1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Wired for the Task by Kensington - T

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Mindless, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Title: Wired for the Task
    Author: Kensington
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry/Susan
    Words: 6,048
    Published: September 6, 2008

Summary: Post HBP. Harry is preparing to destroy the remaining Horcruxes. Susan shows up on his doorstep. Oneshot.

Linked.

Kens writes so damn good fics, and this one is no exception. It's a mildly fluffy oneshot, but that's exactly what it should be: the story is about Harry/Susan, and Kens doesn't make it some long, drawn-out affair which bogs down and gets boring. As usual, summary's a bit horrific, but they never do the story justice. 5/5 from me.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 18, 2012
    Checked By Sorrows: 03/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I suppose it would be tacky to vote on my own story, so I'll refrain from now. Maybe I'll edit a vote in later.

But seriously, my summaries have improved since I wrote this. It's like I took a seminar and learned how to write a damn summary. Perhaps one day I'll go back and improve the summary for this and Doorway to Dawn.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  3. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

I'm not sure what to think about this story.
    On one hand it is an enjoyable read, although there is not so much of a romance IMO.
    On the other we've got here a "out of fucking nowhere it's Dav... erm... Susan Bones" situation...

4. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

It was alright. Certainly well-written I guess, but nothing ground breaking.

3.5/5

5. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

QFT.

It wasn't a chore to read it, but it wasn't anything exceptional. Personally, I don't see it in The Library. 3/5

6. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Well I enjoyed it quite a lot, it was fairly ground-breaking for me, I haven't read anything in this vein at all. This is probably due to my inexperience in post HBP fanfiction.

4/5 because I liked it, without finding it absolutely astounding.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as a one shot though, in my mind it fits the description of ficlet quite well.

7. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

I agree. Well-written, but not extra-ordinary. 3/5

8. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What everyone above me said.

3.5/5

9. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'd rather you updated DtD.:)

10. Kensington

It's coming, it's coming.

I have finals in a few weeks, so if I release anything this month it'll be Segue Ch. 2. However, I then have nearly three weeks to write virtually nonstop. A revised/completed DtD Ch. 5 should hopefully be popping up in the WBA forums then.

11. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

*cries tears of joy* I'm so happy.....

12. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it deserves to be in the library. It's what I wanted after reading the summary -crappy as it may be- and that's never a bad thing. Then again, it really wasn't anything original. I'd have to give it around a 3.5/5, rounded up to a four.

13. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

The word "fangirl" seems too informal and doesn't fit the rest of the language. The beginning scenes are excellent where she convinces him to tag along. The story contains surprisingly little detail about important events during their time together you'd expect. I guess destroying the horcruxes is in book 7, but it feels odd to leave them out. If you filled those parts in, I'd give it a 5. Believable pairing though.
    4/5

14. Kensington

Eh, I realize I could have expanded the story, but I felt no inclination to do so. I just wanted to write some Harry/Susan, since I think she's a character with a lot of potential who is woefully underdeveloped. Adding in the details of a Horcrux hunt, while making for a much more developed plot, seemed somewhat boring to me.

There are numerous stories (albeit almost all starring Ginny or Hermione) out there that in detail will display an invigorating Horcrux hunt. I just didn't want to write one.

Conclusion: I'd like to see more well written Harry/Susan stories. Harry/Tonks and Harry/Slytherin (they're all virtually OC's so they're pretty interchangeable) would also be appreciated.

15. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Liked it, didn't find it groundbreaking or anything however. I'd give it a 3.5/5 just because it was a fun way to kill some time. I'll round up to 4 for voting though since I do think it belongs in the library.

16. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Eh... To be honest this fic was so meh I forgot I'd finished reading it after abandoning halfway through last week. What it did, it did competently, though ultimately it was fairly unspectacular.

Not bad, but I'm not sure if its really great enough to be library worthy. I'd give it a 2.5/5 rounded up to a 3/5.

17. King Dimension

King Dimension First Year

it was alright. interesting duo. 3/5