1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

A little off topic but:

Sup Random Shinobi.. Update Beyond Grave Peril... please?

2. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

"exceptionally rare" ... "less than 10 percent of all witches and wizards have the ability" - less than 10 percent is nowhere near "exceptionally rare".

"I hope your handling everything alright" - you're

"His Charm's project" - remove apostrophe

"since he couldn't enchanting the walls" - enchant

3. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Lily probably meant that Animagi are rare, not the ability to become one. If only 10% of wizards have the genetic ability to achieve the transformation, we can assume that not many wizards bother to even try because of the huge chance of failure. And considering that the process of becoming an Animagus is supposedly difficult (and in this fic, very dangerous), it can be assumed that only minority of those who try and have the ability, succeed.

4. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

That would make sense, but if there was a "genetic switch" involved, having James, Sirius and Peter all become animagus becomes excedingly improbable. That fact makes it more likely that it behaves like most magic, and that it just takes a lot of talent to master, while some wizards have a predisposition.
    ...is the only quote I have on hand, but gives plenty of reasons why very few wizards would have mastered it.

Which, it should be argued, is precisely why it's anti-canon.

That said, I don't have a problem with stories that diverge from canon, just as long as they're aware of what they're doing.

I haven't read the whole chapter yet, will review later.

5. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I didn't like how the whole chapter felt like a big infodump. With the beliefs of Calypso being shoved down our throats at the start, Lily explaining animagi, and the list at the end, it felt less like a chapter and more like a fleshed out summary. I would've liked the information more stretched out, but good job anyway.

And if those two Grindelwald-wearing students don't come back later in the story has enemies, I'll eat my hat.

6. Random Shinobi

Not really. Remus provided the incentive and all three of them were talented purebloods, possibly from families that had produced many Animagi.

JKR's Death Eaters made absolutely no sense. It was as if they did all just for shit and giggles. I personally prefer antagonists that are at least somewhat sensible and don't do what they do For The Evulz! JKR could have said that purebloods dislike muggleborns because they destroy their culture, which is exactly what they do. There is no way the huge influx of muggleborns doesn't change the wizarding culture. Look at Hermione. She finds the wizarding world barbaric and actively tries to change it. That simply won't go well with traditionalists. But no, instead JKR made them moronic, power-hungry racist bigots with no sensible agenda.

7. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

While I did like it, I am a little wary of Calypso the super schemer. Still you haven't disappointed me yet so I'll reserve judgement until that plot line has played out. Keep it up!

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

As for rest of chapter only one thing - I hope that Calypso don't have any great evil plan for Harry. They'ra both only twelve years old kids.

9. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I hope you won't go too far with scheming 11-year-old girl. Other than that, it's good to finally see an update.

10. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I echo that sentiment.

Brought it up way back when I first suspected this. Even if Rosier the Elder has ideas - even concrete plans - regarding Harry, I'd be wary of a full understanding by Calypso, let alone long time involvement since the beginning.

At her age, she'd be as much a pawn to her father's machinations as Harry.

That being said, I continue to enjoy.

11. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I thought the implication was that her father was doing the scheming, which makes much more sense.

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well:

To me it seems that Calypso has a plan and her father is only looking what will come from this. If it was his plan he would probably told: "carry on as we have planned", so Calypso wouldn't feel she's only his pawn. There is always option that he is teaching her manipulations for beginners or something ;).

13. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Everything until the end was interesting, and intriguing, however, the last scene made me want to continue reading. Keep it up.

14. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

I like what I see. Again, as long as Calypso is only another cog in her father's machinations as opposed to being in on the whole 'plan' from the beginning, it should work out alright.

That said I'm looking foward to the Potters finding out about Calypso and old man Rosier running shit at Durmstrang.

4.5/5

Keep it up.

15. Qwerty

Qwerty Second Year

I think you could use more pronouns, but otherwise, awesome work, as always.

16. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

"the professors aren’t required to send the parents ofotifications about when" - of muggleborns notifications

"notices if audent is seriously injured." - a student

"Muggle-borns n Muggle-born st" - editing error. You're mishandling your input device somehow.

I like it very much.

17. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

Finally, the end of year one- at one point I'd given up hope on it ever happening.
    For a while I found this to be too slow despite being interesting; I was going to suggest a time-skip but now I'm pretty interested in how year-two with Rosier as Dark Arts teacher turns out. Maybe after year two you can time-skip.

So far everything's been fairly well done with only one or two minor hiccups along the way so I'm fairly confident (hoping with all my heart) that Calypso won't turn out to be some master manipulator.

Looking forward to the next update.

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Great update. I continue to like the pacing.

I'll echo everyone else who said that they are wary of Calypso being too scheming on her own. I could see her initially trying to be friends with Harry because she was asked to check him out and report on anything she heard, but beyond that ... well, she's 11-12. I also hope that she isn't just pretending to be friends after all this time, even if initially it started that way.

I look forward to more!

19. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I missed that. Since this is all speculation at this point, I'm going to assume that Calypso initiated her father's interest in Harry. I'm done speculating on characters plans/motivations until they actually show up in the story.

20. Random Shinobi

You all remember how nefarious, wicked, and evil Calypso's last master plan was? Why are you assuming that her current scheme is any worse? Perhaps she just sees that Harry is destined for greatness and intends to tack along... Or possibly she simply likes Harry and wants to keep him.

Her father, though, is entirely another story. I see four possibilities:
    1.) He wants to use Harry to get even with Dumbledore and the "Light" side.
    2.) He sees a possibility to profit from an up-and-coming super wizard.
    3.) He thinks Harry might be an acceptable match for Calypso.
    4.) He's working for Voldemort.

Not open for further replies.