1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Warhammer 40k crossover ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by eviloply90, Oct 26, 2009.

1. eviloply90

eviloply90 Backtraced

hi i am kinda new to forums and stuff but thought i might has well join the best. okay i am writing a hp war40k crossover and i need some ideas the basic skelington is a gray knight harry pre hogwarts with a twist that shall be revealed to readers has they read through. i need some ideas about how harry gets to the 40k universe ideas for characters and stuff like that i aim for more than one book i am okay for lore being a fan of 40k since my teens although any help with the lore will be thanked anyhow ive already started and we will see what we can think of together

2. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Protip : nobody will take you seriously as a potential writer if you don't fix your spelling and grammar.

Also, if you want help developping the plot, it might be useful to have more than "Harry is a grey knight".

I'm a relative noob to 40K, but the random Chaos portal or shit should be enough for suspending disbelief as to Harry's travel to the 40k universe.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If Harry got sent to the 40kverse, he'd either be sacrificed as a powerful psyker to provide fuel for the Golden Throne, shot as a heretic or killed in one of a billion different ways, and he sure as hell wouldn't become a Grey Knight. Grey Knights go through many, many years of physical training, genetic enhancement and indoctrination. They are the most zealous of the Emperor's zealots when it comes to fighting Chaos, and by the point it would take to get to being a Grey Knight, Harry Potter would no longer be Harry Potter. Hell, he'd only use Imperium Sanctioned rituals in his battle against the Forces of Chaos, so he wouldn't even have Harry Potter magic.

All in all, it's both a terrible idea and completely unworkable. Hell, crossing over anything with Warhammer 40k is almost impossible because the 40kverse is just that damn brutal. Even if you crossed something so overpowered on the magic front like the Wheel of Time series (where they command what amounts to the energy that makes the universe tick), they still wouldn't stand a chance against the trillions upon trillions of enemies that populate the galaxy in the 41st Millennium.

4. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Wow, I really need to pick up a Warhammer 40k book or something, sounds damn epic.

5. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

This. And I was doing so well in my nerddom therapy. Or not so well, considering I'm here and all.

6. Aekiel

High Score:
    That's a brilliant idea, and there just happens to be a series devoted to the Grey Knights if you are so interested. I'm not as much a fan of those as I am of the Imperial Guard though. If you want an easy read and less-brutal-than-usual entry series to the 40kverse though, I'd start with the Ciaphas Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! series. It's a more light hearted take on what life is like in the Imperial Guard (which is basically an army consisting solely of Red Shirts with a command structure mimicking Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia). If you read those and enjoy them, I'd then suggest the Gaunt's Ghosts series, which is pretty accurate in the brutality section but epic on a level you will barely comprehend :p.

Then again, if Space Marines aren't your area of interest there are plenty of other novels that focus on the more alien side. There are ones focusing on the Eldar, on the Tau (the 'good guys' of the 40kverse, who practice mass sterilisation and forced labour), especially on Chaos (as an adversary) and even a few on the Tyranids (always as an adversary, since they're more inhuman than anything else in the galaxy).

Also, TVTropes has a lot to say about the 40kverse in general. If you have several hours to waste and can't think of what to do, go through these ones:

Warhammer 40,000
    Crapsack World - Where Warhammer 40k takes the top spot.
    Ciaphas Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!
    Grey Knights
    Horus Heresy - The back story to much of the 40k lore. Features Horus, favourite son of the Emperor and Warmaster of the Imperium, and his fall to Chaos. It's a story kind of like Oedipus Rex, where you know the outcome, but the story tells you how it got there. Also one of the best book series I've ever read.

Also, just for the lulz. Eldrad Ulthran is a Dick. Read it. All you need to know is that Eldrad Ulthran is a powerful Eldar psyker, and has an almost unmatched ability to see the possible threads of the future.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  7. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne!

That is all.

Also, OP, you fail. You would probably mangle a wonderful Berserker!Axe!Harry into something horrible.

Ohwai-

8. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Getting a 40K book? It better be a Cain one.

Anyway, if Harry showed up in 40K-verse, he'd last for the ten seconds it takes an Ork to use his puny head for a paddleball.

And all of you can just bow to Papa Nurgle now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  9. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

If you're going for a 40K book, you really can't go wrong with the Horus Heresy series. Or maybe that's just me, because I play the game and have always wanted to see Horus. Failing that, I loved the Soul Drinkers.

Oh, and to the Khornite up there: All I can say is you fall before the might of Tzeentch.

10. Aekiel

High Score:
    Oh yeah, forgot that part. Pretty much every event in the 40kverse has any one of (and likely all in some way) Tzeentch, the Deceiver C'Tan and Eldrad Ulthran steepling their fingers and saying, "Just as planned." They define the term chessmaster in their schemes.

11. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

Shinji and Warhammer 40k used to kick ass... before the author went overboard.

Also, Khorne is naught but a slavering psychopath in the eyes of Slaanesh. Even the Space Marines fall to the might of Daemonettes.

12. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

All fall before the Outcast God.

13. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Didn't Tehan have a Warhammer40k crossover in the works? Or was that something different?

14. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Harry as a Grey Knight wouldn't work. You will have to think harder.

I once played with the idea of crossing HP and 40K by making wizarding families the Navis Nobilis. Part of them wish abolish the old rules about forced inmarriage while others want to preserve the purity of their blood, fearing that their abilities might dilute if they add outsider blood. In the end Harry would kill Lord Voldemort and the good guys would win, only to realise that their infighting resulted in the destruction of half the Imperium. Whoops?

15. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Yes, he did, though admittedly at this point I'm only working with a single element from the 40k verse.

Also, on top of what everyone else has said, part of the Grey Knight indoctrination is to ensure they're completely faithful to the Emperor, then mind-wipe them and start over, so even memory fragments from their old life wouldn't have anywhere a daemon could latch on to. Grey Knight Harry just plain wouldn't be Harry. It would be Generic Grey Knight.

Any version of canonical Harry being dropped in the 40k verse would not make so much as a splash, let alone a ripple. Harry would be maybe a Theta-class psyker with his wand, and would be lucky to reach Kappa-level without it. Golden Throne fuel.

16. Random Shinobi

Um... What? He can kill with a word. That makes him at least delta-class psyker, possibly beta-class.

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    Yeah, but he can only kill one person at a time with a word. A delta level psyker is capable of mass-mind reading, advanced telekinesis or any other number of warp skills. Harry just doesn't match up to that, though we are admittedly trying to compare a more versatile type of magic with a brute force one. Wonder if Avada Kedavra could kill a Chaos God.

18. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Found Horus Rising at my local library today and ordered Hero of the Imperium off Amazon.

Do the Ciaphas Cain novels have to be read in chronological order because it has a continuous plot? Or am I good just ordering any one out of the series?

19. Random Shinobi

Well, yeah... Harry could never win a simple slugfest against a delta-class psyker, but his control far exceed that of even alpha-class. Controlled transfiguration and conjuration, not to mention Apparation, are far beyond the abilities of most psykers. Certainly no theta-class could ever do any of those.

20. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

You'll want to read 'em in order, because it is a continuous plot and you'll have no idea what's going on if you don't.