1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Don_Macas

Don_Macas First Year

I thought it was a good chapter, nice interaction between HJ and Fleur and I enjoyed HJ putting the volture bitch down but I agree with jon it was missing something.

I especially looked forward to the hat's comments on HJ's new relationship but whatever, I know the hat will probably say something to bring down HJ from his Fleur induced high

2. MonCappy

MonCappy Fifth Year

I liked this chapter. My favorite scenes were the sacking of Snivellous and verbal smackdown of Augusta Longbottom.

3. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Err... mistake:
    I amy be wrong, but shouldn't the bolded word be put between the bolded > <?

4. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Meh, I know he's DLP's least favorite character along with Ginny, but I felt myself feeling sympathetic for Snape in this chapter. Did you have him sacked just so you could introduce Slughorn? I hope there is a reason, and not just so everyone could circle jerk over how evil and worthless Snape is.

I also felt that HJ was pretty immature in the way he handled the situation all around. For all the supposed wisdom and experience he received from James, he still acts like a petulant brat when it comes to Snape.

5. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I didn't really feel bad for Snape since this Snape is made out to be such a dick, however it can get tiring at times to have the typical evil!Snape. I would like to point out that both HP and JP were petulant brats when it came to Snape, so I don't really see why HJ wouldn't be.

6. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Snape was the direct cause of James and Lilys death and Harrys fucked up life.

So yeah, no suprise he wants to fuck Snape over.

7. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I liked this chapter.

I love this story, not for the action or for the surprises, but for the interaction.

I read Lie because of the subtle interactions of the characters, the way Fleur looks at Harry, Dumbledore's going from being the sweet old man to the wizard that defeated Grindlewald in a single breath. So often I read fics that have a great plot, but the characters feel written and just... fake.

The characters in Lie seem possible to me because they have flaws, weaknesses, and things that just irritate them. They don't talk to each other as if their every word is scripted and each one knows what the other is going to say next. It's not what you write that makes characters human, its the way its written.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  8. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

By misfortune, not malicious intent. He didn't know who the prophecy was referring to at first, but when he realized that it was HP, he immediately went to DD and tried to atone for his crime. It was unfortunate no doubt, but I don't see how else he could have responded in that situation. It seems pretty likely that Voldemort would have found out about the prophecy eventually, and if he knew that Snape witheld such crucial information, he probably would have been killed like Regulus. He beat himself up over this right up until his death. I think he punished himself more than enough for his actions, both with his early death and the miserable life he led until then.

Contrast that with Sirius' attempt at sending Snape to his death (if it wasn't for JP), doing what Snape did doesn't seem nearly so bad, even if the end result was the deaths of JP and LE. Certainly not worth holding a grudge for years and years after the event transpired. There comes a time where you have to let go. Even canon!HP forgave Snape at the end of DH, and he's not nearly as intelligent and experienced as HJ.

9. pnub

pnub First Year

In the Lie universe I find it hard to feel any sympathy for Snape on either account. Firstly I’m fairly sure that it’s been explained that he only went to DD because he was compelled to by the life debt he had in regards to JP not of his own free choice. I find it hard to find any sympathy for someone who only acted because they were compelled to.

As for why Sirius attempted to send Snape to his death that was in direct response to the whole Sarah Underhill situation. Snape used polyjuice potions to become Sirius so he could have sex with several girls, resulting in Sarah being impregnated. Also you could add the fact that Snape is more than likely responsible for her death either directly or indirectly seeing just 3 days after graduation her and her entire family was slaughtered.

On top of that you have his constant vendetta against HJ throughout the story which came to a head with the incident on the boat which could have resulted in HJ's death in the same way as Sirius could have been caused Snapes death. So I think HJ has more than enough reasons to hold a grudge against Snape.

10. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That argument never sat right with me. If Snape was ever really good, then he wouldn't have reported to Voldemort about a prophesy directly related to his downfall.

Here's how it went down: Snape was quite cool with fucking over the entire wizarding world, to the point of reporting to his psycho of a boss what he knew about the specific one who could kill him. Then he finds out that Harry is a potential for the prophesy. This doesn't bother him in the slightest. What does, however, is that Voldemort isn't exactly the most surgical of killers (not to mention Lily being a mudblood) so now he's upset that the girl he's still sporting a stiffy for after all these years is gonna end up on the wrong side of dead.

Which is justified, because it happens.

