1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Sshh

Dont be giving away such big secrets.

There isnt enough given in canon to really know what it will do. Which is why its gonna do whatever the hell Jbern wants it to do.

But yes Voldemort went after it to restore his body.

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Does that sentence work? :confused:

3. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

@Hash: LOL it works. Think hard.
    @Howdy: I always took Voldemort's desire for the stone as half the equation, not a final solution. That is, he'd (1) get the stone, (2) make a body via the GoF cauldron ceremony or the CoS life-force switch, but with Quirrel, and (3) gain immortality via the Elixir.

But I suppose Ragon is right: we don't really know what the Elixir is capable of, leavin JBern free to play with it to his heart's content. As far as canon goes, even if Voldemort thought that the Stone = new body, that doesn't mean he was right.

Of the two, Voldemort fucking up is a safer bet than the any multitude of the Stone's potentiallyl awe'thum powahs.

4. masteraleph

masteraleph First Year

One thing I'm noting in a lot of "Harry should do this" posts right now- a lot of people seem to be juxtaposing Bungle/TML Harry with TLIL Harry. This Harry, while somewhat more mature, is not a battle hardened adult and isn't nearly as jaded as Bungle Harry. Moreover, because he hasn't suffered the same sorts of betrayal, he hasn't gotten the "screw the world" kind of mentality (well, not THAT type of screw the world mentality) that would be required to do something like hanging onto the potion for a rainy day or using the potion to restore someone to fighting prowess when it could be used to help someone like one of the Longbottoms.

5. Hashasheen

Actually that makes me wonder, how the fuck do you use the stone? put the stone a tea pot and boil it with some water? grind it to powder which you then sprinkle on some fish and chips? Did JKR ever explain this?

6. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

James wasn't a battle-hardened adult?

He wasn't jaded by living through and dying in a war that saw many of his friends killed?

Not too sure about that one.

Circumstances haven't warranted the "take no prisoners" HJ yet, but I'd bet they will in time - especially during the sequal.

Or did you forget that HJ already killed... uh... Yaxley? with a metal spike?

7. Boo

Boo Auror

Didnt he kill Crouch Jr too? Plus that little ankle biter elf.

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Yes, that too.

9. almchristensen

almchristensen Squib

I've always thought the stone worked by releasing some sort of mystical radiation/energy on command that would stabilize or alter a preexisting spell or potion. Thus Voldemort would use the stone to improve the ritual that gave him the homunculus body to instead give him a true body to work with.

10. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

According to Wiki:

I think it would be an interesting idea if Flamel never bothered to mention that you didn't just make a stone and use it forever, but that you had to keep making them as you used them up making the elixer of life.

Also, you apparently need mercury and sulfur.

Note: The crazy emperor of China that had the Great Wall constructed, died from drinking a mucruy and ground-up jade concoction that was supposed to make him live forever.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  11. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

For all that it's worth, I really hope this turns out the way Lunchbox predicted and have the potion fail spectacularly. Harry's life is pretty much smooth-sailing, most of the crucial decisions he made has never yet really backfired on him.

It's time to show he is human too, and all humans, whose decisions can be swayed by sentimentality and emotions, will definitely screw up at some point or another.

12. Portus

Portus Heir

Oh yeah, definitely smooth sailing up to this point. Let's recap, shall we?

(1) His parents die saving him, and he ends up with the lovely Dursleys.
    (2) That whole cupboard and catflap and bars on the window thing...
    (3) Wizard who tried to kill him happens to still be alive, and takes another shot at killing him from the back of his teacher's head, and Harry ends up killing said teacher.
    (4) Everyone thinks he's an evil wizard, and his best friend's sister nearly dies, courtesy of the aforementioned evil wizard, and Harry very nearly dies from a giant snake.
    (5) He realizes he has all his dad's memories, not only of porking his mom (great visual) but also of his friend Remus doing the same thing. Oh, and there's that whole memory of getting steamrolled by Voldemort too...
    (6) As a further result of those memories, he knows he has a prophecy hanging over his head to save the world from the wizard who not only has smoked his ass once, but apparently the fucker can't be killed.

Yeah, I'd say all in all, it's all sunshine and roses for our boy so far.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't be too stunned if the Elixir ended up failing, as it's not been a subplot going on for several chapters or anything, but I doubt that will be how it goes.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I don't know if you've heard, but mom- porking is a bit of a positive 'round here - to the point of cancelling out any other hardships.

14. Hashasheen

would you want to be first/third after Remus?

15. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

Does "who cares where the brooms been just give it a ride" ring a bell?

16. Hashasheen

lets use that logic on Ginny shall we? or perhaps Severus? :rolleyes:

17. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

If that is what your predilections favor.

18. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That doesn't make sense. Why would he try to get the stone first and then fashion himself a new body without it, rather than the other way round? It seems very much like he plans to use the stone to fashion himself a new body.

As someone said, we do not know exactly what the stone does, but we have to assume it has more capabilities than "making you not die" (and producing gold, of course).

19. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Isn't that enough?

With enough gold and a long enough lifespan you can do just about anything...

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

In the HP-verse it makes perfect sense. Nicholas Flamel, according to the picture in his frog card, looks old. That leads me to believe that the Elixir only slows down aging significantly, not create a new body. If the Elixir could grant immortality and the chance to create a new body, why would the Flamels elect to look old?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009