1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Well golly you're right: as long as Snape is sorry about the whole thing then I don't see why Harry should be so upset that he grew up without parents. And AFAIK, Lily and James never called For Keepsies/No Takebacks so why should Snape be held accountable for stuff he did as a Death Eater if he later changed his mind?

2. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I've actually had some people commenting on Snape other than here. Seems like I hit a sore point with people. It's always been said that Snape has a blind spot when it comes to Harry or James Potter.

What if the reverse is also true? Certainly, HJ has enough reason to hate Snape. He knows all of Snape's little dark secrets now and why Sirius tried to off him. HJ holds Snape as responsible as Pettigrew for James and Lily being killed.

In TFtCD - Snape was evil by his own choice.
    In Bungle/TML - Snape and Harry are gradually building up respect for each other knowing they'll have to fight both Dumbledore and Voldemort.
    In Lie - HJ backed Dumbledore into a corner - "him or me" make a choice knowing full well who Dumbledore would pick.

HJ doesn't give a shit about whether Snape was really "good" or not. Fuck him! He should either be dead or in Azkaban and in HJ's eyes, he only went to Dumbledore because the Potter's were now entwined in the prophecy and his debt forced the bastard into action. Maybe Snape wanted to be his canon-like goodness. HJ removed that choice by getting Snape kicked to the curb.

One could say that in canon he was willing to feed Sirius to the Dementors because he thought Black was to blame for Lily's death. I would buy that through the end of book 5, but at the beginning of book 6 he has Pettigrew as a house servant and does nothing other than petty humiliation to Peter.

A Snape with balls would have imperioed Peter and had him kill Bella when she showed up at Spinner's end. He would then dispatch Peter and perhaps even Narcissa.

"Milord, it had to be done. Pettigrew was a proven traitor and a liability. I believe the debt he owed to the Potter boy required he avenge Black's death at the hands of Bellatrix."

It would have gotten rid of two people close to Voldemort, removed a thorn in his side (Bella), avenged his beloved Lily, and improved his status in the Inner Circle.

That whole, "He was the bravest man I ever knew" thing is a festering boil on the ass of this series. Snape was a psychopath.

Oh well, enough canon for today. If canon had been better, I wouldn't be writing fanfics.

I'm outlining chapter 22 today. I expect it to be written sometime next week. Thanks for the corrections both here and in the reviews. I'll incorporate them at some point.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

But he is! That's the entire point, of what I remember. He went into the forest willingly, in the certain knowledge that he would die, he went to sacrifice himself -- and that is why he survived, because he had accepted that he would die. It's an ending full of morals, and religious and ...

Anyway. A decent chapter, kept me entertained. What I'm wondering now, after the ending with Pettigrew ... is there going to be a big finale (apart from the Tournament, I mean)? I can't quite remember if Voldemort here has/had some sort of scheme going on ... sure sign that I have to re-read it, actually :?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

The fuck? I've never heard of this. I do not remember reading anything about this in the books.

That's about as canon as Dumbledore being gay and the sealed room in DoM containing a fountain of love.

5. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    That's probably because it wasn't in the books. It's fanon.

6. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's canon for "The Lie I've Lived," actually.

7. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It's from this fic, though. EDIT: Nukular is quick on the draw.

So pnub was right, even if he should have been more clear. Unless he was generalizing to all of HP fandom.

In general, Snape was, as the Irish say, a fuckin' cunt. Sirius tried to kill him because of his cuntishness. Which, in my opinion, was a valid reason.

Some kids don't like that whole, "Kill your enemies" attitude, though, and want a better reason for Sirius' behavior when none exists.

Good chap, jbern, I'm glad Harry/Fleur is finally happening; I'd been waiting a while for the promised pairing, but I think you portrayed the buildup of the relationship rather well.

8. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It's from Jim's fic, not canon. In The Lie I've Lived, Snape impersonated Sirius to sleep with Sarah. Harry changed the "support Cedric Diggory" badges to flash "Who was Sarah Underhill?", but we didn't hear what happened to that plotline. It wasn't even mentioned that Dumbledore had to smooth things over (again) to keep his pet DE.

Edit: Didn't realize I'm 20 minutes late. Anyway, my problem with Sirius' attempt to feed Snape to Remus was that if Remus had eaten Snape he would have been put down as a dangerous animal.

9. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Nice Chappy, Jim. Nothing to say really.

REGARDING SNAPE:

Dude's an ass. I'll buy the only thing he cared about was Lily, but if that's so then he was cool with giving it all up to Voldemort for power until HE was personally affected. What a self-centered dick!

