1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of War 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^ This
    I didnt even bother fucking with cover once I had them in Terminator, I just crushed everything in sight and on the off chance I ran into a really bad situation stimpaks, the roasarius shield, and the banner heal could cover me in any situation I ran into. Except for the Avatar, If I hadn't found that it wouldnt move beyond the arena I would have been fucked. It crushed my squads in moments.

2. aledeth

aledeth First Year

Cyrus is the single most awesome character in single player once you get his "Can use special abilities while Invisible" skill. I don't think I could possible beat it on Captain without him.

Blind Grenade into a big crowd, then Demo-Pack. They can't move for shit, and then they all die. Works best on Tyranids (especially the Warriors and Zoanthropes for that wonderful extra blast of damage to the mooks around them), but it's also wonderful for dealing with those goddamn Eldar weapon platforms and Seer Councils. If you feel extra ballsy. go set up a Remote-Det Pack in the middle of the blinded group. The blast on those things is huge. At least double the radius of a regular det pack, and since all the enemies are blind, they can't shoot you even if you get revealed from getting so close. Make sure to back off before blowing it, as you can kill yourself with the blast.

Also, the Immolate ability that Cyrus gets with Flamers is INCREDIBLE. DoT on a big area that kills infantry fast as hell, and the cooldown on the skill is quick enough that you could be burning constantly, if there wasn't a bug that makes him unable to use other abilities after he burns until he moves.
    Usable while cloaked too.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  3. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

I agree on the cyrus bit, one of my favorite squads because of his useful abilities. Get him a good sniper rifle and high powered shot takes down most medium sized mobs in one go (very nice against tyranids). I've never had any problems with avitus, when I place him I make sure to hold down the right mouse button so I can change his angle and he always goes to the assigned cover. Anybody else turn their commander into a pure melee/hp juggernaut?

As for multiplayer I prefer to move around between the four races and 3 heroes per. I've had the most success with the hive tyrant and the ravener alpha. My third best is the farseer, she's a great buffer if you get her all the right wargear.

Live: AmanthorosDarje
    Steam: Darthjodadda

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. aledeth

aledeth First Year

There's an armor and an accessory that when used together give over 50% Melee damage resistance. I could actually tank the Avatar using that set-up along with the healing banner.

Hell, I find my commander to be much more durable when he isn't using Terminator Armor than when he is. It's kinda annoying.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

6. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Does anyone else wish that there was a campaign for the other races? While the Space Marine campaign was damn good, it kinda loses some of its luster after the second run through.

7. Midknight

Needs that yeah. I dunno why, but I cbf to mess with this game anymore. I may try to force myself to play it this weekend.

I'm finding it isn't so much tactical as it is still just sheer bumrushing at the section I'm in. I click around like a spaz throwing grenades, and using the special powers, no real planning involved.

8. Midknight

I beat it the other day. I don't really see what the big deal is at all. I wound up getting bogged down forever doing the defend missions before I realized that they weren't really important at all. There's only what, like 6 or 7 map types, forget the actual number, desert town, jungle, futuristic city, normal city with the area, and mountains? Ah, and then the few Tyranid specific maps.

Not a lot of maps=( All maps I beat save for maybe two in under 7 minutes easy as hell. Started over, didn't use cover once, just bumrushed everything. Once I figured out what I was supposed to be doing, I ignored the defend missions, and flew the the game so fast I was stunned it was so short.

The Avatar gave me some issues, but once I found out you could actually revive the Dreadnaught once he went down, without the Rites of Repair, and then let him self repair, it was cake.

SP is a joke imho, it's good graphically, but the maps are so short and lack ever needing to use tactics once you get even halfway decent armor. Once I got Avitus leveled enough to not have to setup his gun, and Thaddeus and me good chainswords, we never had a problem with anything. Once the Dradnaught shows up, you can arm him with a game breaking gun that lets him sweep in a nice arc in front of him, heavily damaging everything. Then you just upgrade his skills to make the bullets explosive, and you're on easy mode.

MP is a joke because of the small maps, which are clearly designed with the Xbox in mind. I liked the layout of it, I liked the skills, and the resource points. It's ruined by pitifully small mapsizes. I'd of been happy if more of the game had been like MP.

I don't feel like I wasted time playing a bad game, I think it was a decent game, but it could of been so much more with bigger maps, and a bit more effort. I am interested as hell at playing the DoW1 series now though, the story, and backstory effort that went into this game alone, is astoundingly impressive.