1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, but that could be books, uniforms and supplies.

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

To pay for supplies, robes and the like. Not for entrance specifically.

I'm thinking the harvesting of magical materials in the Forbidden Forest and the Greenhouses is a major source of funds, as well as the Ministry funding the school, in exchange for over sight over exams and what is taught.
    We've seen that they have a Quidditch Pitch, a Forest, a complete Castle and a town hidden nearby. Who's to say they don't have a plantation for house-elves to work on?
    They probably buy the seats on the Board by donating funds to the school or are appointed by the Ministry, and as for the latter, I've argued that there is no yearly tuition, only paying for supplies and robes, which would be inflated against squibs, muggleborn and halfbloods.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  3. Bikiluf

Bikiluf Seventh Year

I guess a muggle just can't compete with a sixth year. Those are some compelling arguments. Took the wind right out of me.

4. Hashasheen

what the fuck? I provided my thoughts on the thing discussed, based on some experiences of my own. Don't whine when someone takes the time to provide an answer Bikiluf.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  5. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

True, and good points all, Hash.

If you carefully examine the quotes from the books (PS and HBP, respectively, concerning Harry and Tom), there is no mention of tuition.

See: no mention of tuition at all. Hash makes good points for how teachers get their salaries and such.

EDIT: P.S. Hash, he was talking about your ranking based on # of posts.

6. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This.

Intellectually, I knew the house elf were slaves, but I never fully connected the idea of house elf slaves and plantation slaves.

And I'd always assumed the support fund was for books, wands, and uniform, not tuition. Figured Hogwarts was like public school sports, you can play for free, but the special goods you need (except football [american], where they provide the pads, but you still need the cleats) you have to buy yourself.

7. Boo

Boo Auror

Taxes

Wizards pay for the schooling from taxes.

Which might explain why purebloods hate muggle-borns. Pures have to pay for muggle-born witches/wizards to go to school and the muggles dont pay for anything but books and a wand.

8. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There are two absolutes in life, death, and taxes.

I doubt that though. As far as I can recall, the purebloods hate the muggle-born because they are "dirtying" up the magical gene pool. Fanon political!rich!purebloods aside, that seems to be the most cannon reason, and none of the all-wizard families (Weasley's aside) seem to be worried about money.

9. Tidus86p

Tidus86p Second Year

Well I believe that somewhere along the books the Weasleys complain about the financial strain caused by having so many children at hogwarts at the same time which if they didn't really pay tuition should be a blessing for them. And knowing Dumbledore it wouldn't surprise me if he had already known about Riddle being the heir of Slythering (and therefore having some kind of vault, unknown to the rest of his family, at Gringotts) before actually meeting the kid and kept the knoledge to himself as some kind of leverage for a later date just in case. Which would explain why the Gaunts didn't send their kids to the school of their beloved ancestor.

10. Hashasheen

Oh, I thought he was being a sarcastic asshole instead of responding to my post. That said, I demand more on Gelgrin and Harry Potter. MOAR!!!!!

Having to buy sets of supplies, robes and books every year for at least 3 would be rather costly, even without tuiton.

Fuck no, the Gaunts are not rich in anyway, they live in a pitiful shack and married their cousins because no one else would have wanted to. We also don't know that they didnt send their kids to Hogwarts but I'm guessing either they refused to send them to the school where their patriach got expelled from, or simply focused on the Fanon apprenticeships.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  11. Bikiluf

Bikiluf Seventh Year

Yes, was referring to your ranking and that you had made a compelling argument. That aside, this might sound a bit stupid but you demand what??

12. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

He wants an update from a particular story called "Escape to Darkness" by kmfrank that's in the Work by Author thread. Can't say I blame him - it's a good fic.

