1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Warfare 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kang, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Game is regular price here $59.99 for the regular edition, unfortunate for you guys.

I honestly don't understand the price difference... but here.

Play.com has it for £44 with free shipping.

I've had $150 down for my preorder for 3 months already.

2. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Watching that stream last night got me all hot and bothered. Thank god Tuesday isnt that much longer.

3. Twisted

Twisted Guest

And then have to endure something with even patchier backwards-compatibility, shoe-horned in motion-control and a poorer online service (free =/= good, as a friend and I discovered - the UK online service at least is laggy as fuck), for the low, low price of £insane? I'm fine, thanks :p That said, getting into a console fanboy argument will just derail this. I have both (360 was second hand, £cheap), and I regret ever buying a PS3.

Reminds me of the Sims 3 with the new online store. Less items/haircuts/whatever in that version than any other release version of a Sims installment, yet miraculously all the items you would assume would be in the release package were avaliable for micropayments on an EA shop site.

Hooray for gaming :p

4. Dr. Strange Lulz

Ok well Chopper Gunner is disgustingly overpowered, just saw a 25 kill streak using it on a live stream.

5. Benjin

Benjin First Year

What kill streak do you need to get the Chopper Gunner?

6. Dr. Strange Lulz

Remember that Killstreaks stack now, so if you get all 4 packages from an Emergency Airdrop you can have 2 UAVs, a Predator Missile, and an AC-130 ready to use one by one whenever you so desire. And you can always get more in the meantime.

Best info here: http://www.modernwarfare247.com/

But they didn't have worthwhile descriptions of some so I filled in the blanks.

3 kills
    UAV
    Shows enemies on the minimap
    Deploys a UAV to scan the map and reveal enemy locations. enemies with coldblooded perk will not be revealed

4 kills
    Care Package
    Airdrop a random killstreak or ammo
    Deploys by throwing a red smoke grenade. The care package can be picked up by anyone once it hits the ground, including the enemy team.

4 kills Counter-UAV
    Temporarily disables enemy radar
    Blocks an enemy UAV

5 kills Sentry Gun
    Airdrop a placeable sentry gun
    The Sentry Gun automatically fires at enemies in its line of sight, but it can be destroyed by enemy fire.

5 killsPredator Missile
    Remote control missile
    Fires a controllable missile via laptop at a designated target area, can be boosted by holding RT. However, the user is defenseless while controlling the missile.

6 killsPrecision Air Strike
    Call in a directional airstrike
    Initiates an airstrike on a targeted area the user can now control the direction the airstrike comes from.

7 kills
    Harrier Strike
    Call in a Harrier Strike
    2 Harriers fly in, one carpet bombs and the other hovers in the target area shooting shit. The one that hovers also shoots down all other air support.

7 kills
    Attack Helicopter

Call in a support helicopter
    Deploys a helicopter to attack enemy players
    Same as COD:4

8 kills
    Emergency Airdrop
    Call in an emergency airdrop
    Drops 4 care packages, each holding a random killstreak.

9 kills
    Pave Low

Heavy armored assault helicopter
    Deploys a more heavily armored attack helicopter.

9 kills
    Stealth Bomber

Call in a stealth bomber

11 kills
    Chopper Gunner

Be the gunner of a chopper
    Chopper hovers, you shoot.

11 kills
    AC-130

Be the gunner of an AC-130
    Plane flies, you shoot.

15 kills
    EMP
    Call in a Electromagnetic pulsebomb
    Disables all electronics for 30 seconds, this includes Red Dot Sights, radar, sentries and more.

25 kills
    Tactical Nuke

Deploy a tactical nuke
    10 second countdown, everyone dies, game ends, you win.

I'll be using the Predator Missile, Emergency Airdrop, and Chopper Gunner.

7. se7en

se7en Professor

I'll be using the Tactical Nuke.

8. Benjin

Benjin First Year

Thanks man, that helped stacks.

