1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Next Biggest Thing Since Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Illution, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

I just saw this trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xko1Mx5w4tg
    I noticed that it's the director of the first HP movies, and I got a feeling that after the first movie, sales for the books will sky rocket like it did with HP, and Voilà! I predict the next craze to be Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Lol. I already read the Olympians series. It's actually pretty good. I enjoyed reading them, though I didn't care enough to buy them. Just read them in the bookstore. They're children's books, finished each of them quite fast. I can't see myself rereading them, though, there was nothing really... spectacular, I guess, about them.

3. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Apparently they tweaked the age up by a few years from the books to appeal to an older audience. Also just noticed that Pierce Brosnan is centaur teacher. I didn't recognize 007 with that beard. luckily there were copies in my condo's library so I'm going to be reading trough them now. I'll know if it's good if I skip sleep to read it like I did with the HP books.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yeah, I watched the trailer. I've already seen a few things wrong.

Aside from the blatant Apple iphone advertisement, the fact that he knew about his ability to stay under water for a while isn't canon. And Annabelle definitely wasn't already confessing her feelings for Percy. At this point she should still be in love with some other dude.

And it's been a few months since I've read them... but I don't believe Percy is supposed to go up to Olympus until the very end of the book. The trailer implies he goes much sooner.

I only saw a brief mention of what COULD have been Camp Half-blood, hopefully they didn't cut the entire part out.

5. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I've never read the series, and not for any good particular reason. My little brother refuses to read Harry Potter and instead raves about this 'better' series to annoy me. Out of sheer spite I refuse to read his favorite, and he refuses to read mine.

Yeah, cool story bro.

6. Name

Name Squib

Huh, as a lover of antique this amuses me. I like how is name is Percy. I was always fond of Perseus, even if he was a knock-off Heracles. Can someone give me the basics of the series?

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rhiw (sorry, I just can't type 'Name' without it sounding strange in my head): It's a fantasy series set in the modern day. The Greek gods and goddesses are all real.

Mount Olympus is in New York City; at the top of the Empire State Building, to be precise. Olympus and its gods move everytime the center of Western civilization shifts. In the books, it's been in Paris, London, Madrid, etc etc.

And of course, there's a big prophecy, which Percy may or may not be the main part of.

Like in the myths, the gods and goddesses are incredibly promiscuous and have many children, demi-gods. Each of these demi-gods have powers, relating to their divine mother/father. They learn to use these powers every summer at Camp Half-blood, where they are put into cabins relating to their god/goddess. Everyone except for the top 3, Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. The reason for this is because the big prophecy involves the progeny of one of the big three, and since they didn't want the prophecy to be fulfilled, they agreed to not have any more children. Therefore, Percy being the son of Poseidon is a huge deal.

Aaaand, the story takes off from there.

8. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

I've always loved Greek mythology, but seen it done badly too often.

So how is the writing? Do the characters develop as the series goes on? Does it hold your interest? Or is it just an episodic children's book series with no real climax?

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yes, the characters develop. And yes, it held my interest. And it's not episodic, really, there's an underlying plot (the prophecy) throughout the series.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The trailer does look entertaining, and it's already inspired one argument with a friend as to how much it rips off Harry Potter (weirdly, I was defending it :s) The action looks fun, and Pierce Brosnan is always good value. Even better, the lead doesn't come across as too annoying from the trailer!

Should be a fun film to kill a couple of hours with. I may have to give the books a try as well.

11. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I read the first three books, but they never really held my attention, this looks like it could be pretty good though.

12. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

That's a pretty stupid reason.

On topic: Haven't read the books yet, but the trailer has me wanting to check'em out. Although this has all the makings of an HP trailer: show most of the good shit early, get let down in the theaters.:(

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I read those books a long time ago. My mother works at the Library here in Wanaka, which means that I get pretty much any new book series that looks remotely good and/or interesting.

This series was... ok. It is definitely a children's book, and does a good job at that. I'll probably end up watching the movie too.

14. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Read them ages ago. It's basically Greek legends for a lazy generation.

15. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

Its certainly holding my little brothers attention, the only non-manga to do so. It has even diverted him from reading the newest Naruto manga. It has me wanting to read it to see what has him hooked. I got him the series for Christmas, so after he is finished with them I get a crack at them.

EDIT: Just saw the trailer and it looks awesome. Much better then the snippet that was shown before the HBP. The Harpy thing was freaking hilarious. The situation, not the Harpy; she was kinda creepy.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

How kiddy is the series? Like, Potter level of kidlikeness? The movie makes it seem almost interesting.

17. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Pretty fucking hardcore level of kiddiness.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

A little more kiddy then HP, Zombie.

19. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Well fuck.

20. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I don't know about the kidiness of the movies though. The fights in the book seem like they could be good on screen if they're done well. Like the fight with the Minotaur, Furies, and Ares. The book it self has a lot more action than HP so it might be worth watching just for some good old sword action, if not for the bearable plot.