I always got the impression that there wasn't any set 'tuition' for Hogwarts (although a nifty idea for a AU rewrite of DH would be for Voldemort to SET a tuition - that way he can begin to cull the ranks of less-than-affluent Muggleborns and half-bloods), but that supplies weren't exactly cheap. If I remember correctly from CoS, Fred and George even mentioned that 'those Lockhart books aren't cheap', and that Mrs. Weasley looked worried. In my thinking, if they're the same price as... well, let's say the average hardcover textbook (which ISN'T cheap, especially at university), then the Weasleys have good reason to be worried.

Having read through all of the posts in this thread (in one sitting too), I have to say I'm impressed with the various ideas brought forward, and some of the fics are very solid too. There is a serious shortage of GOOD Harry/Fleur fanfic on ffn.net, and it's a pairing that hasn't been explored much. I'm a fan of the pairing in that I like it when I see it (and when it's written well, obviously).

Anyways, the reason I'm on this thread is just for a quick verification. I don't have my copies of the HP books with me in university, and for my next chapter in Renegade Cause (my WIP, link here), there's likely going to be a scene in Gringotts in the summer between Harry's fourth and fifth year (ie. OOTP time period). Here's my question: I know Fleur was working at Gringotts during that time, but does anyone have any idea what she was actually doing? What kind of job would she likely be doing at the bank? Depending on the job, I'm tempted to set up an encounter between Harry and Fleur. Any ideas?

13. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

My guess is the Monica Lewinski to Griphook's Bill Clinton.

14. Hashasheen

kmfrank is writing a Harry Potter version of Count of Monte Cristo, and Gelgrin is Gellert Grindelwald. Involves Harry/Narcissa, Awesome! Harry and a believable rise in skill.

you are a sick man for defiling the Fleur.:)

Edit: Angel, I'm thinking curse-breaker, if only to add some skills. I'm thinking on a Harry/Fleur of my own, with a non BWL! Harry Potter, and it being an AU story of sorts. Plot bunny is still a bit weak though.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  15. Silens Cursor

No. Just no. That's just... no.

You see, I was thinking curse-breaker too for Fleur, which would add skills, but I've always had the impression (and maybe this was built from fanon) that curse-breaking requires a fair bit of training, and if I remember correctly, Fred definitely said that Fleur had gotten a job there, not that she was training.

I was thinking some sort of secretary-like position for the various humans that do work at Gringotts (probably in the curse-breaking and tax/finance divisions) - even the best start small. But to me, it doesn't really seem right. Any other ideas?

16. Hashasheen

What about being the link between Gringotts and the Ministry? PR representative? In charge of negotiations with wizading patriarchs, and using her veela power to go use?

17. Silens Cursor

PR sounds better, although one would have to wonder how on earth she got said position (an important and likely highly paid position) so quickly out of school. And with a foreign heritage, it raises even more questions how she got the job so quickly (within a month).

It also depends on how such relationships between Gringotts and the Ministry are described. I've always had a degree of difficulty with this particular relationship - is Gringotts dealt with through Ministry intermediaries like a foreign nation (goblins might well consider Gringotts sovereign territory for the 'goblin nation') or like a business? It also depends on how much the Ministry is involved in finance - do they use Gringotts as a 'government bank' or mint as well as a regular consumer bank? I'm open to suggestions and opinions here.

It also depends on how I want to characterize Fleur and use her in the fic, whether she's 'embraced' her Veela heritage (or simply can't control it) or whether she shys away from using her powers. I've seen both sides debated on this thread, and my personal leaning is more towards the fact that she is well-aware of (and has a degree of control) over her Veela powers, and that she will use them if necessary.

Thoughts, comments?

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

How far thou hast fallen, sweet H/Fleur thread. ;_;

19. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

This.

And this thread has gone on for way too long. H/F thread 2.0?

20. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

It was never revealed. All she was doing at Gringotts was improving her English. So I would guess something dealing with the public. Which leads away from the Cruse breaking idea. With her mad Veela!Skillz I would further think that she would be some sort of HR or PR type person. The Goblins wouldn't trust her with a teller position or the handling of any type of money.