1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

*Palms forehead*

We'll decide that. Link it.

The possible (read: definite) cliche/rabid plot bunny has been bolded in red.

If you think a beta is just for catching grammar, I would reconsider. Like now-ish

*palms forehead*

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. Poorfox

Poorfox First Year

Wow, you seem nice Justblaise. But you're taking my words far too literally in places where they're actually a figure of speech.

I know what a beta reader is and does - that's not what I'm looking for. I was looking for a partner in crime to discuss hings with and use as a wall to bounce ideas off before writing. A beta's job, in the conventional sense, is to read through afterwards and help by improving it.

Still, if you're not interested, you're not interested. Hopefully someone else will be.

3. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The easiest way to do this is post your story in Work By Author. From there, you'll find, depending on the quality of your story, people who are willing to play Devil's Advocate for you. You should still recruit yourself a beta reader. Trust me: a beta reader is your best friend, your worst critic, and your biggest fan wrapped up in one package. Not only will they tell you the truth, they'll also tell you how to improve your rough spots.

And now that I'm done dispensing advice, I think you sound like an overly pompous dick. Not that being a dick is something unusual here at DLP, but you're only allowed to be a dick when you've gained seniority and/or experience here.

Dude, you have none. Tone it down a little.

4. Poorfox

Poorfox First Year

Again, not what I was looking for, but thanks for trying to help anyway. I don't mean to come across as a dick - and although I know I can do, I didn't think I was that bad.

5. NightFox

NightFox Seventh Year

Work by Author forum exists for a reason. Throw it up, and criticism ye shall receive.

Ninja edit: Forgot to refresh page. Try #thestudy in IRC, or the main channel. Chances are that someone will entertain the thought.

And it's not really even being a dick, as far as I'm concerned. It's just being an idiot who's trying to too hard.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  6. Poorfox

Poorfox First Year

Bleh, third person to make the same mistake. I'll go check my original post and see if I can re-word it to make things clearer. I'm not looking for comments on a piece of written work. What I wanted was to speak to someone abut things before I even put pen to paper.

7. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

You're not getting the picture. IRC is exactly what he's talking about. Hop on there, get some people in #thestudy, and start throwing ideas out. They'll let you know what's shit and what can be salvaged, trust me. Just... go in there with a little air let out of your head, mkay?

8. Poorfox

Poorfox First Year

I posted that before he put in his edit, Fuego. After the ninja edit, he made a very useful suggestion, for which I'm grateful.

9. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

I'm rather curious as to the thought process that led poorfox to post his spiel in the Harry/Fleur thread, of all places. We have so many clearly marked places for things like that, even if he's inept at IRC.

We had such a good thing going with the pictures, and then he killed it. It makes me sad.

10. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Me dunn get it :,(

Indeed, so let's get something new started. Anyone done a compilation of good Harry/Fleur stories recently? Otherwise I just might spend some time setting something up.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Back on topic.

12. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Not to sound pessimistic or anything, but this thread is WAY out of hand.

I have for the last week read through the whole thread (including most stories) and found it to be a very pleasurable experience. What i didn´t really like was all the people posting plot bunnies that they were to bad to write themselves and the big contest in the beginning.

Sure, fancy stuff, but it happened 2 years ago. My point is that we should make a new thread, Harry/Fleur Community 1,2.
    In this thread you ONLY post stories and once in a while the first post will be updated with all the stories in the thread (that didn´t get flamed to badly anyway).

The last few pages proves my point. While looking at hawt models is fun i would rather that stuff didn´t happen in my Harry/Fleur thread:(

13. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Why? This thread was created to discuss all aspects of Harry/Fleur.

Are you trying to suggest a sticky post for a listing of H/F stories?

14. Myduraz

No, it's not your Harry/Fleur thread. I don't really see the point of creating a new thread though, if you do not want to read through all the pages, then don't. A sticky post or a c2 of decent Harry/Fleur stories is a good idea though. Might help people find everything readable with the pairing fast.

15. rocket_runner

rocket_runner Seventh Year

1: It's not your thread.

2: This thread is for discussing Harry/Fleur. In fact, I'm pretty sure the thread is titled "Harry/Fleur Community" and not "Harry/Fleur Stories"; thus, we are not restricted to the discussing of plots and new stories.

3: By discussing who would be the best model/actress to portray Fleur, we kept this thread alive. Obviously, that's good because it brings attention to the Harry/Fleur pairing. Hopefully that will lead to more well-written Harry/Fleur stories. And we're looking at hot women in hopes of finding the best. It's a win-win.

Agreed.

16. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Don´t take the "my" so damn seriously.

Besides, i never said that this thread was bad or anything. In fact, you´ve all been complementing my idea. I just wanted a new thread, that works besides this one, that lists stories.

It doesn´t have to be a sticky, it´s like the "almost recommended" thread but with only Harry/Fleur (good stories too though).

Didn´t mean to come down on this thread but my main purpose for being on DLP is to read good stories and it was kind of hard to find them right now:)

17. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

If you make a thread with a list of H/F stories, you'll need to make 20 threads for various ships. A C2 would be a good idea, though.

18. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Damn you. Looks like you beat me to creating the c2.

Anyone know where the elusive 'delete community' button is? One c2 is enough.

19. Myduraz

Home alone and bored, here is the c2.

Feel free to discuss what stories should be added, removed etcetera.

20. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Thanks a lot!

Checked it out and saw that every title was purple which was a little sad but still great work!