1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

An Interesting little legal problem by After the rain - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Garret P.I., Jun 4, 2007.

1. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Okay, I've pretty thoroughly searched the site using the search tool, and looked through the mandatory "read this message or I'll kick your ass" posts, and I've not seen anyone post anything by After the Rain for review.

That said, I'd like to make a recommendation for review.
    (Yeah, I know I'm a newb at the moment, but what's life without a few risks of having your ass chewed on.)

Title: An Interesting Little Legal Problem
    Author: After the Rain
    Rating: T
    Genre: Comedy/Action
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody or General fics
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Summer after OOtP. Harry Potter's fate has always been to live with the Dursley's during the summer. No longer is this the case. Sirius's will left Harry's Guardianship to one Remus Lupin. However, there's some question about the rest of Mr. Black's belongings. Features extremely well written characters, Snarky Snape, a Thestral Hair sofa, and a homocidal lampshade that stalks its victims.
    Link: linkage

Okay, first off, I know... the whole "Sirius's will" crap has been done to death. But, this author started these stories back in 2004 when it wasn't, so I really recommend you give her work a chance.

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Well, I got four chapters into this before stopping. I didn't stop because there was anything horribly wrong, or some horrorshow twist that upset me. No, I stopped because this fic seems to suffer from the same problem a large number of fics on fictionalley do, in my opinion.

They are very well written, they maintain a tone, a quality, a style, and a care for grammar and spelling. And they are completely uninteresting.

Maybe it's the layout of the site, or something, but so many of the fics there just fail to capture any interest in me. I can tell they're good but it's like they have no character. No personality.

For humor/comedy I don't think I laughed once. It is definitely amusing, and some ideas make you smile, but it still feels like a well-polished turd. The attitudes of the characters, their interaction, the supposedly humorous quirks and cute things (like a muggle building a model of Hogwarts, or the kid drawing a red ring around his neck pretending to be Nearly-Headless Nick)... it feels like a wonderful story for young children, or their grandparents, but for me, it just feels as blasé and plastic as my average experience on a schnoogle fic.

I know I shouldn't group them all, as there are some great fics there. But a lot of them never manage to capture my interest. And this was one of those.

Others may love this or they may hate it. Or they may feel as indifferent towards it as I do. 3/5 for me.

3. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Well, I suppose you either like the dry humor in the fic, or you don't.

Humor/comedy of course isn't confined to over the top loud out loud funny, and myself I like the more subtle stuff.

But that said, I think you forgot to put your vote in on the rating... it didn't register your 3/5. I wouldn't want it to get into the library if the author's works didn't rate it.

4. CaptainG

CaptainG Third Year

I think its the width of the page. I prefer reading off sites like ffa and ficwad that have the width of text set to about 80% of the full page. It frames it better. That said, I do read fics on ff.net but i find it laboursome. I diagree with the no fics with personality. Simply search the fics that are on other sites and you'll find the ones with personality...

ABout this one, though, i was impressed. Some good (if odd) characterisation and a few laugh-out-loud moments. I think thats mainly because Ive just finihsed an exam and needed something humourous, but i think some of the jokes in here may stand up to a second read, which is always the test for a humour fic.

4/5

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Yeah, I know. I frequently hold off on my ratings, because once you put it in, you can never change it. Fics that I really enjoy, I'll vote 5/5 right away. Or ones that are horrible I'll give the 1/5 as the lowest I can. But middle of the road fics, especially WIP fics (or in this case a fic I've not even read half of), I'll wait and see if my opinion sways up or down a star. So far only CaptainG has expressed an opinion and it wasn't strong enough to make me give this another try yet.

I'll drop in my vote sometime soon but I'm curious if most people here are of the same opinion as you and CaptainG or not. Considering how many hits this thread has, and how few responses and votes, I'm thinking a few were in the same grey area as me.

6. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Well, you did stop in chapter 4, some of the funny stuff didn't really start happening until Luna showed up
    riding a snorkack and wearing her roaring lion head hat... which sets the stage for the cause of the title. Pay attention to the book that Ron is reading and some of the new spells mentioned.
    Though, humor is very subjective. Something that I might find very funny may not even get a yawn out of you... and vis versa.

We'll just wait and see how things shake out once more votes come in and are tallied, you could be spot on in your analysis.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  7. Kate

Kate Elite Member DLP Supporter

I agree with Nonjon, and though it might become funny later, it couldn't really hold my attention until that point.

It reminds me a little to much of stories that focus the first 70.000 words on Harry's summer and then stops, because they never planned what should happen after the ridiculous long descriptions of Harry's training, shopping etc.

I know that's not the point of the story (as the title indicates), but it still bores me, no matter how good the writing is.

8. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I stopped reading at the first chapter...it was just too boring for me, I don't know why though. I just couldn't find a plot, honestly, I didn't see it anyway. 3/5 for me.

Richard

9. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

It belongs in the trash bin, but it isn't bad enough to delete. It is purely mediocre.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  10. legal Forum

legal Forum Guest

n Wednesday night, North Charleston’s city sewage district says the polluted water made it into apartments as a record rainfall of more than four inches overwhelmed the storm drains.People in North Charleston are not alone in the clean up.

Workers from a carpet care center responded to more than 50 calls of flooding around Charleston and Hanahan.

Jeremy Pinto says, “If it doesn’t get dried out right,you can end up with mold and mildew.Certainly the most obvious is your odors and can cause structural damage.”

11. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Lolwhut?

filler

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I fully agree Legal Forum, and excellent point made there!

I look forward to more posts from you!

13. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I do enjoy your sarcastic wit.

C wat i did thar?
    ^.^