1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Son of Suns Trilogy by blank101 - M - Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Palver, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Title: Into the Storm
    Author: blank101
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Suspense
    Chapters: 18
    Words: 144,932
    Updated: June 19, 2008
    Published: June 5, 2008

Summary: Part One of the Son of Suns Trilogy. An Alternative Universe which spins off from the end of The Empire Strikes Back, featuring all the main characters. When Luke and his companions are caught over Bespin and taken to Coruscant, Palpatine begins to systematically take apart Luke's life to create his new Sith, turning Luke against his allies, his father and his beliefs with devastating effect.

Link: http://www.alongtimeago.org/page17.htm
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4302076/1/Into_the_Storm

Title: In Shadows and Darkness
    Genre: Sci-Fi
    Chapters: 35
    Words: 253,633
    Updated: August 8, 2008
    Published: June 23, 2008

Summary: Part two of the Son of Suns Trilogy. Abandoned by the Alliance and claimed by the Emperor, Palpatine's new Sith is coming into his own. But as Luke Skywalker's former life is forced further from his grasp by the actions of friends and foes alike, he finds new agenda's turn old friendships into unaffordable liabilities

Link: http://www.alongtimeago.org/page22.htm
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4344112/1/In_Shadows_and_Darkness

Title: At the Brink of the Dawn and Darkness
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Drama
    Chapters: 49
    Words: 318,968
    Updated: February 11, 2011
    Published: September 5, 2008

Summary: Part three of the Son of Suns trilogy.
    A new Empire is emerging as a new Emperor takes center-stage, his contradictions dividing Alliance and Empire alike and pitching allies and enemies into a battle which will question every conviction, test every friendship and challenge every loyalty. And as it finally comes to pass, what price will the prophesy exact to fulfil its vision of the future – from the galaxy… and from the Son of Suns

Link: http://www.alongtimeago.org/page27.htm
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4520729/1/At_the_Brink_of_the_Dawn_and_the_Darkness

In my opinion this is the best Star Wars fanfiction, and one of the best in all fandom. Excellent quality, Dark Luke, incredible writing of characters, intricate plot, and so on..
    Suprisingly not so well known - because first two parts were posted very quickly, I suppose.

Definitely MUST READ!

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012
    Fixed some links.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Dryden

Dryden First Year

This fic is absolutely fantastic. And it's the first Star Wars fic i've ever read.

3. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

It's long, plot heavy, laden with characterization, and undeniably well written. The story features a clever and believable Luke being captured after the infamous scene on the skyplex, and then taken to Coruscant, where the long process of turning him begins.

Luke's character changes are well documented, but some might find the meat of this portion of the first arc redundant. It also goes into depth regarding Palpatine's motivations, showing how he values power, but at the same time holds a tiny sliver of fear concerning Luke's.

Don't expect copious amounts of action, at least not in the first arc. Overall, though, the story is written differently when compared to other fics, and not in a bad way. My advice is to try a few chapters and see what you think.

From me, a strong 4/5; it lacks that epic zing so few tales have.

4. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I've just finishing the first two parts, Into the Storm, and In Shadow and Darkness.

It's probably one of the best fanfiction I've read, ever. Yet it's also the first one that I'm reading from the Star Wars verse.

5/5, I strongly recommend this one even if you're not a big SW fan.

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I finished reading the 1st and am reading 2nd right now. I also give it a solid 5/5. It's a great series so far.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is great, really amazing. And a great update rate too. The character progression is staggering in its scope and plausibility. The Luke (and Mara) we're faced with in the third instalment are so very different to the start of the first, and yet never once do we feel that a jump has been made. It's a completely seamless progression.

I also loved the way the Empire is depicted.

Mara Jade is a great love interest, and the romance is done really well. Most romances become dull after they finally shack up and have sex, but the author manages to masterfully retain our interest in their relationship long after the UST - the driving force of most fictional relationships - is initially resolved.

The series' greatest weakness is also the source of its greatest strength, which is its pacing. It's a very slow going story. The first instalment is almost entirely characterisation. Hardly any action. There are times when one just wishes that the story would hurry up and get on with it while reading yet another conversation between Luke and Palpatine, but of course if this were to have happened then the seamless character progression mentioned above would not be so well done. Its the gradual progress which makes it so convincing, but also the gradual progress which at times leads the story dangerously close to boring.