If Snape had any small amount of shame, or any real idea of love, he wouldnt have dared look at Lily's son, let alone go out of his way time and time again to humiliate the boy. And it never was a question of 'keeping up his role as a spy' (not what your arguing, but it is the number one arguement of choice for the redeemers) because if the goal was to convince Voldemort that he'd convinced Dumbledore he'd been redeemed, then why would he not be a decent person where Harry was concerned? That, and he's genuine in his dislike of Harry, and takes a clear delight knocking down an eleven year old boy...

So yes, malicious intent. Malicious intent that backfired superbly in regards to his stalker tendencies, but malicious intent nonetheless. And even, even in the case that a third party deduces otherwise, it's no stretch at all to see why Harry would want to see him taken down by any means possible.

11. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

Also I'd like to add that Canon!Harry is a pussy. He named his son after two people that made his life a living hell, when he should've been pissing on their graves. Hell Snape is directly related to a lot of the shit that got piled on his lap. Voldemort knowing the prophecy, him living with the Dursley's, him still living with the Dursley's instead of Sirius, and Sirius's death (you can't say he didn't take his sweet time contacting the order when you have Harry's group flying on Thestrals to London from Scotland, looking thru the DoM, and a running battle with DE's before the Order actually gets there to help the kids). Also like to put in that Albus was complicent with some of that stuff.

JK just had him name his kid after them to say "Hey they actually weren't that bad of guys." But when you look at their deeds, they were just as responsible as Voldemort for how shitty Harry's life was throughout his childhood.

12. loWall

loWall Second Year

Much as I'm not fond of the way HBP's and DH's plot, i think the theme that JK wanted to display in the end is forgiveness. Maybe its pussy behavior to you, but I think HP in the end saw the goodness in their actions and chose to honor them the way he did.

13. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

When did this become a Snape character discussion thread ?

Good chapter, loved the H/F interaction, and HJ putting Mama Longbottom down hard.

Someone above mentioned that, and they were right, it doesn't work. You'd have to replace it with "mon chéri" (my dear) or "chéri" (darling/honey/love/random endearing term).
    "Chéri" is better, because "mon chéri" is something a mother could say, and "chéri" is more adapted to lovers.

14. Erotic Adventures of S

I fully agree Snape is a cunt.

But Dumbledore was a saint. If he had done things differently at all Harry would either be dead or in a world of pain. He leed Harry to the path that was ultimatly the best for him and everyone.

15. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

No, he didn't. The Deathly Hallows Wand itself might have led to what you claim happened in the end, but Dumbledore in no part planned for, or knew what was going to happen, and assumed that the most likely course of events would result in Harry dying (as in permanently dead, and not coming back except maybe as a ghost or a zombie).

16. Erotic Adventures of S

Dumbledore knew Harry and voldemort were connected on such a deep level.

He knew that the only way for Voldemort to ever truely be killed was for the Horcrux with in Harry to also die.

He knew that if Harry willingly gave himself up the loveshield may reform.

The absolute final battle where the wand back fired, yeah that was dumb luck. But the rest of it, including the bit where Voldemort could not firectly cause harm to anyone due to Harrys sacrifice was all Dumbledore.

17. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    But my question is then, if the wand backfiring was dumb luck, how didd Dumbledore think Harry would beat Voldemort?

18. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

With the power of love of course.

Anyway, the chapter was good but I didnt like the Harry/Fleur interaction. Up until they got together it was all flirting and competing, now it just seems forced.

But Snape was saked, so it`s all good.

19. Erotic Adventures of S

Doesnt really matter, Voldemort couldnt hurt Harry or anyone else really so Harry could of walked up to him and kicked him in the nuts till he died.

20. Portus

Portus Heir

Ain't that the muthafuckin' truth. Snape in TLIL and in canon is a petty bastard. He and those who worship his greasy ass may say he treated HP like shit to "keep up appearances" but we all know that's bullshit, pure and simple. HJ remembers the Sarah Underhill business, it being important enough that HJ makes the buttons for everyone to wear.

JKR may have been aiming for the forgiveness angle, but Harry Potter ain't Jesus, you know. There's plenty to be said for accepting what happened and that there were more than enough mistakes to go around (Snape, D'dore, Harry and Sirius all made them, as well as Lupin and yes, the Potters themselves), but JKR naming Harry's kid Albus Severus is the writing equivalent of Fonzy jumping the damn shark. It's saccharine and contrived and an attempt to make the fangirls go, "awww." Nothing more, nothing less.

Dumbledore and Snape are both very complex characters in canon, and while D'dore was faced with a "Sophie's choice"-type dilemma with Harry, Snape actually asked LV to spare Lily, but didn't give a damn for Harry or James, and even D'dore saw that sick viewpoint and called Snape on it in Snape's memories. Sure, he wanted LV to lose, eventually, but he was an asshole to the last.