And his treatment of Harry? Bah. He could have played it Slytherin cool (Blaise Zabini style, and claimed to be observing him.) (If he wanted to be really cool he could have actually TAUGHT HIM SHIT AS A MENTOR. How? He just tells Voldemort that he was studying and shaping the wizard who brought him down, and then give him minor tidbits that they could have released at their (Snape, Harry, Dumbledore's) own pace, and been ahead of the curve. (e.g. "Harry is a parselmouth." "Harry has a powerful patronus," etc. Garbage info.)

Dumbledore is responsible for Harry's sacrifice. He encouraged it, glorified sacrifice (Death is next great adventure), rewarded it (Chamber of Secrets, Stone, Lake with Gabrielle, etc.) He made sure Harry knew it was his destiny to face Voldemort (Wand at Ollivander's, End of book chats regarding Harry's nature ("it is the choices we make etc."), Prophecy, taking him on Horcrux hunt and Riddle history. He made sure Harry knew he had a duty. (Probably best thing, as it is way fucking hard to get up to Voldemort in magic and Harry could have used 50 timeturners for 50 years, and he still probably wouldn't have been good enough (Albus wasn't with Elder Wand in OotP.))

Someone posted before regarding the point of the sacrifice: The point of it was that Voldemort could no longer do harm to world, and was vulnerable. Leaving either A.) Sack up and stop being maniac, or B.) Be killed by someone.

Elder Wand was a fluke. But I wonder if Voldemort could have directly harmed ANYBODY as Canon presents things at that moment....

I'm way off topic. Point is Jim's characterization of Snape is right. Guy's a sadistic coward who could do grand gestures of courage (Kill Albus, Dying for Lily, Tracking and getting Harry Gryffindor's sword), but couldn't manage to lead a daily life of integrity (Also possible while keeping spy status.) Fuck him. BTW, notice how any real redeeming qualities of Snape all were justified and revealed in last two books? Because he was too big an ass before with no good qualities.

I also think its real good Lily's dead, as JK could never portray the fairy-tale BS mojo she had that got both Snape, and James hooked on her FOR YEARS!!! (While she was cool to both.) In canon there's really very little on Lily. We only hear of her through other people and a bit of memory.

10. Don_Macas

Don_Macas First Year

which is why Rowling is an idiot and books 6 and 7 are bullshit

11. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Meh, Kill them all and let the big guy upstairs sort it out.

:eek: How is it in that less than half a post, you've managed to make the best Snape-fic possible? Jbern, you are truly a god among fanfic authors.

12. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

I totaly agree.

13. Syrosaka

Syrosaka Fifth Year

Just read the latest chapter. Cliff hangers are a bitch haha. I like the way you worked it out though. Can't wait for the next chapter.

14. Capucine

Capucine First Year DLP Supporter

I'm liking the interaction between Fleur and Harry, looks like a good solid start to a relationship. As an added bonus it seems quite realistic too. What I'm really looking forward to is more of the Alice possibly recovering plot. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

15. Syrosaka

Syrosaka Fifth Year

looks that way. I'm wondering how Fleur will react to HJ's little secret though, after talking to Harry and her father about how she's tired of the older men.

Curious about Granger's reaction too, but I'm not sure it's gonna play as big of a role as Fleur's.

16. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

Hermione's reaction is that of an overprotective friend. She knows next to nothing about Fleur personally, and her only interactions with her has been when she told her about Bill.

She probably doesn't know that HJ has a good rappart with the other champions (besides Krum) because when she and HJ get together they talk about inane stuff. Stuff that makes him feel like Harry more than James. Now that he isn't feeling disenfranchised with her he's going back to the more personal stuff that he's done for the past 3 years. Hence his going to tell her about the memories, which is his second biggest secret.

This Hermione is definately the closest Canon representation that Jim has done. And this is my favorite one too. The bossiness is there (Common Room Now), but you see that the interactions between the two of them are about the same as his and Sirius's in closeness, just different subjects.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  17. Syrosaka

Syrosaka Fifth Year

Lots of very good points.
    What do you think about the Alice Longbottom subplot? Do you see Nev becoming more of a strong, independent character playing a larger part in the plot? Or do you think he'll more or less fade out to be with his mother?

I'm pretty sure Alice herself will play a decent part, considering James' memories of her adequacy as a witch. (Augusta needs to burn in hell by the way. Stupid bitch.)

Jim, if you read this, I'm looking forward to however you work this out. This is probably the best version of an independent Harry that I've seen so far. Keep up the good work.

18. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Alice, if she has a larger role at all, will be in the sequel. I don't plan to get too involved in the side plots as this one starts moving towards conclusion.

19. Syrosaka

Syrosaka Fifth Year

Oh I didn't know there would be a sequel. Now I'm really curious.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just wonder where you will take it, too be honest. This one has really just been completely based on Fleur + the triwizard tournament. I can't really see what else you could use to interest us.

However, with the success of TML, I don't really feel like I have too much to worry about. :p