1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Taboo discussion topics in "Real Life" forum?

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by naidrodro, Sep 4, 2009.

1. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

Hello, I've been active in several communities for almost 10 years, and the one thing i noticed in almost all of them was that discussions pertaining to religion, including debates regarding the existence of a god, gods, or other omnipotent beings is usually frowned upon, if not outright banned.

Is there any topics such as this that I should be aware of before posting in the "Real Life" forum?

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Considering that DLP tends to be mostly on the atheist side of things (with a few notable exceptions), that wouldn't be a problem -- in fact, I even think we had it all. I remember our last abortion debate, for example. Or the thread about creationism. Turn on the search and have a look (but don't necro).

If there in fact aren't much threads about religion, apart from pointing out the latest fundi nutjobs (we always have those), it's more because discussions like that turn out rather pointless. Everyone more or less agreeing does that to a topic. As for anything else ...

Keep the gun discussion in the 2nd amendment tread, but that's Politics, not Real Life. Don't do the wizards vs. muggles thing, but that's in General. I can't really think of anything ... and if it's too out there, put it into Sick & Perverse.

Others feel free to correct me, though.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

There is no specific thread that discusses religion, and there doesn't really need to be, since it's brought up every now and then anyway.

I try to stay out of all of those topics, myself, because arguing gives me a headache. o_O Actually, I stay out of any topics that could lead to a potential conflict.

But yeah, as far as I am aware, there aren't very many "Taboo" discussion topics here. Just try not to make duplicate threads.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  4. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Yeah Secs and Iz, know more about this than me, but from what I have seen discussions of anything from gay burning to humping animals aren't really out of the ordinary on DLP (thats why I keep coming back here) as long as you don't sound like a troll you should be good.

5. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

If you like the humping of animals, that's why you keep coming back. I know that's why I do.

6. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Don't worry OP, we're not all like this guy. *shudder*

:p

7. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

The only taboo is being anti-Semitic.

[/Jewish brainwashing]

8. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, that's news to me :awesome

9. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Indeed, we jut had a discussion on do-it-yourself circumcision a week ago.

10. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

If staying out of trouble is your concern, just use the search function on a topic you want to post about.

Community here is fairly active and diverse, so all the "typical" topics have been brought up, hashed, rehashed, resurrected, and crucified.

The one thing that comes to mind as a taboo is propaganda threads. Although some have seemingly gotten away with it.

If you want to intellectually masturbate, there are a few well known members here who will be up for a circle jerk. (Oh the puns!)

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Don't get into a discussion with thatperson about science or religion as he is a hardkoer creationist.

12. kalantha

kalantha Sixth Year

If you look at the Hall of Shame, you'll find a prime example of the types of things which will either get you banned or are considered "taboo".

Basically, if you're going to start a discussion, do it intelligently and keep in mind that others may have opinions that differ from yours.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  13. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

As long as he is capable of forming a coherent argument without having to resort to personal attacks, it seems thatperson would be the perfect member to actually talk to about this. The reason why I made this topic in the first place is because I love theological debates, often regardless of how much they get me in trouble with the admins.

It's good to hear that this site operates on this principle. :) Much better that what I have come to expect

14. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Fixed. We're Semites too, genius. :awesome

15. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Yeah, I wondered in the past why so many people hate the Akkadians, Arabs, and us Jews... but then I was told that anti-Semites actually only hate Jews. That made more sense.

16. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

It's okay EE. Talk about anything, if it is a taboo here I'll come and enforce DLP's rules in person :p

Just don't be a retard. Nuff said.