1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Reminds me eerily of Kill Bill.
    But other than that, awsome chapter, though I was hoping to see what became of his parents an brother.

2. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I like where you are going with this story, at first I had no idea what was going on, and I regret not finishing this story until now.

My apologies for any earlier comments.

3. Grautry

Grautry First Year

Heh, same.

A couple of suggestions as far as spelling/stuff goes.

'For a millennium' or 'for millennia' probably sounds better. Perhaps 'for over a millennium' could work too.

Rogue or rouge?

'Nothing will bite you'. Unless it was Aurora twisting words.

'To do anything else', or perhaps 'to present any other'.

'don't forget them' perhaps?

'that it should be illegal'

'if I offended you' would probably sound better.

Overall, a cool chapter but it kind of feels a bit filler-ish, despite the revelation that Aurora can command wizardry.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, the revelation that Aurora could use HP magic was the main substance of this chapter. Unfortunately I think we'd all guessed this already, which took something away from it.

Still, good chapter. Harry's looking pretty fucked over at the moment. I guess the one advantage he still maintains over Aurora is that HP magic is something that takes years to master, and that's even with people teaching you and with many spells discovered. Aurora has to work it all out from the base on her own.

Learning to use the power of Summer within him would also even the balance out a bit.

I felt that Harry should have done better against the Jade Court vampires, but this might be me still clinging on to my view that HP magic should wtfpwn most non-godlike stuff in Dresdenverse.

5. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Thanks Grautry for the editing.

I didn't realize till this morning that the scene with Titania was kinda Kill Bill. I would change it but I like that scene way too much now. I was torn between Harry kicking vampire ass or him getting beaten. I went with beaten as it furthered the plot in a direction I needed it to go in. Let's just say next time he'll be better prepared.

Harry weilding Summer fire and Dresden using Hellfire makes me smile.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  6. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

It's odd that Aurora could cast a spell regarded as one of the most powerful and darkest curses... The AK takes hate, intent, e.t.c.... but also -proficiency in magic.- Aurora could summon up the hate, sure, but does she know TO bring up hate??

And if Aurora has enough of Harry's magic to cast the AK, shouldn't Harry have a crapload of power/control over HER power?

I mean... even ignoring the skill and mastery required for using HP magic (and Aurora did NOT spend three years experimenting; she only confirmed her suspicions when she finally cast the spell...) if the magic is split in half... does that leave 'enough' power or essential magic to power something like the AK, and so easily? It's likely LESS than a purely equal split, but that just makes it even more improbable to have the mojo for the spell...

Some more things... Even assuming Aurora has access to the power. It doesn't mean she automatically has limited HPWizard-type power; she just has some of the energy of the HP world. That energy doesn't just manifest itself as the HP-standard charms, curses, hexes, e.t.c.... there's animal transformations, shape-shifting, teleportation, Legilimency/Occlumency, prophesy... magical creatures, ghosts...

The last time something like this happened, Harry gained the ability to talk to snakes. NOT to cast the AK, or Tom's memories, or power or skills, or some innate talent for making Horcruxes. Parseltongue.

Too, Aurora stole Harry's wand. The two of them may be linked, but that link would more imply that if they went head-to-head there would be weird.. feedbacks? She shouldn't have so easy of a time using a wand. Really, sparks is what I was expecting Aurora to manage...

Still more questions...

If Aurora uses Harry's power... shouldn't that leave HER more open to HIS influence? (Since Harry feared and avoided using his Summer portion...)

Dreams. Mental connections. Harry had promonitions of Voldemort's, well, plans. Especially when Voldemort was feeling strong emotions. But why hasn't there been any mention of any dreams, premonitions, feelings, anything? Something I'd like to see; Harry besting Aurora by taking advantage of this link... Harry went through this with Voldemort, while Aurora probably doesn't even know that there WOULD be a mental connection -as well-. DV magic allows for similar sorts of mental links, something like Legilimency/Occlumency, and it's easier with those closer to you. So Aurora would be aware that there is a link, but would she be aware of the unique, er, flavor of the HP version of such connections? Doubtful...While Harry should know enough to block off and hide the true extent of the link, and keep Aurora in ignorance.

A few final things. The Vampires. Aurora took credit for helping and healing Harry... but wasn't she also the one responsible for getting him hurt in the first place? I mean... she let the Vampires in, and lowered Harry's defenses! And how could the Vampires have found out which wizard it was, AND located him?

We know what happened to the power of the Summer Knight in the titular book. But this time, there is -already- someone who has a portion of Summer power (the Summer Lady's in fact) here... Gulp. And are the REASONS the same for this? GAH! Maybe it's just me, but after knowing how Summer Knight ended, I'm hoping this AU will have a far brighter ending...

7. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I think you over-estimate the power of the Killing curse.

