1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Prototype

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by The-Hyphenated-One, Jun 9, 2009.

1. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Here's the games official site

http://www.prototypegame.com/us/index.html

Prototype (stylized as "[PROTOTYPE]") is an action game developed by Radical Entertainment and based on an original IP developed in-house. The game was released in North America on June 9, 2009, but won't be released in southwestern parts of North America til' June 10, in Oceania on June 10 and in Europe on June 12. The game is available on Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 platforms. Prototype was released a day early in Australia.

The game is set in New York City as a virus infects people and government military try to defend against it. The protagonist of the story is named Alex Mercer, who has enemy-absorbing and shapeshifting powers. He can take memories, experiences, biomass and physical forms of the enemies through absorption. Alex can also shapeshift into more specialized forms for attack, defense or sensory enhancement. All of these together are intended to give players multiple ways to complete their objectives. Parallel to the game's storyline is the ability to play the game as a sandbox-style video game giving the player free roam of New York City.

This game looks alot like assassin's creed with a modern setting, definitely going to be checking it out myself.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

inFAMOUS > Prototype

Just sayin'.

3. Zarent

Zarent Seventh Year

One post!

Damn, you beat /v/ by a mile.

4. Intention

Intention Squib

So. Anyone actually played this one yet? My Xbox has been lonely and I wanted to pick something up to play on it.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Lol, it's been the opposite with my PS3. Too many good games coming out and not enough money. <_<

There's also a review over at IGN's 360 section. 7.5. Looks like I was right, inFAMOUS >>>> Prototype.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I have it.

I'm up to collecting genetic samples

It's fucking awesome.

Still can't hijack helicopters in midflight though. :(

FYI; On PC.

Runs Smooth with full settings.

7. Kerrus

Kerrus DA Member

[​IMG]

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Saw the adverts for it, might buy it for my brothers birthday since its coming up.

9. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

I'm not sure about this one. I generally find myself agreeing with Erik Brudvig's reviews (the guy at IGN) so this sounds like I'll be giving it a miss until I can pick it up cheap 2nd hand.

Still, its hilarious to see the immediate fanboy flame wars that sprung up on the comment thread for the Prototype review between the 360 and PS3 fanboys. By hilarious I of course mean utterly depressing. Thank god there's nobody here who would act like those bunch of neanderthalic twats, right?

Oh wai-

In all honesty I would rather be playing infamous, but considering my lack of a spare organ to flog at the black market, and the fact that those wankers at Sony didn't announce a price-cut at E3, I'll probably have to wait until xmas to get my hands on it. I do really want to play it though.

Also this

[​IMG]
    made me lol. Puts those "Who would win, X vs Z" arguments into perspective.

Edit: Just noticed Lady Sorrows, but didn't you say the same thing about Fallout 3? Back in November?
    You know its perfectly alright to admit being a hardcore gamer, no need to mask your personality with family member's.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  10. No Earthly Clue

No Earthly Clue Third Year DLP Supporter

Bought Prototype and I like it for the most part. The only down side being that the graphics are not all that brillant and the game gets frustrating at some points.

At this point I think inFAMOUS was better. It looked better and made me want to play the game over again. And the ending to it was awesome.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Because I like a PS3 game over a multiplatform game I'm suddenly a fanboy. It has nothing to do with the fact that both games are open world sandbox adventure/action games with superpowers that released within a month of each other... no, comparing the two is LUDICROUS. It also can't be because of the fact that the enormous amount of combos and powers in Prototype puts me off, or the fact that the graphics are subpar, especially large vistas. No... it must be because I'm a PS3 fanboy.

Lol, if I were a PS3 fanboy, I wouldn't be about to get the game in... 16 hours irregardless of how much worse it will be than inFAMOUS. I'm sure it's a good game nonetheless.

And I also wouldn't be seriously considering buying an Xbox soon.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  12. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Lol I was just found it amusing that whenever two sandbox games are released in the same time period with one system exclusive any discussion immediately turns into a console epeen war. No disprespect intended, I own both a 360 and a Wii and if I could afford a PS3 I'd be playing inFAMOUS right now.

I'll probably borrow Prototype before buying it in any rate. If my prayers are answered and Sony announces a price drop at TGS (which seems fairly unlikely I'll admit) my cash will be going towards a bundle deal.

Edit: Also, lol:
    [​IMG]

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

What? When has this exact situation happened in the past?

Also: lol @ Wii

14. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

True I should have said "games of a similar genre" though I had in mind the arguments resulting from Gears of War and Uncharted, the different versions of GTA IV, Grid and Motorstorm 2 etc.

Also yes and my dad even bought Wii Fit (Yes my dad, I'm not going to drop 80 quid on a glorified power-pad!) I'll tell you one thing though, leave out Wii Sports and 4 remotes when you've got a party and you'll be surprised at how many girls who've previously had no interest in games whatsoever will try it out.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Well.

Finished my first play through on normal.

The combat is very satisfying, and it pays off really well when you learn how to use all the skills.

Next up Hard+ difficulty. :D

16. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Downloaded this and... it doesn't play well on my computer. I can tell it'd be fun if it didn't freeze every fifteen minutes, but that isn't the case for me. It's strange, in every cut scene I can't hear any dialogue and there's this strange static sound in the background.

Disappointing, in a way, but not the game's fault. Gonna fiddle with stuff and try to figure out how to get it to work.

17. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

/Fanboy mixed in with some Whargarrrrble for you.

And Prototype was meh.
    (Finished the download tonight Sree.)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

reggin: You're getting close to a forum ban as well, since you've decided to bring your trolling out of IRC.

19. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Got it today for my 360. Played it for a few hours.

It's fucking awesome. I have never played a game before that makes you feel so goddamn powerful. It's pretty fucking satisfying tearing through hordes of infected and military personnel.

20. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Played them both. inFamous took a while to hook me, but once you get past the first hour it's pretty good. Prototype hooked me straight away with a really good entrance scene and glimpse of all the powers you can wield at the start and seeing as I hadn't read up much on the game, discovering that you could cut people in half was exciting. Anyway I do need to finish inFamous before I can decided which I like more. After that though I'll probably just go back to playing the Virtua Tennis 4. It has been an expensive few weeks for me and PS3.