1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Sep 4, 2009.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Trailer

http://www.batmanarkhamasylum.com/start

From Wikipedia:

So..., is there anyone here playing this besides me? Awesome game, really.

2. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Just bought it today, currently attempting to rescue Commissioner Gordon.

How many Riddler Trophies so far?

3. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Roughly 60% of the riddle trophies so far. I've got it since monday, and I'm with Killer Croc now.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting them all in your first try; I've heard that once you beat the game, yuo can go look for the rest of riddles in the asylum.

4. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

I'd just like to point out that this game is fucking awesome. In fact its almost certainly the best super-hero game in recent memory, if you measure a super-hero game's success in conveying the experience of being the hero as well as providing excellent gameplay.

The game is structured somewhat like the Metroid games. Arkham is a large environment which you traverse as the story progresses. However you can backtrack or take time to explore whenever you want, and as you find different items you will return to old areas and discover new ones. The game is full of excellent collectibles that actually motivate you to look around, such as sometimes frankly disturbing interviews with the more deranged residents of the island, or riddles to solve set by the Riddler.

The combat is an excellent mix between Assassins Creed style melee's and well executed stealth sections that often feel like extremely enjoyable puzzles rather than being the annoying painfully arbitrary sort of stealth you see in games like Metal Gear(well not MGS4 as thats just a straight action game).

The last great hook of this game is the voice acting. The game reunites most of the cast of the animated Batman series, crucially including Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill as the Joker. Being freed from the restriction of a PG cartoon the cast provides some truly stellar performances with Hamill dominating as the Joker broadcasting across Arkham from the Warden's office taunting Batman and egging on his deranged henchmen as they seek to murder innocents and kill the bat.

I really can't recommend this game more highly. Get it now as seemingly most of this winter's games have been pushed to 2010. Meanwhile this is out now and is truly excellent.

5. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

Bought this on the recommendation of a friend despite generally disliking Superhero games. I'm currently in the medical building trying to reach Commissioner Gordon and Harley Quinn.

Game is great so far: dark and gritty like The Dark Knight, voice acting and script are fantastic (some of the random lines in particular that you hear Joker spouting through speakers when you're running around the grounds), combat is good, visuals are good.

My only issue has to be the camera, which I greatly dislike. I would much rather them have gone for a Prince of Persia style camera, or at least have the option to zoom out away from Batman's back. More centralised positioning and further back away from the character would have made a great improvement imo.

That issue aside though, I wholeheartedly recommend this one. Very very impressive.

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Awesome fights for thugs and such... terrible boss fights. Except Scarecrow, and only the mindfuck parts. Not the "don't let him see you" parts. Definitely a must-buy game.

I wish I had the PC version though. Need me some batsuit mods.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I suddenly have the urge to read Bruce Wayne/Harley Quinn fics.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Quote for the fucking truth, man. The fucking Truth. :3

I'm a die-hard Joker/Harley man, myself, but damned if that doesn't sound temptingly devious. Awesome game, so far. I have to say I never understood why anyone thought doing Joker was a step down for Hamill. >_>

10. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Awesome game was awesome.

And Harley was hot:awesome

5/5

11. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

The combat challenges are a bitch, for the record. Took me days to manage to get those medals. If there is one fault in the game, is that it lets you complete the story whilst remaining dreadful at combat - doesn't really force you to learn anything until you get to the challenges and start getting steamrollered.

Everything else was awesome though, and the free DLC was greatly appreciated. I 1000/1000'd the game on the 360, and it didn't feel like a chore at all doing the more finicky Riddle Trophies or replaying in Hard Mode.

Oh, and the Chronicles of Arkham subplot was pretty great - along with the Scarecrow's third mindfuck that made me think my 360 was dying.

Hope they do a sequel is all I can say.

12. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Combat challenges are indeed a bitch. If they do a sequel, I'd like to see a No Man's Land adaptation.

13. Seitou

Seitou Third Year

Got it last night and have played it for nearly 5 hours already, and loved every minute. The stealth is excellent, a little simple, but fun and lasting all the same. The combat is fun, if a little hectic and difficult to predict, there's no real way of controlling which move Batman will do next.

The only real problem I’ve had so far is that on both my machine and my best mates it's crashed at least twice for no apparent reason. My machine meets all the recommended requirements, and his far exceeds them so that's kinda frustrating. Anyway, anyone else got it yet? Or is anyone considering getting it?

14. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Genius maneuver.

As for crashes, I dunno. Patch it if it's out, or suffer until they figure out the problem.

15. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

This is a game of the year contender for me. If only it didn't have the weird Vaseline-covered look of Unreal 3, it'd be perfect.

I'm really annoyed that I missed the chance to get the "time to break up this party" achievement though.

16. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Heh, haven't had alot of time to play this so I went on an 8 hour straight run today got up to the part where I'm running through Killer Crocs lair in the sewers trying to collect anti-venom spores.

Any advantage to the armored batman suit you get at the end of the game? I know you can only use it in challenege mode anyway but I'm curious.

17. Red Aviary

High Score:
    It looks more badass. Which, for Batman, is an advantage.

18. justbrowsing

justbrowsing Seventh Year

The advantage to the armored suit is that you take less damage when you get hit. It's really valuable for the DLC Crazy Night's when you have to fight until you drop.

19. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Ah awesome, was wondering how people manage to get such high ass scores on the "Totally Insane" map, goddamn lunatics keep jumping me.

20. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Holy Bad Pun, Batman!

Just beat the game a few days ago, what with the free time I am now given with no job. >_>

Frankly, while the end-game wasn't exactly in Joker's MO, the plot for the most part fits Joker pretty damn well. Epic to see the B:TAS cast back together.

The character designs were pretty fucking epic, too. Save for, of course, Heroine-Fingers Crane. Would have been awesome if they'd have taken a little more of the comic it takes its name from too. Harvey "I pissed my pants without my coin" Dent would have been good for a laugh. More of an active role from Riddler, or an appearance from Mad Hatter would not have gone amiss either.

But over all, I'm pretty fucking pleased with this. Controls were surprisingly awesome and responsive. Combat could have been more in-depth, but for what it was, it works. The acting was top notch without being over the top. The only real complaint I have is the lack of more Ivy, Quinnzel, and the Camera sucked. :|

Why do so many games have Camera issues. >_>

A word of warning; You will be given a new love of Ivy and Quinnzel after this, and be looking for Batman/Ivy or Quin. They don't exist. Or they suck massive. Prepare for disappointment.