I mean, even if we're taking a "magic is energy" view, I'd still say that no single spell can use up any significant amount of this energy as a proportion of the total power a wizard has available to him.

In the books wizards cast spells over and over again with no sign of any strain or loss of energy.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  8. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

True, but concerning the 'magical reserve' I'm not thinking of it being depleted so much as... not having enough pre-requisite amount of HP magic.

She could keep casting all she wants, until she needs food/sleep/rest e.t.c., but it should be low-end magic. Limit what she could do. It's not being able to do everything Harry could, only not as good, weaker... some things would make sense to be incapable of.

Remember how (impostor) Moody told the Defense class that they could all take out their wands, aim at him, say the AK words and all that'd happen i Moody might bleed a little bit?

Or about Harry learning the Patronus charm, which was supposed to be a very advanced spell that most regular wizards wouldn't pull off?

Wizards do get tired and fatigued from constantly casting spells. Constant concentration. Focusing of will.

Finally... the Sidhe ARE different from humans... Can they love? Hate? Love and hate are said to be different extremes of passion... Does Aurora possess the necessary huma qualities to pull off all the same spells HP wizards could?

Aargh, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to manage all of this...

9. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

One thing I love, absolutely love about this fic is that for all the power of the fae Harry holds two words over them. Avada Kedavra, ah tis a beautiful thing.

Brilliant manipulation is brilliant, we (yes the royal we) are amused and entertained by the continuing excellence of this fic.

10. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Yeah, this had me thinking too. Could Harry's magic have unexpected consequences for Aurora? Could she start experiencing human emotions? Or rather, does she now have some humanity within her? This really could throw a monkey wrench in Aurora's plans if she were to start feeling.

11. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Aurora already has feelings, thats why she started that war with the winter court in Canon, if anything she cares too much but has some issues to work out. I consider her to be on the level of Lily (the next Summer lady) in terms of emotions.

If she started to have feelings, nothing would really change. If anything she will just start showing more of those feelings. Or maybe she might be less likely to use HP.

12. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

You're definitely on the right track. So is Zero.

I know this chapter seemed sorta filler-ish, but next chapter is going to be awesome. Mab, Dresden, Elaine, Harry, Aurora, and another surprise guest. I'm thinking of titling it Baby, It's Cold Outside for the obvious Winter segment.

13. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Looking forward to more of Dresden. Should be awesome, especially if he finds out about Harry being the Summer Lady's Consort. He would have to completely re-evaluate his opinion of him.

And if Dresden tries to kill Aurora in this version too, will we end up with a Harry vs. Harry showdown?

14. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

The various times when Harry muses about the possibility of a conspiracy, and comes up with "Black Council" throughout the series... He basically calls into question the origin of every major event in each of the books--including the Summer Knight... Think about it; a war between the Faerie Courts when the White Council needs safe passage through the Nevernever? Much like Harry and Morgan's suspicions about the vicious attack during Dead Beat distracting the White Council from Halloween at Chicago...

At the end of Summer Knight, Aurora was acting crazy. Not just angered or exasperated, but enraged and insane...

And if Aurora was up to the same thing in Awaken Sleeper, why did she call Harry back? With the bit of Summer in Harry, if she's not careful HARRY might get the power... or if she hoped to get the rest of his HP-magic... gaahhh... Will have to wait and see.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

...Now i'm getting Amorous!Aurora.

Digit sucking anyone? :awesome

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Another great update, and great update speed too. Harry using Summer power was good: powerful, but not godlike.

It'll be interesting to see just "how much" Summer power he has, in comparison to other powerful Summer Fae. I also suppose that he'll slowly learn to use it in more sophisticated ways as time goes on. Assuming that Aurora doesn't die or even if Aurora dies he keeps the power.

What little of Dresden we saw was great, and spot on. It's very interesting reading about him from another character's point of view.

When they visited Mab and she got angry, I was expecting Harry to daringly try to slip her an AK, lol.

17. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Wait, what if Aurora dies and he's the closest Summer vessel? I just can't imagine Harry being the Summer Lady.

18. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

I was thinking the same thing. He would be the first Summer Lord. That would be awesome.

Anyways I loved this chapter. Although Harry is like 25 years old and has been through so much I can't see him staying this pathetic around James Potter. Once you've been through so much you end up getting fed up. This latest episode by James Potter threatening to kill Harry has got to be the last straw for Harry. If James ever wants forgiveness in the future he should be the one doing a lot of apologizing.

19. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I am surprised James hasn't made a move yet, you would think he would want his son back ASAP. Great chapter with the teleportation out of the Winter court, was hoping to see some HP magic.

As for HP being the summer lady? Why would you kill off Aurora, she seems like the closest thing to a good Fae, as you will mostly likely get.

20. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

You do realize that in Dresden canon(and I assume here) she is behind the whole plot, right?