1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

What he means is the "not hard to ignore" and the "bright like the sun and it begged to be noticed".

Seems strange for something as hot as the sun to be easily ignored.

2. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Gotcha. It should have been was hard to ignore. I've gone back and tried to edit out a lot of errors that I've missed since I didn't read it through before posting.

3. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Ah. Sorry. Somehow despite reading it three times, I kept seeing "was" instead of "wasn't".

4. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

You can't disappear for a few more chapters, Water Mage :p. You've gotta give us more after this.

5. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I don't know anything about the Dresden-verse outside of Shezza's Denarian stories so I apologize if this is blatantly stupid.

I didn't understand this part - why did he hightail it out of Summer when he found out he was bound to Aurora? I mean, she's just as much bound to him as he's bound to her, right? Shouldn't that countermand the Faerie debt thingy that he's - presumably - worried about?

Edit: Despite not knowing anything about the Dresden Files series, I'm enjoying this story. To me it reads more like a piece of original fiction rather than a fan-story. Excellent stuff. MOAR please!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  6. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Well the impresion I got was that a life debt still exists, because he consented to being saved no matter the consequences, so I assume that he is responsible not only for the bond between them, but also owes Aurora for having agreed to do it. Not sure though.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm just wondering if the bond means Aurora can use HP magic. I mean, its implied that Harry has a source of Summer's power that he's refusing to use, so presumably Aurora has a source of HP power, and she wouldn't have any problems with using it.

Though presumably its weaker than Harry's, just like Harry's summer power is presumably weaker than Aurora's. And also there's also the fact of Aurora not knowing how to use it, but something tells me that won't be a problem for long.

All in all this gives Aurora a massive advantage over Harry, given that she's gained a new power and so has he, but he refuses to use his.

8. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Maybe. But more importantly, marriages are spiritually bonding in the Dresden-verse. Basically, it binds Harry to her, as the Knights are bond to the queens.

Meaning she's perfectly capable of seriously fucking with his shit.

9. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Alright Ryuugi I get that part, but that should mean she's bound to him as well - M.A.D and stuff. It goes both ways or that's the impression I got. It wouldn't be a marriage otherwise, it'd be a slave-bond or something.

No, after rereading that part I'm thinking that Harry realized immediately that Aurora would now never willingly let him go back to his world. He's her husband/Knight/whatever and stuck in Dresden-verse for the rest of his life (which I suspect is going to be very long, if he's not immortal) whether he wants to be there or not. Add to this the repercussions something like this would have on the Potters and well...

Thoughts, Water Mage?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  10. Chaos Demon

Chaos Demon Squib

Somewhere that I hope you aren't. Disposing of the
    Annoyingly Intriguing. I adore Aiden, he's one of those creepy characters that you can't help but like.

Two questions on Aurora and Harry's marriage.

1)Will they have a child, seeing how thats an obligation to continue the Summer court royal bloodline?

2) How fucked up would said hell spawn be?

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate you for making me think there was another update to this.

That said:

If Harry and Aurora had a child, then the child would have to stay with Harry, because Aurora would be bound by her previous promise to Harry not to take his first-born.

12. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

It's pretty one-way with fairies, from what I know.

13. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Nah..
    She would probably trick Harry into having a child with someone else first, cause I think it mainly matters that the first child of aurora will be the powerful one, rather than Harry`s first child.

And what s the deal with resurrecting old threads...
    Even I know not to do that in any forum with my pitiful 15 posts.

14. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Third Year

Along that note, Stormey, suppose that some random chick and Harry conceived a child, then after that, Aurora and Harry conceive. We've seen that time passes differently in the Nevernever, so it is possible that Aurora spits out the kid first.

If that were the case, which child would be Harry's firstborn?

15. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Taken from the short story Something Borrowed. Granted, it's a Summer Sidhe instead of a Winter one, but I imagine that just means Aurora will be more subtle about controlling him.

16. Kyle_Dodge1

Kyle_Dodge1 DA Member

Firstborn. What do you think?

17. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

The oath wasn't given in its entirety, but the gist was shone. Both Harry and Aurora freely exchanged bits of themselves, and that created and sealed the connection between them. The oath was witnessed by the Summer Queen and the Nevernever itself, so for all intents and purposes Harry is Aurora's husband.

As far as bonds and controlling and power, Harry realizes exactly how far such a bond could go. He realized that when he likened the connection to the horcruxes. He spent a majority of his life housing another soul so he of course freaked out. It's one of the reasons he refuses to touch the power of Summer. I thought it would be like the more he uses the power, the more he opens himself up to external influence.

However because Aurora shares a portion of his wizardry doesn't mean she has a better hand than Harry because he doesn't use Summer's power. If anything they are about even. She doesn't know how Harry's wizadry exactly works, since it's not like anything she's ever seen given how varied Harry's magic is.

18. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Harry doesn't have to be tricked to have a child with a human.
    Could be someone from Nevernever.

19. Apothem

Apothem Third Year

Please remember that discussion goes in the library thread, not the actual story thread.

*This message has the Dastardly Stamp of Approval (TM) - N*

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  20. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok so wow long time coming but finally an update. A bit short but still very enjoyable, I really enjoyed seeing Aurora manipulate Harry to get him to dance to her tune, it had a very Butcher feel. However the thing that really had me curious was the scene in the court where the noble mentioned Oberon and Titania all but atomized him for it. Is Oberon going to be figuring into the story line now?