Nevertheless, a truly great series, and I am eagerly waiting the next update.

5/5

Does anyone know of any other stories like this? Good ones, that is. Dark Luke stories focusing on the inner workings on the Empire and Luke's place in it. I've read Dynasty before, which is okay, but a bit fangirlish.

7. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Great story. Especially the Luke-Han Solo interaction.

But there's waaaayyyyy too much angst.

4.7/5

8. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well shit... this sure looks interesting, given that I'm not even a huge Starwars fan. I'd like to thank Sophie for pointing this out to me.

[​IMG]

10. Sophie

Sophie Denarii Host

Syaoran: You're welcome :D

The first installment is a bit slow at times. Not much action in there, but it'll keep you hooked anyway.

I was a bit irritated when the author always referred to Yoda's planet as "Degobah", but that's the only glaring flaw I've noticed. The grammar and spelling suck at times, but that's all the criticism there is.

The story, however, ROCKS. I've never read a book in the Star Wars franchise which could even hope to come near its quality. The characterisation is flawless, Luke's way to the Dark Side absolutely credible.

I started reading this story because it's Dark!Luke. As the plot progresses, however, and Palpatine really begins to employ more intense swaying methods (I don't want to say too much), I hoped that Luke wouldn't give in. Totally in vain, of course, but it's that morbid fascination of knowing exactly what will happen that makes for such an interesting read. Kind of like George Lucas did with the new trilogy, everybody knew that Anakin would become Vader but still watched the movies because they wanted to know how and why.

I was quite suspicious in the beginning whether I should read it at all - the first story only had 75 reviews. For the Potter fandom that's not much, but I guess different rules apply to other fandoms. It's definitely a must read, even for people who aren't that much into Star Wars.

A 6/5 from me, but since that's not possible with the rating system I settle for 5/5.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  11. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Awesome fic. I spent most of last week reading it, thanks to Palver's rec, and it has gotten me back in a fandom I had forgotten all about for 5 years.
    And for once, the romance is awesome enough that it hasn't gotten boring after a million pages, as Taure said.

5/5, definitely Myth status.

12. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Myth indeed. This is the only fic that I can honestly say has never disappointed me. Every chapter, while slow in pace, adds something important. The constant, and utterly believable, intrigue is written ridiculously well, and flows quite nicely with the action. It exemplifies the old saying that 'War is just another instrument of politics', in that every move, even in the heat of battle, is related to Luke's, or Palpatine's, schemes in one way or another.

A solid 5/5 from me.

13. Kyle_Dodge1

Kyle_Dodge1 DA Member

New Chapter.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    We've had several chapters now of quite obvious run-up to this event and now a large chapter of all talk. I'm getting rather bored.

15. Sophie

Sophie Denarii Host

Really? I thought this last chapter was brilliant. You don't usually see that much discussion of political topics or law in fanfiction. I loved it <3

16. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

This Trilogy is perhaps the best Dark!Luke series ever written!. The author's homepage shows some great excerpts from uncoming fics, I can't wait.

17. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

True, but Taure has a point. The change in pace was rather abrupt and annoying. From "ZOMG, they've got Luke! The end is nigh!!1!one!" to "Here's 5 - 10 thousand words detailing the intricacies of Republic/Imperial Law as it relates to Luke's dire situation... *snore*"

It was interesting stuff, to be fair, but after building up so much steam over the past few chapters, I actually felt a little cheated by the near complete absence of plot progression.

EDIT: New Chapter's up. Good stuff.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    God, how long is this captured!Luke subplot going to last? Get back to the real story already!

19. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I'm loving it, and it doesn't look like it'll end anytime soon, the author has a habit of stretching one or two scenes into a chapter instead of fast paced storytelling, which was fine when he updated every day. Maybe someone can convince this guy to write HP? His dark!Harry would be delicous, if angsty.

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    This is still updating, and still progressing beyond slowly.

Someone needs to tell this guy that you shouldn't stretch out your climax to the point that it begins to equal the entire rest of the story in length.

Am currently skipping whole chapters and just reading the end to see if any progress is actually made on the plot.