1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

News on Changes.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck that, if Harry gets power, I want him to get it under his own command, not be a servant to some higher power.

He can get it too, imo. He is definitely strong enough.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Seconded. Especially now with Demonreach, if it is what I think it is, on his side.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I dont see Harry ever taking Mab's deal. Like he said in Small Favor, theres a part of him that would love the job. But to take the deal and become the Winter Knight would destroy what makes Dresden Dresden.

And oh yes he is fulling capable of gaining power on his own, and has been well on his way for a while. This aint Harry Potter where the annoying bitch is the only one who ever learns anything. This is Dresden Files where the main guy gets stronger, smarter, and more experienced in every book while surviving more shit than most wizards ever dream about.

And that in itself is part of what makes Harry so dangerous to people like Cowl, Nicodemus, the traitor, and basicly everyone. Harry Dresden is a survivor, might sound a little corny but its true. Harry Dresden has survived some serious shit over the years and comes out swinging and more powerful every time.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Isn't Harry also going to be getting some training from Injun Joe? Dresden with shape shifting powers would be awesome. I bet at some point he's going to turn himself into a bat to trick the Red Court Vampires because he's lulzy like that. Though, I'd prefer to see him taught by the Gatekeeper.

I've never really liked Susan, and I dislike her even more now. Not telling Dresden he has a child is a dick move. He needs to cold shoulder that bitch, call a lawyer and claim custody of his daughter.

5. Innomine

High Score:
    What do you think it is?

6. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The Gatekeeper asked him not to tap into Demonreach's power. There are some far reaching spells, and the strongest ley line in North America would probably let Dresden do something ridiculous like make someone's heart explode from half-way around the world (Storm Front style).

He keeps saying he's far better at Thaumaturge than evocation, and we've seen him do some pretty beastly evocations.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  7. Innomine

High Score:
    Where does he say that he is better at thaumatergy than evocations? I am not doubting you, just curious. That could of been just early on thoughts.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

it's okay guys.

We have Sesc to write it once Changes comes out, amirite? D8

It's more along the lines of counselling then teaching Dresden to shapeshift. -_-

This has never been said to my knowledge.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

^Seconded. He's never said he was better at thaumaturgy, quite the opposite in fact.

10. Agayek

We only truly know two things about it, 1) that it's the source of a leyline and 2) that everyone important (ie. Rashid) is rather spectacularly worried about it. Making an educated guess from Butcher's usual style, I'm of the opinion the island is either the font of magic in the world or the site of the upcoming Armageddon.

I could easily be wrong, but from reading Codex Alera and other Dresden books, it feels like the kind of thing he would do.

Edit:

Isn't it the opposite? I don't think it's ever explicitly stated, but I've always got the feeling he's better at evocation since they seem to be more his "Sledgehammer" style, while thaumaturgy seems more finesse.

11. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

No it's been said earlier in the series I'll take a look for an exact quote sometime. Until then though just look at little Chicago. That is pretty damn impressive and is a thaumaturgy type project.

12. Oz

And something he could never have done without Bob. The only examples of Thaumaturgy that I can think of and he seems to be particularly skilled with is finding things and using summoning circles. He's much more skilled with (especially as of late) fire and wind evocations, and creating magical artefacts to aid him like his bracelet and kinetic rings.

13. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

What you're thinking of, fuubar, is him saying that his thaumaturgy skills getting better since he started teaching Molly how to do it, I believe.

14. Agayek

The creation of such items is Thaumaturgy, unless I'm much mistaken.

15. Oz

Thaumaturgy is doing something on the small scale, investing energy into it, and making it happen on the large scale.

Making a staff is... carpentry, really. :/

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You're mistaken. :p

Considering Thaumaturgy is on the Darkside's side of the fence i'm pretty sure he isn't teaching Molly it.

I completely forgot about Little Chicago.

And Harry totally fucked that up.

If not for Lasciel he would have been nuked by his little project.

o_o

17. Nigh7

Nigh7 Muggle

i had the audio book 10 if im not mistaken about wich one
    it had 9-10hours of audio, and i really liked

18. Oz

... What? Thamaturgy isn't dark. >.> YOU'RE WRONG, JON! WRONG!

19. Agayek

This. Thaumaturgy is not dark in the slightest. It can be, but no more so than evocation. Tracking spells are thaumaturgy, and he uses those all the time.

I think potions are too, which is why I thought the creation of the rings was as well.

I may be overgeneralizing, but it seems like anything that requires an actual ritual is Thaumaturgy while anything that can be done on the fly is Evocation.

20. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thamaturgy (sp?) is all about connections. Creating something on a small scale, then investing your energy to make it happen on a large scale. Hair and blood are commonly used. Every tracking spell Dresden does is thamaturgy, as was his trick with the Snoopy doll. Dresden has said his specialties are tracking spells and blowing things up. All of this taken from the earlier books.