1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

I've seen way more stories ruined by people getting bogged down in the early years than people going too fast. Twelve year olds just aren't that interesting, I'd much rather he quickly get to the point at which Harry can start interacting with the adults.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is really a good start for a story, I like both brothers, which is a surprise as normally I don't like either brother in normal twin stories, the story paces well and it is well written. Quirrel was a nice change and about the only shame is to have a Ravenclaw Harry story and making him leave before he can meet Luna but to be fair it is not a problem at all in this story.

I am curious how this will develop.

For now, it is 4/5

3. Mr Stereo1

Mr Stereo1 Squib

Well the first years almost always suck somehow, fourth year can be fun though, and seeing a dark harry face off against his twin in the triwizard might be fun. I doubt we'll see any fun Fleurbaiting in this fic though, he does seem like male!hermione... disturbingly so... I demand a medical!

4. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

i am also curious about TWT. if harry manages to go ahead in years in durmstrang than he has a good chance of being a champion. I think that's where the author is heading when it is implied that in durmstrang you go ahead. competing with his brother would be fun.

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

He'll need to explain it rather well, though. The Canon had a line made to ban all under 17 and Canon Harry got in through a cheat from fake Moody. Here, we might have the twin get in by fake Moody, but Harry's still needs something.

Also, try to make the twin and his years away from Harry something different. Kill off Ginny in the Chamber, have Pettigrew captured and killed, maybe he gets bitten by Lupin in his third year, just do something unique.

6. Katricia

Katricia DA Member

I like this story so far, although I agree with the people that say that writing about Harry attending Durmstrang is going to be rather hard to pull off, simply because so little is known about the school from canon. It's definitely better than your average Harry's-twin-is-the-BWL fic, as I've never really found it all that realistic to have Harry's parents abuse and neglect him simply because he's not the BWL... they aren't the Dursleys, after all. I'd give it a 4/5.

7. The Santi

The Santi Professor

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> I tried to figure out how to make this Harry/Fleur, but I gave up after everything I thought of was retarded.

I'm sure there is a sticky for this, but how does WbA work? Do I need to repost chapters 1&2 there or can I just provide a link to my story and start with a scene from chapter 3?

8. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

The fic has an excellent start. I'm not sure who I feel about Harry having cursed his brother on an off ever since he got his wand.

If it doesn't get abandoned, the fic could be really great. After Voldemort's defeat, continueing it as a battle between the Potters would be interesting.

It would be like Dumbledore and Grindwalde, only without the gay sex.

9. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I wonder if the BWL in this fic is going to be a copy of canon!Harry - a lucky jock. Will he manage to do all the things canon!Harry did or will he be useless like Ron? I'm not I'm going to like the protagonist if he becomes Herman or a Tom Riddle. I wish the update was sooner, but if the author can keep a once a month regular update it'll be ok.

10. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

The fic is already away from cliches making it original in some sense so do not try to force an odd ship to make it different anymore.

welll for the wba, just give the link of your fic in fanfiction.net saying the previous parts can be founded there and then just post chapter 3. Of course if you want excessive and detailed criticism on the first two chapters as well then post those two but i find that rather unnecessary.

11. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Karkaroff can simply refuse to allow his school to participate unless Dumbledore changes the wording of who can put their name in the Goblet from 17 years old and up to 6th or 7th year and up depending on which Harry is in at the time. Dumbledore won't see a problem with changing the wording and just concede.

12. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Agree with this.

Karkaroff only has to say that such a rule is foolish since his most promising students aren't his oldest, and the rule gets nixed.

After all, logic dictates that the Goblet would choose the most worthy students despite their age, and therefore the most likely to succeed/survive. Frankly, the 17+ rule in canon wasn't very logical.

13. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Agreed.

And who knows? He could change it up so it 2 people per school. I don't know about anyone else but I like Victor Krum. So hopefully he will be a main character if Harry leaves Hogwarts.

14. The Santi

The Santi Professor

The first two scenes of chapter 3 have been posted in the WbA section. Let me know what you think.

15. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think this is an ok story, but if you do have Harry go toanother school try to make the ocs real.

16. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Nice update. Can't wait to see everyone's reaction to him transferring, which I presume will happen in the next chapter?

love the fast updates

4/5

17. Chiron

Chiron Second Year

This has to be one of the better OBWL stories out there. Harry seems smart for his age, but he also gets knocked around by Quirrell. I'm excited on how you're going to portray Dumstrang if Harry transfers. IMO this fic has alot of potential.

4/5

18. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

As a whole, I like this story. Good characterization, good storyline, and somethings you just don't see much. My favorite one of those has to be Quirrelmort taking Harry under his wing. I think the only other time I've ever seen that has been a WWSHD story by Big D.

But one thing is bugging me, and maybe it's just me. It seems to me like you're going out of your way to make Hermione not talk with Harry. It's a minor problem, but it's bugging me.

Over all, good story. Definitly 4/5

19. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

Essentially this.

The reactions could easily make or break the story. I'm still hoping you had a good reason for Harry not telling his parents other than the fact that i made writing the story and progressing the plot easier.

Looking forward to the next update.

20. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I like it. I think what I like best about it (so far anyway) is that Harry's getting by on his own merits, and even if Voldemort is the uber-bad guy, he's still interested in Harry for reasons other than getting more info on the Boy Who Lived. And I'm kind of interested to see the author's take on Durmstrang--just don't skimp on the school character or the oc's! Looking forward to more updates.

Not open for further replies.