9. Dr. Strange Lulz

Ah and for people who haven't seen it yet.

The Modern Warfare 2 Launch Trailer

(Yes that's actually the music)

And Fox is going to riot when the game releases, this is easily going to be 100x worse than the whole Mass Effect debacle... and this time we're not going to come out with a win.

First level has you playing as an undercover CIA operative embedded with Makarov. As the CIA op you follow Makarov and his cronies into an airport and waste EVERYBODY. Not talking about soldiers here. As you get out of the elevator you're staring at a crowd of about 100 civilians and you just open fire. This isn't a cutscene either, this is you actually firing (or not). Players will have the option to skip the scene altogether but... either way Fox is going to have a fucking field day with this.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  10. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

That tactical nuke thing is such BS I'm sad to say... why did they have to implement it? It makes game modes worthless when you have a party come in, wipe the floor with your team & then just nuke it. Or better yet, 1 amazing player facerolls your team & wins the game after your team put the effort in to win via the actual point of the game, ie Domination.

Serious Infinity Wrad.. The hell were you thinking?

11. Dr. Strange Lulz

The tactical nuke might happen .1% of the time.

How many times have you gotten a 25+ killstreak? And how often do you see it happen?

What you need to realize is that the average k/d ratio is somewhere around .8

99% of the people who DO have it in their loadout aren't going to be able to achieve a 25 killstreak, and the people who CAN get a 25 killstreak aren't going to be using it in the first place.

12. Agnostics Puppet

Plus, streaks with a chopper gunner or AC130 don't count toward your kill streak from what Ive been able to see. Either that, or the care package kill streak doesn't count. Either way, the guy we were watching last night didn't get another kill streak from chopper gunner.

And Dr. Lulz beat me to it. I doubt seriously we'll EVER see a nuke unless we get someone stupid good or stupid lucky person playing. Not worried here.

Edit: Though I can see it now. Someone comes in, is lucky enough to get a nuke and drops it. Then the lobby empties as people bail. XD

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  13. Dr. Strange Lulz

Haha I thought I recognized the name puppet in there.

New MP stream

Shield is a beast, but I won't be using it. Just watching the dude use makes me feel claustrophobic

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  14. Agnostics Puppet

15. Dr. Strange Lulz

Stream is good, and ya the guy is awful.

Permabanned from chat for talking shit on the mods.

(This is where I'd put a smiley face, but I don't like them.)

16. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Jesus fucking Christ, Activision...

17. Benjin

Benjin First Year

I'm just buying standard. Just wanna play the game, fuck the rest.

Yeh. I was like WTF when i read Tactical Nuke, but when i thought about, how often do you see/have a 25+ killstreak? For me, once. I was the one who got it, 27 KS baby! FG42 FTW!

18. Agnostics Puppet

To be sure. I got a 32 kill streak in W@W with the noob set up (MP40, Juggernaut, steady aim). But that was helped along by a well placed artillery strike and my dogs.

Goddamn the dogs...

Edit: Also, did you know that having multiple UAVs up is a GOOD thing now? Its not wasteful because the opposing side can shoot them out of the air.

19. Dr. Strange Lulz

20. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Microsoft finally solved their problem with too many versions, and now IW picks up the flag =/.

That said, I believe the "night vision" goggles are just Infared goggles with an IR light mounted on top. Basically the IR light sprays the area, with a bright light not visible to the plain human eye. The goggles however can detect it, and allow you to see the illumination.

The downside? You can only see how far the light is spread, which is normally only 30-40 feet. Oh yeah, and there is a small amount of light the human eye can pick up that emits from the bulb. It's not bright really, but it's still bright enough to be visible to others. Generally one goes around in the night so they aren't be seen, so why would you wear what amounts to a giant fuck-me light on your head?

It's also way overpriced. There was a toy at meijers that did the same thing that cost about $40. It was sold as a "Spy tools" kids toy.

/Rant. I hate gimmicks.