1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ooh, nice to see that you're still alive and kicking. A decent update.

That's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, people don't shiver when thinking about something. You might want to consider changing that. And castration curse, really? Cliche warning there too.

2. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Clerith: 'Shivering at the thought' and the castration curse need to go asap. I'll probably end up re-writing parts of that section because I still don't like some of it. I think Calypso just comes off as too angry/aggressive at times, and I've tried to moderate her somewhat.

Oephyx: Yeah, that description of Mr. Rosier is really cliche now that I look at it. Since it's not at all neccessary to the plot, and I think I've got a much better idea, I'll change that as well probably.

The spell creation thing was a last minute addition. I've been getting a lot of questions about that class, and since I don't plan on showing it 'on camera' very much, I decided to write a quick scene for it. I really don't want to go overboard on the theory, but I wanted to provide some information on how Harry is doing in that class before I show his final project.

Fuubar: Yeah, it would probably be safe to assume that Burke is related to the shopkeeper in someway.

Chaos: I haven't decided on whether or not Burke's motivations will be made clear yet.

3. cataclysim

cataclysim Second Year

Great update! but you should increase the pace of the story a little otherwise this will take too long. I am hoping that Harry will be competing in the triwizard tournament ? If so would like to see how well he would do in four years. looking forward to that.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Excellent update! I'm also curious about motives and whatnot. I know they all have reasons to not like Potter and want him taken down a peg, but without a slightly better motive you'd think that some of them would be discouraged by the likely repercussions.

Someone pointed out the mispelling here, but I didn't see anyone point out that the thought seems to be incomplete, so just a heads up.

Awesome update. I really am enjoying this story. I liked hearing from Nathan as well and having that plot go on somewhat as planned. Looking forward to seeing Harry's reaction to Quirrell being found out as the bad guy if that plot goes the same way.

Definately 5/5 and one of my current favorites to follow.

5. Qwerty

Qwerty Second Year

Great stuff as usual. Looking forward to finding out about Harry's final project.

6. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Formatting error when you were writing/posting it here, the 'ever mentioned that before' moved itself across. Should read:

7. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

Good to see you updated. I wonder what Nathan's going to make of *how* Harry knows Quirrell doesn't stutter all the time. I have a feeling this will crop up when his parents find out Quirrell was Voldysnort and truly test Harry's commitment to Durmstrang. That's all I've got to say.

8. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

Fuck, Darth. You aren't supposed to change the text colour, just set it back to normal. On the message post screen, there is a button with two capital a's on it, slightly seperated. It has a red x through it. Clicking that kills text formatting, which includes colour.

9. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I agree.

Get to tri-wizard championship. These are growing pains. I imagine at some point people at this school learn to stop fucking with Harry, and he ends up friends with Rosier and Krum. Rosier as potential mate as well.

10. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

I second Calypso as Harry's g/f. And if I seem rude or offensive or like an idiot it's because I'm afraid of this site. Call me a faggot or a coward or a whiny little brat, I won't let it get to me anymore. One thing I think about your writing style is you need to focus more on feelings. The way these characters play out their scenes seem a little too formal in my opinion. It also feels like you are putting too emphasis on the importance of education, which I can agree with in most occasions, but I think we need less studying sessions and more character interactions. If anyone wants to tear down my review go ahead. And yes, sorry about the white print thing. I'm still new here -- it's going to take a while to get used to this.

11. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Seriously, you're going with mate? They aren't wild animals.

I agree with the whole getting to the Tri-wizard business though.

12. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

"Your fortunate it's a simple" - you're

"how to get passed Quirrell’s" - past

"get to suspicious" - too

"stuckh erebecause" - extra space

"shethin ksit'll" - extra space

13. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

Mr. Rosier waved his wand and then taped it against Calypso’s door.

The first time I read it I was picturing him duct taping his wand to the door somehow. Should have known lol.

14. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

Looks pretty decent so far Santi.

I found it pretty interesting how you restricted the rarer magical talents generally to pureblood families, as it provides a basis for why they think they're superior.

Considering the spell-chain is for the dark arts class, I wonder if Snape will find that some of the spells are of a darker nature and tell Lily about it.

Keep it up Santi.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Muggle-borns.

As for new chapter and story I have few thing to say. Firstly the list of cursed books - as I remember there was a quite discussion about it so it's nice to see it.

Marks of Grindelwald on Durmstrang walls and its mysteries. Could it be that in future Harry will find something about them? Or even the little fact what this mark really represents?

Also nice touch with purebloods bloodlines (that reminds me for some reason a bloodlines from Naruto). It's good idea to gave pureblood wizards some real reason to think that they are better than Muggle-borns.

And lastly, as much I like this story, I think that you could go faster with it or gave us some bigger plot. I understood that you need to present new school and characters, but think of it like about first Harry Potter book. It was doing that and gave as mystery of the Stone. And truthfully I personally would like to have time skip after first year and have 4th year with Harry at Hogwarts (because with his accelerated learning he could be taken as educated enough). It could work because we already know new cast and their interactions (as opposed to every fics where we meet Harry and bunch of OC from random wizard school without any showing how he ended with them in the first place), so you could give us some surprises what changed in two years (for example Kira who still don't like Harry but for some reason is very respectful to him) and later show us how that happened in flashbacks. Of course it's your story and as author you know what you are aiming for and I'm only complaining because this story is just not updated often enough for me ;).

16. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I like it!

That's pretty much canon. There isn't a single muggleborn in the whole series who is Occlumens, Legilimens, Animagus or Metamorphmagus. It's no wonder that many authors, myself included, have gone that route. It gives a good, rational basis for some people to believe in pureblood superiority.

17. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Jbern? Is that you?

18. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Contrary to popular belief Jbern did not event spell chaining. I'm not even sure if he was the first author to apply the concept to the HP universe.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Great update. Personally I really like the pace of the story.

20. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

True indeed. To be fair, though, the large majority of muggle-borns for which we know anything about their magical ability come from the Hogwarts student body - those who were attending for at least part of Harry's seven years. Among that group we know of...what? IIRC, just one occlumens in Draco, and zero Legilimens, Animagi or Metamorphmagi. But then, the apparent mediocrity of the current generation of Hogwarts students is another subject that's been discussed at length...

On the subject of Animagi, BTW, there were only seven registered Animagi in Wizarding England in the 20th century, and another four unregistered ones that we know about. This doesn't necessarily mesh badly with Santi's statistic about "less than 10 percent" of wizards having the ability. It would likely mean that only a small percentage of wizards with the ability actually succeed - it's sensible to assume that only a minority of wizards even try.

Not open for further replies.