1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Project Natal: New from Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Josh Trapt, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Josh Trapt

Josh Trapt First Year DLP Supporter

Found this vid online after a guy from work told me about it. Xbox has decided to remove controllers completely from gaming with this new innovation. The vid shows a bit of what can be done with project natal.

My apologies if you are unable to simply click the URL to link to the vid. Doing all this with my iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACt9R9z37U&feature=youtube_gdata

2. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Milo is fucking creepy, that's all I'm going to say. And :awesome

My buddy showed me this last week. I jizzed my pants.

3. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Saw this a while ago; still jizzing.

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Saw this a while ago. Thought it was completely retarded. Still do.

5. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I wonder how fps' will work? Use your own gear? "Ahhh fuck mom, I shot the tv again!"

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... this hasn't been new since E3 2009. Few months ago, I think.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

First time I've seen it. Motion sensor stuff like that has a lot of promise. I played the boxing game in the ESPN Zone in DC in July that follows your movements pretty dead on, and it's hella fun, and a nasty surprise workout.

I played Wii for the first time a few weeks back, and had it confirmed for me, that the shit is uber fail the way they did it, (golf game especially was fucking random as to what it registered) lets hope Microsoft can get it right.

Needz moar Minority Report style controllers!

8. Bikiluf

Bikiluf Seventh Year

Meh, I don't think they'll manage to make it too user friendly. My experiences with voice recognition and stuff like nintedo wii has left me in dissatisfaction about how well it works as opposed to how they are supposed to work. If they do though geeks will finally be able to get some exercises. Or learn martial arts from games like Mortal Kombat,

imagine:

Bully: "Gimme yo' lunch money, foureyes!"
    Nerd: "Fatality (rips off head with the spine still attached)" :awesome

9. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think this is a massive, world-wide conspiracy to make the lazy population of the world that just plays video games and eats fast food (me) skinny. I mean, how can you possibly not get fit when you literally have to do every movement your character makes. How would you play an FPS? rofl, that would be a blast.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Heh, I played at that exact same ESPN Zone the first time I played the boxing game. I was pissed because I got all sweated out while technically on a date >_>

I'm assuming that you would simply need to mimic the actions of whatever weapon you were using: pulling the trigger, pumping a shotgun, cocking a pistol, changing the magazine, switching weapons, etc...that would actually be really awesome, if they do it the way I'm vizualizing it. Some of those are rather small gestures though, so maybe they didn't show those kinds of games because they're still working on it ? I mean, HALO is obviously one of their most popular games, and they have to know that the majority of XBox players aren't sitting around with their families when gaming lol.

11. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I thought Natal would still have controllers, just that some games could be played without them, while the majority of games would still be played normally with a controller.

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Wii are so fucked. ^_^ And this is definitely something I'd buy. Anyone know if it's an entirely new console or just a new piece of hardware and software?

Also, slowest formula one tyre change ever, and LOL at "How many pushups can Chuck Norris do?"

13. Bikiluf

Bikiluf Seventh Year

None, he pushes the Earth down.:awesome Sorry, just had to say it.

14. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Saw this over the summer in one of my brothers Xbox mags, I dont play xbox, but if this thing came out I might just start.

It was a while back, but I seem to remember the article was going on about how the technology could track even small figure movements, so I think this wouldn't be a problem.

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I just had a thought - remember the Wiimote 3D hack? I'm sure this could be easily implemented, which would be mega :awesome.

EDIT: It'd be one player only though, which is a bit of a downer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  16. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

Yeah, Natal is pretty old news by now. Same with the Sony version. Have to say though, I agree with this:

The whole concept irritates me. At best we're going to have games like Halo:Natal with the 12 year olds that seem to populate Live jumping round their living rooms acting like morons rather than sitting down with a controller acting like morons. At worst, it'll turn the console into the Wii.

It's a shafting of the existing 360 demographic really in favour of the casual market, and that annoys me. Why can't they just focus on producing high quality stuff for the base rather than chasing after the money/casual market?

On the topic of controllers, they won't phase them out, but the odds are that some games will be Natal only. If you look at the Milo demo for example, there's no way that would work with a controller. Much like games like Guitar Hero, it'll be either "You get the hardware, or you can't play the game".

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Meh. A game is only really "one player" if you don't have an internet connection. Excluding Rock Band, I don't often have people over playing video games, and don't know anyone else who does. There are exceptions, obviously, but I doubt that would kill Natal's appeal all that much.

Doubtful. It's not like any old action will execute a proper move in the game...it would defeat the whole point of the recognition software. Excluding the occasional remote slip, I've never seen anyone spazz out while using the Wii *shrug*

If anything (and I admit to being pretty optimistic here), it'll be more of a challenge playing against these kids; what they lack in skill, they make up for in unending energy. Ever chase around a bratty little kid who didn't want to get caught/take a bath/ go to bed? Yeah.

Because the casual market is bigger ? Because they're more likely to spend their money ? Because pushing new tech is what the gaming industry's always tried to do?

Unlike Guitar Hero, the Natal hardware isn't limited to only one game, and it sure as hell won't be as much of a money sink - given that you aren't mashinging or banging on anything.

Hell, just look at the trailer for 'Gamer'. If this gets even close to that (minus the real people control), I don't see how this won't be a hit to casual and hardcore gamers alike. The games would be incredibly immersive; you'd have to have some modicum of fitness to play a fighting or fps game for an extended period of time, which means getting your money's worth on a game (instead of simply beating it in four 6-hour runs).

The only downside is the carpet in front of one's tv getting worn the fuck out, I suppose.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Dude, when we went, we walked like 30 miles the first day, fucking everywhere walking, she refused to take the goddamned Metro. When we finally went into the Zone, it was like a 40 minute wait, so we went down there to play. I got wiped the hell out playing that game, as in couldn't walk from there to the White House like we wanted to to get more night shots. I was covered in sweat. And then you know the seating on the middle floor, those fucking halogen spot lights, I was roasting trying to eat my dinner.

I hated the giant combos it expected you to do to beat the boxer at the end, I think one was like a 30 punch quick as you can jabfest, they didn't register the motion cap right, but the ducking and the swinging was awesome.

The main existing 360 demographic isn't already all for mindless supereasy bullshit? News to me ;)

(you can actually play Guitar hero without the guitar btw, it's a LOT harder, lol)

But yeah, I can see combined games. Think of something like a swordfighting game. You'd have all the buttons for the combos and stuff, but you could move your controller in all axises to block, swing, etc. Fight Night would be awesome for a setup like that.

This reminds me of one of the very, very few funny parts of the failfest that was the recent movie "Funny People". Where Rogen talks about how his video game told him he was fat, it's like his weed telling him he's lazy.

19. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Just a small black bar that sits on top of either your tv or a nearby stand of some sort.

20. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

You can? Heh. I always assumed it was not possible.

But yes, combined games are the way I see it panning out in 95% of cases. I do think there will be some Natal only games though - just aninkling I have after watching the demo.