1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Denarian Lord by Shezza 88 - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by XxEnvyxX, Jun 29, 2008.

1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

threw

Awesome update. Unless you kill Meciel, that is. You won't, will you? Because it would be a shame to have to hunt you... and you know.

klackerz has a point, what if Harry destroyed the fake Horcrux in that cave and the real one is still out there in the open? That could be a perfect opening for another story but we already know that's not going to happen.

I loved the way Dumbledore got his wand back. I was wondering how would you deal with the situation, so it wouldn't feel too contrived. You succeed.

What can I say, I can't wait for more.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't remember the Diadem being destroyed. o____O Also, I can't imagine a reason for Dumbledore to cover up the fact that he saved Harry's life. (If that's what he did.)

3. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

He might want everyone to think that Harry is dead, so the whole Denarian thing might blow over. Also, being dead would afford Harry some useful anonymity. All in all, after everything Harry is done, it would be convenient for him to 'disappear'. At least, that's how I saw Dumbledore's thinking.

4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Harry is no condition to fight the Ministry right now. He was in no condition to stay alive without Dumbledore's help. And we all know what Dumbledore thinks about openly defying the Ministry.

And Dumbledore destroyed the Diadem, right before he was saved by Amanda, remember?

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really? Must have skimmed that.

6. Twisted

Twisted Guest

I thought about the Locket but just assumed the Shezmeister would explain it as having had Regulus destroy it himself, before leaving the fake locket behind.

Otherwise, giga ending. Harry will probably live, as is suggested, but frankly I want that. If he doesn't, his death and Meciel's death was one of the most giga endings ever.

So... unresolved things:

Who was the hooded figure from the end of Knight?
    Locket?
    Verriene?
    Knights?

7. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I don't get it. Harry died from the soul severing curse? But Dumbledore stopped that? If so, how come Harry/Mec are convinced they're going to perish?

8. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Harry and Meciel know they are dying. They have fallen unconscious from their wounds and fully expect to die soon. Dumbledore finds the body in it's last breaths, remember, and presumably does something with the Elder Wand to heal Harry, or maybe put it in some sort of coma like Harry did to Amanda in Denarian Renegade, giving his body enough time to heal. Either way, they survived.
    It's kinda like how Harry thought he was going to hell before, but survived because of Meciel.

Aside from that, wow. 100 pages of reviews just for this installment. That's pretty cool...

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Frankly, I think what I am most disappointed about is that the story thread didn't get beyond 3 pages.

I have to say, I've revised my opinion on the action that you write now. Back at the end of DK, it was average, but starting to get better. I think you're getting the hang of it now, the HP/VM duel was great.

Looking forward to the epilogue. Not reading it before I finish rereading the whole 3 books though. :p

10. Torak

Torak Death Eater

The conclusion of the VM/HP fight was epic

Your Voldemort is one of the best portrayal of him I ever seen

R.I.P Voldemort for you was the greatest

11. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

This. The battle between Harry and Lartessa was one of the best fights in the whole trilogy.

Can't wait for the epilogue.

12. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Nice. There at the end, when Voldemort was still somehow holding onto life while lying there with Harry looking down on him, I imagined Harry transfiguring his shoes into big ol' stompin' boots and just grinding him into goo.

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Sounds like Dumbledore executed Harry, but he said Harry couldn't keep both his wand and his life. So if he retrieved the Elder Wand, Harry presumably would live.

14. AnvariX

AnvariX Second Year

Excellent update - truly a fitting conclusion to the trilogy, minus the epilogue. We, of course, know that Dumbledore will have done something to save Harry...

However, a truly chilling omake just occurred to me, that perhaps someone might want to tackle... A scene in which Dumbledore, for the greater good, kills Harry in his weakened state; it might make for an interesting foray into Dumbledore's motivations.

15. Russell

Russell Muggle

Right. I'm ready for the flames, but I felt it was necessary to do this. I made an account just to say it, actually.

This chapter was disappointing. Nobody seems to be willing to say that? Or maybe you're under the impression that it was actually good.

It was rushed, it was sloppy. There were mistakes, there were a number of awkward turns of phrase. Moreover, the fighting itself was compacted and described in generalities. Not at all up to Shezza's usual standard. The bit with Meciel and Harry was just a rehashing of the scene from the LAST time he "died". Not to mention the fact that it felt forced.

The entire chapter seemed rushed, actually. I got the impression that Shezza was cutting corners to meet the self-imposed Christmas deadline.

While Shezza is normally an exemplary author, this entire chapter was weak. It was contrived. It was a miserable and disappointing way to see an otherwise excellent story, that I've been following for the last year or so, come to an end. I seriously hope that Shezza goes back and edits it at some point in the future. I personally would have rather waited another month between updates than seen one of my favorite fanfiction series end on such a low note as this.

And shame on all of you who said it was excellent. It wasn't up to par, and you all know it. This fell well short of the standards that Shezza set with the rest of the series. Feel free to flame me, but I stand by what I said. This is a black mark on an otherwise fine series.

[/relurk]

16. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Im afraid I have to agree. Theres not much I can add that Russel there didnt already say. This chapter just didnt feel up to Shezza's usual standards. I know he posted at the beginning that there would be errors, but I didnt know it would encompass more than just the spelling and occasional grammar.

Fix please?

17. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Nope.

Well, if somebody goes to the effort of scrolling through the chapter and highlighting the mistakes and awkward turns of phrase, etc, etc, then I'll obviously implement them. If not, it's going to sit as it stands. I lost the drive to this story a while ago and I just want to get it finished before I start work on some original work. I'm mostly doing it for the readers.

Yeah, you're right. It probably was sub-par and filled with mistakes and some parts are cliche as they get. But- and not to sound like a tool- I've stopped caring. My aim is to get it done and then move on.

Not trying to flame you, I'm just explaining my viewpoint. This is my last (or second-last, if you count the next chapter) entry in the world of Fanfiction and I know that if I don't get it done now then I'll never come back to it once I start that original piece I really need to get done.

Oh. For those who don't know, Jbern (uh huh, that's right) sent an email to me and a few more authors (Nonjon's one of them, iirc) about writing an original fantasy piece for a book compliation, and I think it needs to be done by Feburary.

It was less of a self-imposed deadline and more of a "Shit, I need at least a month to get that thing done" deadline.

Thanks for your honest feedback
    Have a Merry Christmas

18. carl

carl Seventh Year

Fair enough, you aren't going to write any more fan fiction after you've done the original story?

19. Russell

Russell Muggle

Well, Shezza... I can respect that, actually. I personally prefer writing original fiction, myself. Hearing that, I'm not so upset by the chapter anymore.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future. Thanks for the great story. Merry Christmas. :)

20. Sageun

Sageun Fourth Year

Well, I'm both sad and excited to hear that. The Denarian Trilogy is really among the best 3 series in the fandom.

On the other hand, I'm definitely excited to read some of your original work.

Any chance it'll have some similarity to what you put up in Original WbA? I quite liked the premise and since I recently reread it I've been wondering whether or not you planned to continue it.