1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Path of Decision by lulu42 - T - HP/Sandman

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Vorpal, Sep 14, 2008.

1. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

I've updated with a non-sucky chapter and some plot explanation.

Actually, I'm quite fond of this one. :)

2. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Wow superb Update.
    All the alternate universes were cool especially the Naruto one.

One more chapter.

Well,update soon.

3. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

Holy Mother of Bob, I can finally say it:

Completed.

Guuuh... I feel like I've written four different stories by now. A little shaky in the beginning, but I'm rather proud of how it came out when it was all done. Plus, it was a freaking Sandman crossover.

I feel :awesome

4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Incredible story, for the past few months its been the only fanfic I've been following. I loved your characterizations and the way the story flowed together . But the lack of an epilogue makes me sad. :(

Also, what happened to the assassin subplot?

5. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

Oh shit! You're still confused about the assassin thing? Let me see if I can explain this correctly.

Harry Potter canon takes place in the Real World. My story takes place in a story world. The previous chapter and its example of alternate universes shows how smudged the lines between stories are.

The assassins were tools of Desire, characters without names, merely "Villains" in the classical sense that Desire used. She filled their hearts with a want to capture Harry. In doing so, she created a world where Harry was vulnerable enough to need Sirius, fulfilling the promise she made to him.

Sirius making the request created the need for the assassins. When the assassins work was done, they were disposed of. Harry never knew of Sirius' involvement, nor will he ever know what his life should have been: HP canon.

6. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Yes, and it's excellent. Outstanding job!

7. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Great fic. I'm sad that it's over, but the ending was satisfying.

Are you planning a sequel or any other fics right now?

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Well. Well. Well.

Well.

9. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

This.

You've left me wanting more, which I suppose is what you set out to do. :)

10. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Wow A great ending.

But fuck you,I want more,like an epilogue about Harry's meeting with his friend.

Anyway 4.5/5 for the whole fic.

11. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

:confused: I'm assuming you are talking about more of the Endless.

It's a bit weird, some of the feedback has expressed disappointment. I've always made it a point that the story follows as much as canon as possible although the journey was different. So if I were to write an epilogue, it would have an old Harry surrounded by three kids and Ginny right before he dies.

I didn't want to write that. It's better to think of him becoming a monk in India or something.

Back in May and I had an idea to tell a story based on the narrative structure of the movie Memento. I had a scene in my head and typed 400 words. I haven't really thought of it since then, so I still have to figure out the details.

Essentially, Voldemort gets Obliviated when he is torturing Harry and the only thing he remembers his his pre-Horcrux self, Eventually, Harry figures out how to manipulate "Tom" and they go Horcrux hunting together.

I would post what I have, but it would probably just piss you off that you have to wait for it.

12. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Just found this fic 2 weeks ago, in time for the the last chapter. I have to say it is pretty awesome. Thanks to you, my copy of Sandman book 1 should arrive anytime soon.

Like others have said, the assassins subplot drags the level of the story down. I get what you explained just a few posts above, but I feel Harry's upbringing as an assassin didn't really impact him that much ; sure, he considers killing Ginny, but there's not much else. Maybe you could have been a little less extreme in Desire creating a situation fit for Sirius's intervention.
    Anyway, as its importance decreases along with time, it doesn't really deter.

I rather think Klackerz meant his human friends, we don't see their reaction to Harry's ressurection or anything.

All in all, 4.5/5, rounded up to 5 because of how happy I was to see an update.

Also, here's an humble plea for a Death-pov epilogue/omake of when Harry actually dies for real.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  13. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

I hate you just a little bit. Not only did you get to read the entire story without all the waiting, but you are about to delve into the actual series. All of that mythology just waiting for you, ready to be discovered for the first time.

Maybe I'll post a Death and Harry omake thing since everyone is asking for it. I just ordered my copy of Absolute Death, which has a few Death-centered stories I haven't read. We will see how I feel after I read it.

I dont' want to attach it to the actual story, so it will probably be only on this thread.

14. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Assassins were one of my main attractions to this story when I started reading it while PoA was still being written, along with the Quirrell kill-off. I think Harry's up-bringing was mostly noticeable in the first three or so years, I remember him threatening to kill Sirius and looking like he meant it.

When my preference for rewrites that go progressively more AU through Butterfly Effect has been set aside, this is a fantastic story overall. Delirium has to be my favourite character, and there were quite a lot of thought-provoking mysteries and other things. The Endless family member I liked the least was definitely Desire, no contest.

I could write a long-winded post about all the pros and cons, but I should probably wait until I reread the whole thing.

4.5/5, rounding up for a completed rewrite of canon, such things don't happen all that often.

15. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I actually agree. I wanted a bit more of an epilogue as well.

I don't mean a scene like Deathly Hallows 20 years down the road...

I mean just show him meeting his friends again 6 months later or something.

