1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended fanfiction - From barely readable to almost good

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ip82, Jan 14, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I stand corrected. It was a year. I put two months as that's how it was in 'real time'.

It's a combination of the cliches and the fact that it's just awfully done that makes me dislike it. Maybe it's just personal taste. Still, all I've found this to be is yet another story that has Harry become radically badass just so he be a player and insult the Weasleys, Order and Dumbledore.

2. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Ibex - 15 reviews
    Harry Potter has traveled back to the year that shaped his life--1981. His actions will change the face of the world. Dark!Evil!Harry, gore, violence, AU post HBP.
    Published January 28, 2009 - Updated May 07, 2009 - Action/Adventure/Timetravel - R - Work in Progress - 35,950 words - 6 chapters - Tags - Post-DH

I found this fic on PC while browsing around. While Harry is arguably evil, he is so far the most benign evil I've seen in a while.

The Pros: Harry is so far a benign Dark Lord. He seems to be planning to take over for the good of all wizards - not any specific species/blood type. There are some genuinely funny moments (Sirius catching Harry on an Oreo run, Lily and James vowing to raise baby Harry as a pacifist). I like how his emotional attachments to the Order members seem to be impacting his behavior.

The Cons: There's a disconnect between the labeling of Harry as a Dark Lord and his behavior. While I can see him acting against Dumbledore or Snape, I really don't see him attacking his parents/Remus/Sirius/Weasleys. I just can't view him as being evil. He's more of a dark-grey lord or mildly-dark lord.

3. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Harry Potter and the Walking Shadow by Koinaka

When Dumbledore shows up at the Dursley's front door to deliver Harry's Hogwarts letter, he is in for a surprise: for the last ten years, Harry has lived in a London orphanage, much like another dark-haired wizard. Is history doomed to repeat itself?
    Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Drama/Angst - Chapters: 14 - Words: 48,631 - Reviews: 454 - Updated: 5-3-09 - Published: 9-24-08 - Harry P.

Yet another story where Harry has been left in an orphanage, and pretty much is set in the footsteps of Tom Riddle.
    The story, while not terribly original(hat songs, "magical creditcard" and Harry featuring super mind powers - apparently he reads minds easier than magazines), it's not a half-bad read.

It looks like the author is heading towards Snape as a mentor, or their interactions are quite similar to other stories which end up that way AND the author seems to be twilight fan, but so far everything is not that badly done and comes closer to the "almost recommended story" rather than barely readable.
    To be honest, the story has some surprisingly good moments, but the overall bad presentation of most ideas are overshadowing them.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its not a bad fic, read it a while back, enjoyed it, but its nothing that really is worth remembering.

5. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

The problem with Discovery (other than deplorable grammar and... its existence) is that parts of it are written as being dead serious, with no humor detectable at all, anywhere, and then all of a sudden death eaters are making meta-references to the originality of plot ideas and Voldemort is sporting a metallic jumpsuit and a wig while making wisecracks about Malfoy's ability to satisfy a woman.

I wish that the author would...

A:
    Trade in his/her brain for a new one with less rust and a suspension that isn't shot. One with a functioning grammar unit would be nice.

B: Pick a freakin' genre! Farcical comedy or serious drama, choose. Choose now!

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Updated, and I digg the new chapter; on it's own, for me at least a 4/5. Due to the weaker first three chapters, it's less altogether, but if this quality keeps up, I’d see in For Review soon. Especially as the author promised weekly updates.

You get used to NotInsane!Bella, in fact, I'd even say it's the best sane Bella I've read; and anyway, the rest makes more than up for that. It has cool battles, it's bloody and realistic; and what I like most is that it isn't about countless chapters of training *cough*PowerOfTime*cough*, but jumps right into the action. Of course, he's severely outclassed and has to make up for it by getting other advantages, but that only makes it better.

Actually, I think that was what made me dislike the first few chapters: they're too much focused on learning stuff (but to be fair, if they'd leave it out, I'd probably complain that we don't see his progress). It's noticeably less by chapter four, and that's where the story kicks off.

Can't wait for the next update.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I was pretty impressed with Warriors Philosophy. There are plenty of spelling errors and some grammatical issues in the 5 chapters out so far, but otherwise the story is pretty solid. Decent ideas, and decent execution. If the author keeps going, it just might be worthy of the library later.

8. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    It needs at least a few more chapters before anyone can post it for review. As it is I would rate it sure with solid 4 but the fic could go either way in the next few chapters.

My main worries are with the author who seems to prefer taking the easy way over the right way to do things. An example would be Bellatrix's sanity which is due to her having animagus form, and while quite possible I'd have preferred reading of character who is slowly returning to his sanity due to better life and rituals for example, instead of convenient ability given out of nowhere.

On other topic - author's affinity to write fighting scenes is impressive, for me at least. I can't point out why is that exactly. But it's safe to say the author is succeeding in creating realistic fights and that is a total win for me.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Most polite Dark Lord ever. Every command is issued with a please and every success with a thank you. If it wasn't trying to be serious I'd find it very amusing :D.

10. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Ibex has come a long way, it is getting rather good, I am such a sucker for polite and dignified time travelers.

11. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

*shrug*

Its better than every small thing getting the Cruciatus and/or Avada Kedavra.

