say this is one of the best chapters thus far.

6. loWall

loWall Second Year

Making my first official post in DLP.net =)

Really enjoyed this chapter.

My best guess would be Alice. Despite the practicality, I think HJ would consider the healing impact. Experience is needed, sure, but optimism is something that everyone needs. Might be slightly too Dumbledorish reasoning, though. If it wasn't for the fact that he already discarded Lockhart, I would have picked him as a possibility [since Jim seems to like to throw a bombshell every chapter =p ]

I thought Fleur is developing wonderfully, and the HP/FD pairing is developing nicely. But I wonder if their first date would be in the Chamber of Secrets =) [since HJ seems to enjoy an unconventional twist in everything he does]

[Don't mind me, Jim. I got a small wager with my friend on the location of the first date] :banana:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
  7. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

HJ doesn't end up with Fleur in the end.. He cures Alice and then they start banging..

8. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

Aimee coming off as a sisterly figure works well - takes some of the edge of HJ's bullheadedness and although ultimately he does what he wants, a second point of view from someone closer to his own age he has some degree of objective affection for who isn't too far embroiled in his personal life like Hermione could develop his more cautious and survivalist side of his personality.

9. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I found the chapter a bit lacking. It was put together well enough but I'm finding myself caring very little about these characters. I Bungle I was upset to see each of the team members die along the way but right now I'm not really caring about any of these guys.

Also I am finding HJ very lacking as a leader.

He just seems to be a pretty strong, decently trained wizard. There is nothing special about him.

Now I don't want him to be super amazing at 14/21 but I don't even get the impression of him being anything special in the future. There is nothing... Dumbledorish about him.

10. loWall

loWall Second Year

I thought Aimee's run-in and the aftermath was very nicely written. Her characterization was also great, and I find myself getting depressed at her injury.

To be fair to HJ, this story hasn't been providing many situations where he has to show leadership, since he has been pretty much alone in dealing with situations like the Tasks, the twins, Crouch etc, unlike Bungle, where he is effectively working in a team and interacts with the team on a mission basis.

He is strong, thanks to JP's memories. He reacts well to situations, thanks to HP/JP's wealth of experiences - HP's experience in growing up with the Dursleys, and JP's experience in life. He also shows that he is more mature [even than 7th year Fleur], thanks to the mesh of JP/HP.

His approach to the prophecy is a even tempered one, if somewhat fixated upon it. What's not special about him?

In Bungle, he was able to face the Daemon [with help]. I won't exactly call that an under-powered performance either. =)

I called him somewhat Dumbledorish because of some of his comments -

"Arthur was never really much good in a fight. He might not stack up very well when wands come out, but there’s more to living than just fighting, and there are other lessons I can learn from him."

and also -

"I'm glad you didn't bring Neville, since this might not work. Getting one of his parents back is a blessing, but having to be around to decide which one gets the chance isn't something he needs to be burdened with"

Comparing it to an earlier part, where the Hat grumbled about Dumbledore being too much of a softy about telling the truth about Crouch to Neville, I thought the resemblance was there. Thus the Dumbledorish comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
  11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Harry is much more mature than TML Harry. TML Harry is mature in some ways but doesnt really know that much of his own world. This Harry is mature in the ways that TML Harry is plus the ways he isnt. I doubt that Dumbledore's scheme to keep Harry around in TML would have worked on this Harry.

12. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Alice was an Auror and personally met and escaped Voldemort thrice... so her force of will isn't to be underestimated. That said - I imagine that either Frank or Alice would be enormously traumatized over the experience of nearly thirteen years of insanity - either could probably be manipulated early on.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  13. Innomine

High Score:
    I just don't think either Alice or Frank need to be brought back. No one expects it, it would be far more valuable to just say fuck them, and save it for someone who actually really needs it. Or give it to Aimee.

14. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Given that James seems to have been rather close with the Longbottom, and HJ becoming close with Neville, I think that he'd feel guilty if had the power to potentially bring them back, but never used it.

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Aimee will get better on her own. Yes, it will be a long, difficult, painful recovery, but she will recover. Alice and Frank will NEVER get better on their own. Who needs it more than Alice or Frank? Harry's friends? Hermoine? Ron? Dumbledore? He could say it for decades and never have a chance to use it.

16. Innomine

High Score:
    Who will miss Frank or Alice? I mean fuck, they have been gone for the last 13 years. I honestly don't think just bringing one back would be worth it.

Now, if he could bring both back, it wouldn't be so bad, but one? Fuck it. Bring someone more connected to current times back, or save it for someone who needs it later on. I am sure there will be people who need it.

17. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

Like who? Answer that question or stop spouting bullshit.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Er, what the fuck? There's a war coming up. Obviously, there will be people who'll get critically wounded and could be saved with the elixir, that's a no-brainer. Considering his status, it's even likely that Harry might get in a state where it would be of use to himself.

That he chose to give it to Alice or Frank was more for Neville's sake and has not all that much to do with who or what could benefit himself best. From that point of view, it's a waste of resources, but that wasn't the point there, it was bringing back one of James' friends and Neville's parents.

Maybe he should've saved it, I know I would have, but from what I remember, I can see it working with the rest of his characterisation, so yeah ... I don't think I actually mind. And it gets him a lesson in making a choice; perhaps that'll be of use to him later in critical situations.

19. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

So bringing back an experienced wizard/witch who has fought Voldemort before versus waiting for someone to possibly get a wound that might not be solvable with regular magic? What part of another experienced ally don't you get?

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

:confused:

... right. Let's assume here that I wrote something else entirely to make your answer fit and we have something to speak about.

1. We don't know yet if it will work. It could just as well do nothing at all.
    2. We don't know what state Frank or Alice will be in, even if either wakes up.
    3. We don't know how long it will last, whether it's permanent or not.

So what we're talking about is possibly getting an "experienced ally", while we can be certain that Harry (to go with that example) will get into sticky situations where drinking some elixir can easily decide between life and death in a fight. You've got it backwards.

However, that's just assuming things. So at the risk of repeating myself; Harry's decision had really nothing all that much to do with getting an "experienced ally", I don't care much since it seems to work with his character, and maybe you should care less?