I also was not sure if Voldemort's final vision at the end. Destruction was the star, Desire was his Horcruxes, Destiny was the aimless path, Delirium was the Frog kissing, Despair was the Shadowy figure (this one was kinda lame as it seems too similar too similar to Destiny's foggy path), Death was the Door, Dream is the boy reading the History of Harry Potter.)

Of course this leads to conflict, as Harry's story of the end, of being resurrected when Voldemort was struck, does not easily jive with the History of Harry Potter that the kids are reading (he vanquished Voldemort). Which leads us to believe that it is inaccurate.

Its like you started a sentence, but never finished the final word. If this is a story about Harry coming to terms with himself as a human being, with all the limitations and foibles therein, then you ended a bit prematurely. We know Harry is a regular human, but we have not seen him deal with such a situation; a new one for him. I'd be very interested in how he fits in; not in terms of life, but even over a lunch.

BUt you skipped all that and just said, "Eh, maybe. Who knows?" I'd have liked a bit more on Harry re-integrating.

Otherwise fine. I'm glad you got to this point, although I feel like the previous 2 chapters could have been greatly condensed.

16. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As it turns out... Shockingly brilliant.

Even considering what you did to me.

This Story: I was inspired to get the sandman volumes, so I recently reread all of them. I had forgotten some. Norton's story is still my favorite...

But I wondered about Hob - did he ever show up in your story? I feel like I missed that reference, if it was in there.

I'm of four minds on the ending. It is honestly hard to say what I might have thought of what might have been. But I approve of this ending. It feels like the conclusion was there all along.

Did you truly have the Path of Decision in mind from the very start?

17. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Ya that's what i meant.I like to read a short epilogue about Harry meeting his friends.

18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

After a rather long pause (I stopped reading at around chapter 30, when it was published), I gave this story another shot.

It was still confusing as hell, probably because I know nothing of the Sandman Universe, but that was the smallest problem. The story was full of reiterations of the same events, I think that some parts were re-told from around five not-so-different points of view. Talk about boring.

Besides making me scroll down through pages of text, the author seemed to think that mixing present tense in the narrative is a grand idea. Well, it isn't.
    Desire relaxes in the heart of her domain. The walls to Harry’s heart could easily be raised again, but Desire knows that there is nothing to worry about, it had won. Lily Potter had passed on a craving of life to her son, and now that he felt its full effects, Harry would be never leave. What’s more the blood in Harry’s veins had yielded unexpected results. How thrilling.

“My sibling, it is your sister. Can I visit your realm?” Desire hears the voice of is twin and lets her enter, calling out as soon as Despair arrives.

“Good news sister! The boy has let me into his heart once more.”

“Yes, but did you notice the other change that came about? Tom Riddle?” Despair queried. “Before he mourned his lack of body and power, but it was faint. There was a small flare of emotion when he was in possession of that other man. But the blood he used to gain back his body has connected him with his humanity once more,” Despair’s hummed.

“Oh yes! I have noticed that dearest sister. An astonishing surprise to this little game we have with Harry. A new piece for our game, a new pawn to play with.” Desire flashed a smile. “He’s never been a strong believer in love, and for once I agree with Dream. Little Riddle needs to pay for his insults. Like the first circle sister, things come around back to the beginning, and now he has no choice but to be a part of us once more. It should be great fun to watch how he handles it.” Despair nodded, and rubbed her hands.

“I believe that he will not handle it very well. I look forward to his pain,” Despair replied with anticipation. The ring on her finger was adorned with a hook, and she sunk it deeply into her skin above her heart. A trickle of blood emerged, the small droplets falling onto Desire’s carpet.

“And I look forward to see how far he will go to get what he wants…” Desire raised a glass, “And then watching him fail.”

As far as Desire was concerned Harry Potter belong to it and no one else would have him.

I can only recommend this to someone in love with the Sandman Universe, who doesn't mind mixed tenses and repetition.

My previous rating stands.

19. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

I am never, ever doing that again. It is a pain in the ass to write and when I went back to read one of my chapters to clear something up, I had no idea what the fuck was going on.

That makes me sad. :(

I had the second the last chapter in my head by the time I started writing chapter 10, which was around the time I started posting the story, which was how I came up with the title. The only thing I wasn't definitive about was Voldemort's fate.

Hmm... more clarity on his real friends. Okay. I have to think about it a bit before I write it, since I've never really thought about it. That does seem like a bit of an oversight, since the whole thing was about Harry's struggle to become normal. I hope I can get it written my New Year's.

Chuck- The lines between universes are fluid and not as clear cut as you make them out to be. Fuck, I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. What has this story done to me?

Jeram- I didn't put in Hob, but he was one of the inspirations for the story. If just having dinner with Dream once a year made him immortal, what would happen if someone was aware of the Endless all the time?
    And Norton's story and Cesar's were my two favorite ones.

20. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

After reading the last chapter I blinked because I felt like I had missed something that I remember being said in the first chapter.

When did this happen in the story?