1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I still can't believe somebody actually quoted the Harry Potter wiki, because that 'definition' of the Dark Arts has been debated to death and isn't even particularly relevant, and do you know why? Because that's one person's opinion on canon, which this story isn't even attempting to be. Let alone the fact that the term 'Dark Arts' is so over-used (both in canon and fanon) that a good definition is extremely hard to come by these days.

To the author: I'm liking where this is going, and it looks like this is going to be one of the few first year fics I actually like, and that's saying something. Props on solid effort, and though I'm a little surprised at Harry's openness, I'm looking forward to what you plan to do with Durmstrang, because the only good interpretion I've seen regarding that fic was in Fur Dans Grobere Wohl, an extremely interesting Grindelwald-era fic in which the main character goes to Durmstrang - and the main character is an Aryan Nazi sympathizer.

2. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

What I am trying to say is the author of this story says he is going to make the Dark Arts like canon. Well I don't understand what he means by that. Canon Dark Arts are a heavily debated topic. So I am just wishing he would clarify what the Dark Arts would be like in his story.

I actually agree that the Dark Arts shouldn't be corruptive since it doesn't make sense since all canon signs point to magic being a neutral.

Also why is Nathan's Godfather Wormtail?!?! Wouldn't they have changed that after finding out Wormtail was a Death Eater?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  3. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Hey everybody, my beta is going through some personal issues right now and isn't able to take a look at my revised chapter 3. Is there anyone who is willing to clean up some of the grammar for me before I post it onto FF.net? PM me if you're interested.

Okay, perhaps I wasn't clear when I said this piece of information wasn't important. Peter being officially named Nathan's godfather will never be mentioned. I thought about writing a scene with Lily and Nathan talking about Peter, but it was just a sappy piece of shit, so I nixed it.

@Sesc: Thanks for the PM, I've found a new location for Durmstrang.

@Silens: Glad you like the story. I just saw Fur Dans Grobere Wohl a few days ago, but decided not to read it. I've got my vision of Durmstrang, and I don't really want to start taking stuff from other people right now.

I should have the last scene for chapter 3 out pretty soon.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Work by Author is also capable of doing that. That's part of it's raison d'être, actually.;)

5. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

I hate to sound nagging over something that won't even be in the story but it seems absurd to me that the Potters would keep a Death Eater as Nathan's godfather. Even if it isn't going to be in the story that seems extreme to not simply change it from a Death Eater over to Remus. You don't even have to add it to the story the simple fact that Nathan's Godfather is STILL Wormtail knowing about all the people who want the Potter's dead and how if they die his legal guardian is a Death Eater and not changing it seems OOC of the parents you portrayed. Of course this is just me nit picking since you said it wouldn't even be in the story however the simple fact that they haven't changed his guardian if they die to someone other then a Death Eater seems strange. It seems like something that would be obvious to change the godfather of a godson to someone other then one of the people who wants the godson dead.

6. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Can you even change someone's godfather?

7. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

I don't think having someone be your godparent is legally binding. It might in the Wizarding World however it is most likely their will that will decide who the child goes with if the parents die. Considering a godparent is most likely a unofficial title I don't see why they wouldn't change it immediately after finding out Wormtail is a Death Eater. If it is a official title then why wouldn't the Ministry allow it changed after finding out the godparent has actively brought harm to the family of his godchild. So really Wormtail staying Nathan's godfather is nothing more then a mild irritant whether godparents are legally binding or not in the Wizarding World. Which is why keeping Wormtail the godparent confuses me so much.

8. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Maybe wizards just don't care. I don't think they're actively keeping Peter as the godfather, they probably instated him once then forgot about it. As far as we've seen, wizards could give a fuck about the actual religious process, they just like holidays. Also, this has to be the most useless nitpick ever addressed, since it's not even in the story.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  9. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

Legally you probably could, but when you christian your baby a godfather and godmother is named and recorded. So if you want to change your godparent, I dunno, re-christian your child?

Legally godfather and godmother means jack shit, it's just when you christian your child you need to have one.

EDIT:

Read the post before this. Heres my response:

^ agreed. Who gives a shit really.

10. Calen

Calen Fourth Year

When you christian your child? Hahaha. It's 'Christen'. Haha....

11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually, legally speaking, a godparent is the designated person whom you are to go if your parents die and you are underage.

12. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Really? I didn't think godparents was a legally binding agreement? Isn't it the will that matters?

Also about the nitpicking. No good stories have been updated in a few days so I am bored and would like to get other peoples thoughts on godparents.

Their has to be some type of clause allowing someone to opt out a godparent after finding out the godparent is a evil blood supremacist who wants the godchild and the godchild's family dead. If they don't have a clause like that then they obviously hadn't thought far enough ahead when coming up with the idea of godparents.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  13. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Man just stop. Wormtail is Nathan's godfather. End of story. Stop making me think this story has been updated by complaining about something that has no relevance in this story.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  14. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    ... note that it's from the author ^...

15. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

I am sorry I misspelt something on the internet. :eek:

16. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

What.

The.

Fuck.

17. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wow, how gracious of you. You have just allowed us to post on our forum. Thank you, do not come again.

No, I mean it. Get out. Or at least post a proper introduction so we can shout at you there.

18. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

What Harry Potter series are you talking about?

Are you talking about an animated series? Cartoon or CGI?

Or is this some attempt at Trolling?

19. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Nancy you fail.

20. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Guys... don't feed the trolls.

When it's a fucking tard talking about "motivated" and "inspired" and there's no useful shit other than a sig filled with links to personal growth and inspirational quote sites then it's a spamming troll.

Deleted, banned, and moving on now.

Not open for further replies.