1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"OnLive" could threaten Xbox, PS3 and Wii

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by artenry, Mar 24, 2009.

1. artenry

artenry Guest

Linkage.

Long story short - a startup distribution called OnLive claims that PC users, regardless of the quality of their system, will be capable of streaming over the internetjust about any console game they want to play; Xbox, PS3, Wii, you name it.

Too good to be true?

There's lots more said in the article, but I just copy-pasted the more exciting bits.

Thoughts?

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Its gonna fail just like web-tv did.

3. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

This sounds absolutely impossible and full of bullshit.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

As soon as I saw "Web TV founder" I lol'd hard. Of all the people to partner up with...

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Wait, uh, I don't get it. This will allow you to play console games on your computer without the need for any of the consoles? The company will just stream the games from their servers? If so, how would this translate for the Wii with it's Wiimote? o_O

If my assumptions are right, how the fuck is that legal? Are they paying MS, Sony, and Nintendo for streaming the games?

Or is it that you have to own the game and the console in order to stream it... I am so confused.

6. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Third Year

They run the games off their server and all your computer has to do is send the input commands.

For a Wii all you would need is a box that streams video to your tv and interprets the inputs from your wiimote. However, I doubt Nintendo is going to allow anyone to copy this system, especially since they make a nice profit off of Wiis.

What they are aiming at is that you would be able to play games like Crysis without having a $1000 computer. You could likely play it on an ipod if this technology works like they want it to.

The biggest problem is going to come from input lag. If you have a 30 ping then it will take 30ms from the time you input your command till what actually shows up on your screen happens. You also have to consider that people are going to be saturating their connections streaming these videos and that will increase their ping even more.

Eventually this tech might work but I don't think it will today.

7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

You better believe this is going to be sued into a smoking crater if it turns out to be genuine. I'd be willing to bet, however, that this is just a publicity stunt and it'll turn out to only stream games from what few publishers will agree to sign up with them. Either that or it'll turn into a Steam clone.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone not in America won't be able to use this, due to ping and shit, as Tehan said.

I call bullshit, this would never work.

9. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Sree: OP's incorrect about console games. What On Live would be able to do is stream any PC game available on their service to your computer via a browser, or to your tv with a simple plug-in and play box.

However, as a number of people have pointed out, this is all going to be reliant on your internet connection. It doesn't matter how amazing the new compression codec the ON Live guy's have invented is, if you've got a shitty dsl connection you're not going to be able to run Crysis in 720p without significant slowdown. Also, the idea of having to pay for a subscription and then buy games is a bit off-putting, I'm leary enough about buying games of Steam.

This technology is about 5 years ahead of its time, they probably showed it off at GDC in the hopes that one of the publishers would buy them to speed along their own development of this type of technology. Who knows, we might see this in 2020 but I doubt it will be ready for 2010.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Aside from the OP being a douche, this Already exists.

AND ITS FREE. As opposed to a a subscription service, which OnLive will obviously be.

11. Maro

Maro Third Year

I think the distinction of the OnLive service is that the technology they use to transmit the game data is encoded in a totally new way. Supposedly they don't just send video data but rather something which the client end renders in real time, not just some standard compression technology. I also read somewhere that it's not going to be software based but hardware based- you buy something like a USB dongle and it does all the decoding on that. The algorithm development for this is meant to have been like five years in the making so I really doubt its just standard compression.

And I poked around their website and they already had some fairly major studios signed up for the service.

Edit: And that StreamMyGame service looks like it streams games from YOUR PC to your own console. Whilst that's pretty cool its an entirely different thing to OnLive...

12. MonCappy

MonCappy Fifth Year

I happen to think this OnLive service will crash and burn.

13. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

A 1mb client will not be doing any sort of real rendering.

This will fail spectacularly. I have a fucking epic connection (can easily pull 70mbit) and this will fail. Latencies are too high, data too much. I'll spend the money for a Wii or a 360 if I want to play something on one.

*swing* .......hit......... GAME OVER.

You can stream 720p, 1080p, etc., but it doesn't mean that you can provide a good experience.

Also? When my internet connection is out, that's generally when I want to play. Good luck to them.

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It is. And its not entirely different. Its the same thing they're offering. Only I have to have the shit myself. And the difference from playing what I want from my computer somewhere else, as opposed to having a choice of shit I'll likely never play?

Nothing really, except I don't have to pay more than the price of the game.

OnLive will flop.