I prefer nice-dark-lord-Harry over raging-psychopath-Voldemort.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, but I just can't imagine big, dark, scary Harry torturing a guy one minute then asking politely for a minion to bring in the next one... If he was clinically insane, sure, but this is just taking the piss.

13. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I quite liked this one. I look forward to more of it.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Title: Had I Known
    Author: kayly silverstorm
    Rating: Rated M on ffnet, but I'd go with a T
    Pairing: None atm -- none appear to be on the horizon

Summary: After killing Voldemort during seventh year, Harry vanished without a trace. But now, 8 years later, a deadly secret forces him to return and it seems that only Snape will be able to save him. SSHP, no slash

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2544950/1/Had_I_Known

It's been a while since I read this story, but I was paging through my favorites on fanfiction.net and became curious as to what the folks on DLP thought of this one. I tried using google to search the forums for any threads mentioning it, but all it came up with was an old introduction post in the color pink. So if it's around somewhere and I missed it, my bad, but I did try.

I like this story and I'm not sure why, since in a lot of ways it's not all that kickass. Going to touch on a few important points below in spoiler tags.

Ron and Hermione are dead, what precisely happened to them was unknown last time I looked, but the story was getting there. The rest of the Weasleys do not make an appearance.

Harry shows up at Hogwarts for "one last time" eight years after killing Voldemort. Only when the staff notice his symptoms Snape points out that it's some deadly spell or condition that won't just kill Potter, it'll undo anything he did in his lifetime, or something. I.e. Voldemort would return, which means they need to fix Potter. Potter, who was ready to die from this illness, is a bit pissy that he's being forced to save the world again.

Treatment requires Legilimency, and involves flashbacks to Harry's past to try and find out when this condition occured, as that is a requirement for curing it. Harry doesn't trust Dumbledore and doesn't want him in his head after all the manipulations he pulled, so Snape it is. I'd say the story is about 2/3 present and 1/3 flashbacks. Harry's life in this story follows canon to a point, but we don't see too many flashbacks there as I don't think the author wanted to go over events we are already familiar with too much. Harry did not have a pleasant life in this one.

A lot of the characters, such as the staff, are written as though they are complete buffoons. I don't think this is done on purpose. There are some OCs that are mostly interesting and better written, but a lot of damn cliches regarding his new buddies. Harry is friends with Vampires, Centuars, Druids, and... probably some other strange things that I forgot. They all seem to think he's the next best thing to sliced bread though since he's got a position of authority in each of their cultures -- overdone.

Harry is interesting. He's pretty badass, but he's also ill for most of the story. There isn't a lot of fighting, but I always had the impression that this Harry could seriously fuck you up, ill or not. His personality is strangely accepting of pretty much everything. He doesn't seem to have much of a temper anymore, though we do see hints of it. Not sure how to explain that well, but his attitude is not the norm and I'm not sure if that's good or not. Seems to work all right for this story though.

The author might want to reword the HPSS note in the summary, since this isn't slash, nor is it a take on Severus adopting/mentoring Harry. I guess it could be said that they come to understand each other and are friends of a sort, but really all it means is that they are the two main characters.

One thing I always remembered as reading first in this story was the idea of Harry becoming an expert at Wards post-Voldemort. Not an Auror, not a Quidditch player, not the Minister for Magic, but someone who is an expert at protecting and hiding himself and his property. Granted this is barely touched on at all in the story, but it stuck with me as my favorite idea for Harry's vocation.

I don't think English is the author's first language, though the errors were fairly easy for me to look over.

To sum up, I'm putting this in the "almost" recommended Fanfiction because I can find numerous reasons that it probably wouldn't make it into the library. At the same time it's a story I've been following for a long time and have always somewhat enjoyed reading, and it's fun to share that sort of thing and see what other people think (good or bad). Bit hard to do here though -- you folks here at DLP already have most of the good ones listed on the damn site.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  15. Kang

I was about to read the fic on your recommendation when I noticed the author's penname. I had thought it was vaguely familiar.

Lo and behold, once I clicked on the authors name and scrolled down I saw the infamous, When A Lioness Fights fic.

FUCK THAT.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, that story I didn't like in the least and I can second the "fuck that" you give.

I guess can also understand not wanting to read it based on that, but hey, it's not recommended, it's *almost* recommended. :awesome

17. Bratling

Bratling Professor

I don't like When a Lioness Fights, either, but I do like Had I Known. It's slowly evolving into a Harry/Severus friendship, which I can deal with, considering that it's set so long after Hogwarts. No slashy undertones, Harry isn't pulling a 'poor pitiful me' routine, and despite the fact that he's dying in the story, it's not overly angst-ridden. There are some clichés, but as long as you can overlook them, and the fact that it's not DLP subject matter, you'll be fine.

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This one is weird. The plot doesn't try to be grand, nothing really seems like an important event. It's different from the stuff I've been reading lately, but you gotta wonder about what sense of accomplishment you can get from writing a story that unambitious.

And no to kayla silverstorm. The Lioness fic sucked so bad I'm going to invoke the no second chance policy.

19. Kang

Up tp Ch6 Of 'Had I Known'.

Pretty standard but I'm incredibly bored.

20. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I feel like I have to read this now.

Edit: Two paragraphs in I've changed my mind.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
Not open for further replies.